Welcome to our humanity’s project for let’s get riel. In this project we studied Louie riel, injustice regarding First Nations and… well just injustice things in general. We read a book and made some images which is always fun but most importantly I learned a lot, made some mistakes and practised the two competency’s for this project. I also made my way to answer the driving question, “How can we present past actions and decisions through images to help us make decisions of what is fair or unjust?”. So with all this learning let me jump right into my journey for this project. 

Disclaimer: Because of ski team provincials I was away for a large part of this project, I missed milestones three and four. My blog post will obviously not contain any learning from these milestones so if your interested to see what my partner Thomas did while I was away here’s a link to his blog. 

The first competency I want to talk about is the connect competency. This competency was essential to understanding and completing the project because it was really about connecting to the peoples ideas from that time to understand their thinking. A great example of this was for milestone five where we had to respond and decide if Louie riel was a hero or a villain. I really had to understand my connections to the text and images I had seen through the project so that I could really understand both sides of the story. Using this understanding I came to the conclusion that Louie riel was a villain.

Milestone five!

The second competency for this project was understand ethical dimensions. Just like the first competency this one was essential to my completion of the project but I found it didn’t come as naturally as the previous one. I did this in many places but I’ll give you a few of the best examples. The first is in milestone one where I had to respond to a current event. Although our task wasn’t really to asses the ethics of things being done I found myself assessing them regardless just in my head. It was really hard to try to take an unbiased assessment of the actions and decisions that had happened because there were so many aspects to consider. This experience needed up being a great piece of learning regarding this competency. The second example is going back to milestone 5. I think that the two competency’s really worked together because I found myself connecting to the text at the same time I was deciding if the actions and decisions people made were right or wrong. By understanding my connection to the text I could really see through both lenses and it helped my really see what was necessary and what wasn’t. Overall I had a lot of learning growth using both the competency’s, but I also grew using some other skills as well.

Milestone one!

The other skill I want to talk about is a bit of an abstract idea. Because I went away and missed some of the key milestones of this project I felt really out of place returning near the end. I had to use my organization and assessment skills to try to figure out what I missed but more importantly I had to figure out how I was going to complete the next steps. This was a real challenge as all my class mates seemed to be way more focused and knowledge able. Lucky I made sure to finish the book we were reading and talk to my partner to get an understanding of what he had done. By doing this I was up to speed in no time. 

One area in this project I really struggled with was communication with my partner when I was away. Although I could text him I had no wifi so I could not help with any of the milestone via the internet. If I had communicated better with the people setting up the trip I could have figured out that there was no wifi and done some work before I left. 

In conclusion this project was overall a success and I think I demonstrated the competency’s at an accomplished level. I had some learning and some learning failures along the way. It was a shame that provincials caused me to miss so much of this project but I think I still got the most out of it. Of course you probably all waiting to hear my answer to the driving question, we can use many different image types on social media platforms to help others and ourself better see one side of a past event or action in order to provide us a better understanding of what is fair or unjust. Before I leave I want to give my partner Tom a big thanks as he really “carried” me through this project. Thanks for reading and I’ll see you guys later.