The war that should have ended all wars

WWI. Unless you have no clue what history is you have almost definitely heard about World War One, or The Great War, or The War to End All Wars. I really don’t like the last two, but especially that last one. Firstly, WWI was not really that “great.” So many people died, and it lasted so long with not much benefit to either side. Nobody won during WWI, not even the side that “won.” Secondly, WWI should have been the war to end all wars, but guess what? You guessed it, WWII. Not only did WWI not end all wars, but there was ANOTHER world war. WWI wasn’t even the last world war, let alone the last war, so the name “War to End All Wars” is not as fitting as it might have been during WWI. Oh, also speaking of WWI we recently did a project on it for Humanities. It was pretty cool, we read this cool comic book, we watched this cool movie, actually you should totally watch the movie. It’s called 1917 and it’s really REALLY good, like probably my favourite war movie. That’s not saying much as I barely watched any war movies but you should still watch it. Going back to the project, we made our own comic books which was really fun, but it was so hard. I spent way too much time on my drawings and probably should have spent more time on my story, but I’ll do that in the future. If you want to read my comic I’ll leave it right here. 

I am now going to show the process that we went through to make the comic:

So first we did research on the causes of wars.

I personally think that assassination is the most common way wars are started, and one of the ways to start a war. This part was a little bit boring but was quite vital for later parts of the project, so I am glad that we did it. 

After that we identified consequences of the new weapons of war, like machine guns or tanks

Then we made a paragraph on the short and long term consequences of WWI. I thought that this part was pretty interesting, and it helped me think about WWI in a different light.

This is the paragraph ⬇️

Consequences can be a very broad term, negative or positive things, long term or short term things. With something as big as World War One, there’s a lot of negatives. I think that one long term consequence of WWI was some of the technological advancements that were made. In an article from Air and Space they state that “Heavy artillery, machine guns, tanks, motorized transport vehicles, high explosives, chemical weapons, airplanes, field radios and telephones, aerial reconnaissance cameras, and rapidly advancing medical technology and science were just a few of the areas that reshaped twentieth century warfare”. This just goes to show how many new technologies were developed, continued and been the spark for many inventions further. Many of these things have are still being used in the present day, or heave led to inventions that we now use. A short term consequence was the amount of lives and money that were lost due to the war. Economic crashes and resource scarcity where seriously problematic, during and post war. An article from Centre Robert Schumann says that “There were 20 million deaths and 21 million wounded. The total number of deaths includes 9.7 million military personnel and about 10 million civilians”. These statistics show how much money and how many peoples lives were lost in WWI. It also reinforces my statement about a short term consequence of WWI being how much money and how many peoples lives were lost in the war.

Then we made a analysis on a poster of propaganda from WWI. This assignment was kinda cool, and I chose a poster that had a lot of small details in it which I liked.

This was about the time that we watched the movie, and I’ll put my reflection on my takeaway from the movie.

The war to end all wars, or WWI was a complete bloodbath where many soldiers died. One of the massive short term consequences was the huge loss of life, which caused depression in many who were close to soldiers who died in the war, and some may have even taken their own life because their son or husband had died. Another huge short term consequence was how many surviving soldiers suffered from PTSD shortly after the end of the war. To quote the graphic novel World War One: “the trauma of fighting and the psychological strain gave rise to ‘shell shock’, a new condition that many generals and medical officers gave little importance to. It is now better known as ‘post-traumatic stress disorder’.” One of the longer term consequences was that the people in power, like governments, prime ministers, queens, princes, etc. would put more consideration and thought into decisions involving war, as after the sheer length and bloodshed from the First World War, they learned that you can no longer just attack a country without considering the consequences of your actions. To quote the Nelson Text: “War has the ability to unite both people and nations as they fight against a common enemy. However, war can also be a great divider-for both the winning and losing sides. When World War I ended at 11 a.m. on November 11, 1918, the Allies claimed victory against the Central Powers. During the four years of battle, over 37 million people were killed and nearly 22 million were wounded. In addition to this massive loss of life, both sides experienced social, political, geographical, and economic short-term and long-term consequences.” This perfectly communicates how war can have huge consequences that people do not, or did not take into consideration before attacking.

Now was the time to start work on the comic. I got the war measures act, which was not my first choice, but I was kind of stuck with it so I had to make do with what I had. There was not much info on the war measures act in WWI, but basically German people got sent to interment camps for no reason, other than that they shared the same blood as the enemy. The same thing happened in WWII, and that one was more well known, so I got confused for the first day and did some research on the interment camps in WWII instead of in WWI, but I corrected myself later on. I made these planning documents, which changed later on.

I also made this storyboard, which is the skeleton of my comic, but not all things on the storyboard appeared on the comic, and I made some changes to the storyboard before I finished the comic.

I was away for a few days nearing the end of the project and apparently I missed a youtube video that we were supposed to watch as a class.

Ok, so now that you know the process that I went through to make the comic, now I am going to show how I preformed on the Core Competencies. 

Competency #1

How well have I shown interest in this project?

I think that for this competency I preformed well, as I was actually really interested in this project and WWI, so I feel as though I participated a decent amount

Competency #2

How well have I shown the ability to assess cause and consequence?

I think I did ok for this competency, as I was capable of easily distinguishing and finding causes and consequences in this project.

Competency #3

How well have I incorporated and shown proper grammar and writing in this project?

I believe that I have preformed quite well for this competency, as I think that I have a somewhat large vocabulary, and I think I used this to my advantage in this project.

That is all for today. 

Thank you for reading my blog, and have a great day