Political Ideologies

This short 3-4 minutes video took a long time (more time than it should have). I would like to add that even though it took a lot of time, it was a lot of fun. Like any strong video the process starts with research. This stage was the hardest because first we had to choose what political ideology we wanted to do. Marley was open to anything because she didn’t really know the difference between all of them to  fine detail. All Marley really cares  about was that whatever we choose we did it well. I felt since we wanted to do a commercial that we could do a very stereotypical person no matter what we ended up choosing. We ended up deciding to make a commercial about the political ideology communism. I feel like the main reason we ended up going this root is because it’s the opposite of what Marley and I live in and its easy to almost criticize another society because we don’t live there. Also another thing to mention is that I have seen a lot of spoofs/ satires of communism through tv shows like American Dad and I felt that I had the “typical” USSR person down. So the next step after this was finding what type of commercial we were going to do…

This took so long and as hope was running out and desperation was in the horizon, Marleys brother comes in and says hey google what’s the weather like. A light ball popped in my head and we had our idea. Marley and I were going to make a commercial about the google home.

Now we had the basic premise of our project. We needed a script, and this was fairly straightforward because I based the information of communism off what I learned from edgy TV shows. Marley and I rattled off a script fairly quickly and within 50 minutes we were ready to begin filming. The next step was to storyboard. At this point it was getting a little late and we didn’t want it to be pitch black so we had to hurry, so we didn’t end up making a formal storyboard. However we did map it out. We were about to film and I realized I was wearing a Hawaiian shirt and sweatpants. I’m not the smartest person in the world but I feel that a Hawaiian shirt is not typical attire for a stereotypical communist. I am a natural problem solver so I asked Marley if she had a fuzzy hat and a big trench coat and within minutes we had the proper clothing. It was time to begin filming. I feel this is where Marley really shined, she is such a good cinematographer. Marley would get multiple angles of the same shot. I would never think of that type of thing because I’m usually so focused on trying to finish what I started. This is why I feel we are such a strong team when it comes to doing projects with her, because I’m the idea man and I always think of ways to turn something I have in my head into reality and Marley knows how to get the things we need to make that happen.

After filming was complete we needed to edit, usually in the past Marley edits because she is very skilled at editing. However, this time I was elected to edit. What we ended up doing is me editing almost a first draft edit and then I would ask Marley if she has any ideas/ things to add and then I would continue editing.

I feel what we ended up with was a very strong video, however I would do something’s differently. Like Mr Hughes said there is only one small problem and it’s kinda a big one… we didn’t use a microphone. I don’t think the audio is bad but a microphone definitely would have made a difference. On the other hand, Marley and I tried but it wasn’t working with her camera so we decided to scrap it. The one other thing I would do differently would be the intro to the actual video. I’m not a huge fan of how it looks it seems a little rushed but besides that I am proud of our project. I learned a lot in the making of this video and it was a lot of fun to do. Also, I always complain about blog posts but after I’m done, it’s rewarding to see a reflection on the work I put into something.