Run, almost a carbon copy.

Today I am will be sharing the experiences that my group (Owen , Gabe ) had while creating this video. Our task was to make a carbon copy of a short horror film called “Run!” And we had to use the technology that we had to film and edit the whole video, that was the hard part because it made us think creatively about how we could use IPads and mics to replicate sound and visuals from the video. With all that in mind here is my post on our Run video.

Just to start off here is the original video.

As you can tell it wasn’t filmed with some IPad, all camera angles were precise and the video quality over all is very good. Then there is also the background which would be more difficult than anything because it looks like they filmed during a sunny autumn type day setting which for us would be hard to replicate since we don’t control the weather and it is October here. Those are some of the things we couldn’t change but i’ll start sharing the process we took to complete our video.

In the beginning our teacher Ms. Maxwell showed us how to start our videos with screen play and story boards. We learned the importance or each one as well, for example our screen play shows us who is saying what and when, what are the sound FX for the scene who is playing what role in the production, all things like that. Then our story board is sets of drawing, that don’t have to be complicated, that show how each scene should look, where the people will be, location, and even a time stamp ( this tells the director how long the shot should be. Both of these things are essential for the set up of any film production and that is something we learned quite quickly.

Another thing that Ms. Maxwell told us to do was to do this quiz called the 16 personalities , what it basically does is ask you to answer about 90 questions that are all about personality and how different people think in different situations. Then at the end of the quiz it presents you with one out of 16 different types of people based on the answer you put during the quiz, but not only that it also tells you what your person type is good at and maybe not so good at. This activity showed each person what their strengths and weakness are, allowing us to be able to identify what comes naturally to us and what we might need helped with. In the end it proved very accurate and helpful as well because the survey showed us some of our natural strengths and weakness so it was easier now to divid work depending on who was better at what things. This was a cool thing that I was interesting to see what the result was for me, I was a Logistician, if you do the quiz let me know in the comments what you were.

Anyway going on to the actual filming, this part was much easier thanks to the storyboard and screen play because both showed what shots we needed and at what time they needed to be filmed at. The only problem was that it was a nasty week with rain every single day therefore the weather aspect of the video was almost impossible to complete, although we were able to brighten the scenes so that it didn’t look like such a miserable day. 

Next was peer critique, this was somewhat helpful although it could have been much more detailed. We were partnered with another group and what we had to do was watch their video twice, once so we could get a look at the video, and the second time was so we could look for specific detail and things that they could add to make the video was close to the original as possible. Then the other group did the same thing as us, but the only thing I wish everyone in both groups did was give more detailed response, I feel that we only got half of what we could have gotten.

We then had to look through the feedback for things that desperately need change and things that were smaller but also needed revisions, we actually couldn’t re film parts that day because no one had the proper costume, so most of the filming parts had to stay the same leaving us only with changing things like sound, FX and camera focus and quality. 

Now that I have explained the whole process that it took us to get to this point, here is our final video.

As you can tell the video is not identical to the original video, we can’t copy any audio from the original so we had to create it ourselves in Garage Band and even then the sounds are not so good. Even though we had all these problems I think in the end we pulled through and got the work done in our own creative way.

That concludes my post on this video and everything I learned while making it.

That’s all for now.