Weekly post numero 3

In today’s post I will not be mentioning the podcast as much and will mainly be focusing on what has happened in this recent week, and what I thought I got out of the experiences.

To start it off we have been talking a whole lot more about Canada, and we have been diving deeper into things like what is shaping Canada today, and how has Canada become more diverse in the recent years. These are questions I don’t think anyone in my class really ever considered until this project. It turns out Canada is constantly changing, whether it is new trends, change in diversity in the population, or even amendments to our rules. These are quite important things, so I wondered why we haven’t talked about these trends more often.

However that is not what I wanted to focus on in this post. Something we have been doing throughout this week was evaluating how significant a person is. Our project is to decided who the greatest Canadian is, and so we need to be able to back our choice with evidence that proves how significant they are. 

There are five things that are crucial for judging how significant a person is that our class decided to use, Importance, profundity, Quantity, Durability, and relevance. These things are what we used to determine if a person is really as great as we think.

During this week I was able to connect the idea of significance something I was watching which I thought was very cool. I was watching a documentary about the show Schitts Creek, it gave the audience a real insight into what making the film was like and how they prepared every day in order to create such a successful show. In addition the two who started the show ( Dan and Eugene Levy) are both Canadian actors, and are father and son.

In the documentary there was a part that was mainly focused on how the show portrayed David Rose ( played by Dan Levy) the queer son in the show. The show received an incredible amount of positive support for this specific character. They were so subtle about mentioning how everyone’s gender should be equal. They had a specific quote in particular that mentioned this when David said “ I like the wine and not the label” which sparked massive support from the LGBTQ+ community. This continued to the point where they were also receiving letters from people who watched the show which said how they had found the courage to come out to their families because of show, and how it changed their lives.

There is a lot that was covered in the 44 minute documentary, however those were some points that were highlighted throughout. If you want to go and view the whole thing you can check it out on Netflix.

When looking at that through a significance lens we can see that the creators, or the show rather had a huge importance to people all throughout the world that has changed their lives. I would 100% say it qualifies for that section along with how Profound of an impact this show had, showing immense support for the LGBTQ+ community, but also showing us what a better place this earth could be if we were all good to each other.

I would say that their impact has a great amount of durability behind it was well, as they have been able to help a huge quantity of people who’s  lives will no longer be the same. The changes they made are very much relevant and will be for many years to come.

Overall I would say that I was able to get a better understanding of something that has true historical significance and now I think I am more prepared to argue my case for my first podcast episode, where I will be persuading people why the person I have chosen is the greatest Canadian.

That’s all for now.