The Story Of Elements

To start this off I’ll be talking about what we learned about chemistry within the last few weeks. Most of us had never done much about it so we were all new learners in a way, but the topics we covered were interesting and something I definitely enjoyed personally. Our final project was to create a small video showing how different elements act like character when bonding. So here are some of my experiences during the last few weeks of chemistry.

Another fun thing to learn we did was a program which showed us what atoms are made up of which protons, neutrons, and electrons. I found that this program really helped me understand how atoms are elements. If you want to try the program click Here to try it out. This showed us our big idea which was arrangements of electrons in atoms and how they impact their chemical nature ( making them either neutral, evenly or negatively charged ion).

In another class we also learned a little bit about animations so that we could go right ahead and start with our projects, but before we started that we did and experiment. We use zinc and hydrochloric acid and combined together, we also had to animate all of the steps that is would take to get a reaction. This part was harder because we had to use Keynote and we had just found out some new techniques to help us along with the animation process, so it took us a while to find out which tools did what and how to use them properly. Once that was done we were allowed to start the experiment. This would be an important part in the later project because as already mentioned we had to create and animation that shows our learning, so this practice was helping us learn some more about animation. This is where I showed the communicating competency as I had to show how these reactions where happening using the animation on Keynote to show what was happening.

All of these things were just the build up for the main project which of course was creating the animation with the atoms models. Then second last step was picking our multivalent metal, polyatomic ion, and our covalent compound which would play the part as our characters for the video, we had to also show how the covalent compound is created and how the polyatomic ion attaches to the multivalent metal. Then after we had our story board for these animations approved, we could start the animation, these story boards show not only my story, it also shows the questioning competencies and my interest in chemistry since I created it based around what I think would happen between atoms when they bond. I created the story to show what type of humour I think would happen as well.

This is the part of my project where I used the processing and Analyzing core competency as I started to construct my models of the polyatomic ion, multivalent metal and covalent compound. Creating clear models was a very important part of the rubric so I thought these drawings were a very important part of my presentation. from there I went on showing bonding and double bonding process plus the creation of my covalent compound. I add some humour here and there to make my project more interesting and fun. Although I had fun with some parts I made sure to still clearly explain the process of electron sharing, over all I could have made it more serious because that’s how some people like presentations, but personally I enjoy a presentation that humours me and also teaches me something.

To conclude I think I have successfully created a presentation that showed my learning on the topic of chemistry and element bonding. I reflect my learning in the Project End Mind map.

That’s all for now.