Game of exponent laws blog post

This is how I solved the driving question for the Game of exponent laws Scimatics project.  The driving question for this project is: How does math make games more complex, interesting, and re-playable?

I will write the answer to this at the bottom of my post.  For this project we had to create a physical card game that uses exponent laws and invite another grade of PLP to play our game.

Here is the map for the game

Here is the cards in the game

This is my review and process of creating the game.

I think that if I were to do it again then I would try to make it less complicated, as it was an extremely complex game.

I think that the overall game is pretty fun, and I am proud of the final result.

The Curricular Competencies for this project are:

1.  Reasoning and Analyzing: Use logic and patterns to solve puzzles and play games

This means that a clear and simple points system and win conditions for the game are carefully designed.

I think that I could have done better in this competency, as the win conditions and points were designed, but it was extremely complicated.

2)  Communicating and Representing: Represent mathematical ideas in concrete, pictorial, and symbolic forms

This means that a set of clear, complete, interesting and personalized instructions are

created for how each player takes their turn. Examples are included. The game design uses at least 4 different exponent laws and using these laws is integrated into each player’s turn.

I think that I did okay with this competency, as we went to great lengths to integrate 4 exponent laws in our game, even though our instructions were not as clear as preferable.

3)   Applying and Innovating: Contribute to care for self, others, community, and world through individual or collaborative approaches

This means that all class time is used efficiently for learning without distractions. All group members contribute equally.

I think I did well with this competency at the start because I was sick for the first bit, I made up for it by spending a lot of time and effort making the cards and helping make the rules more understandable.

The steps that I took to make this game were:

Milestone 1:  For this milestone we made an interesting and unique dice rolling game with our group and collaboratively wrote detailed instructions.

Milestone 2:  For this milestone we watched a video on exponents and did an exponent quiz.

Milestone 3:  For this milestone we did a written test on exponents.

Milestone 4:  For this milestone we split into groups and wrote an outline for our game

Milestone 5:  For this milestone we made made the cards for our game and finished the rules

Milestone 6:  For this milestone we presented our game to other people

Milestone 7:  For this milestone we made the blog post which I am doing right now.

As the answer to the driving question, math makes a game more interesting because then the game is not just luck, it has some strategy too.

I learned a lot about exponents in this project

Here is a picture of the finished project.

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, and have a great day.