Comic Cells: Polio

How do cells and diseases interact? Before I can answer that I need to learn about cells and diseases. To learn about that we did worksheets, made a disease wanted poster, did Khan quizzes, and wrote a story to explain all what we learned and how to answer the driving question. To show what we learned we wrote a comic in Comic Life about the disease you chose, the disease I chose was Polio.

my wanted poster:

In this project, I think I am accomplished. I think this because I used most of my class time efficiently, I was getting distracted by and distracting Ronan and Keaton. I think next time to not get distracted by them I should sit away from them. another reason why I think I’m accomplished is that I used accurate science diagrams and I used over 10 correct science vocabulary in my comic such as CNS cells, antibodies, and vesicles just to name a few. My final reason why I think I’m accomplished is that my cells and disease characters interact in a scientific way, such as taking with each other using scientific words and symptoms that have a logical outcome that would make sense for polio such as paralysis.

My project mindmap:

My epic Polio comic:

Horror Story: POLIO

Spring Exhibition

So, even though I wasn’t at the Spring Exhibition I will be doing a blog post about it.

So for the Spring Exhibition, everyone was assigned to a different part of the project plan, Intro, PBL pathway, Technology for Learning, and Conclusion. I was assigned to the Intro group. What is a PLP learner? Well, you could learn about that at the Spring Exhibition. At the Spring Exhibition, you would walk through the different stages of a project, and do activities we do in class such as develop and critique, present and reflect, and build knowledge. Both grade 7s and parents were invited to the Spring Exhibition. And throughout the Exhibition, PLP students of all grades would be walking you through activities, showing you their work, and talking about and showing you the different project stages.

My part of the intro group was to show a project of mine walk and walk through it. The project I chose to do was Ultimate Design Challenge.

Here’s some of the work that I did to help get ready for the Spring Exhibition, make and put up a poster, write my presentation (which I ended up not needing), put up papers over the trophy case, and printed my work.

Overall for this exhibition, I think that I was pretty helpful in setting up and getting ready even though I wasn’t there.

tPOL 2022

My last presentation like this was my mPOL. Last time I talked about how I improved from the beginning of the year and what I can do to keep on track and how I can sharpen my learning plan. This project will show the reasons why I should move onto the next grade level. For the most part, I did what I said I should do on my learning plan, I came to every class on time, Put thoughtful, complete work into my assignments, and handed most of them in on time. I didn’t need help on much of my work so I hardly came into tutorial time. I think that in the future I should come into tutorial a little more than I did. We did not have Maker in the second semester so I won’t be talking about it as much in this blog.

So, the first class I’m going to be talking about is Scimatics. I am going to be answering a few questions throughout this tPOL.

Firstly, what Scimatics project did I most struggle with and why? Well, I think I most struggled with Chemistry Coding. I think this because I had such a hard time trying to learn the coding of Scratch. It took me forever to code all my ideas and make them flow and work correctly in an order that makes sense. I had to cut many central ideas because of the difficulty to code them. How did I push past this difficult part of that project? I went into tutorial time to get some help with coding, watched the coding tutorials in Scratch, and got help from Keaton outside of school. All that helped me learn how to properly code in Scratch Once I did that, the rest of the project was easier to execute my modified ideas.

Here’s the project I am most proud of and why. I am most proud of my Ultimate Design Challenge project. I am most proud of this because I enjoy math and it comes very naturally to me which helped me in this project because it was a math project. During the project, I had to modify to driving question to fit the shape I chose, which was a blender. I had to design a blender optimized for maximum volume, write formulas and do calculations to help me perfect my final product which I think I did. In my final product, I explained my calculations, had images and media, explained my blender, and wrote a clear, concise driving question. My Ultimate Design Challenge presentation.

The next class I will be talking about is Humanities. I’m going to be answering the same questions as I answered earlier except this time for Humanities.

So for Humanities here’s the project I struggled with the most and why. I thought I most struggled with Working with Words. I think this because I had a difficult time coming up with thoughts and ideas for my poems, it also didn’t help that I don’t enjoy writing poems that much. I also found the ideas I had couldn’t be used because they didn’t fit the confinements of the poem. How did I push past this difficult part of that project? Well, I just had to keep thinking of ideas, but, once I had ideas I had to find a way to make them fit the condiments and rules of that certain poem. I also had to make it flow and sound correct. I would just take my time trying to think of other ideas and asking friends what I did well on my poems and what I could improve on the get them correctly.

Here’s the Humanities project that I am most proud of and why. I am most proud of the work that I did on The Outsiders project. I am most proud of that because I enjoy reading and will often read in my free time which I think helped me enjoy and succeed on this project more. During the project I had to read the Outsiders book, take notes on it, have class discussions about it, write and practice a tableau scene, and present a tableau scene. But I am very proud of my work on this project because of how well I took notes, managed my time, and read my book on time. I think I was extending on that part of the project because of the work that I did on all of those subjects, read all my book chapters on time, noted all my chapters on time and was complete and thoughtful. I was also proud of how prepared I was for Outsiders tableau. The script I read was clear and concise and my movements were smooth and frozen at the tableau. My Outsiders blog post.

Now I’m going to be talking a little bit about Destination Imagination, even though I didn’t have Maker in the second semester I worked on and finished my Destination Imagination presentation with my group. In this part of my tPOL I won’t be answering the same questions as earlier I will be answering them modified. What part of D.I. did I most struggle with and why? I think that I most struggled with time management, I think that I’m pretty good at it, but, that was something that I think we struggled with. We struggled with this because it felt as if we had so much time and didn’t have to rush to get anything done, then all of a sudden D.I. was in a few weeks. Also, something that didn’t help was that close to the day of our performance many of our props were breaking, some even the day of. To push past our bad time management, our unfinished ideas and designs, and our broken props, we met up a lot. We would meet up before school, and outside of school, and we would all do our work to get everything done on time. If I were to do D.I. in the future I think that now that I know more about D.I. and I have even done it before I will be more prepared.

What part of D.I. am I most proud of and why? I think I am most proud of how we pulled back from not being on track and behind with our time management to be prepared and ready on the day of D.I. On the day of D.I. We definitely could’ve been more prepared but everyone had almost if not all their lines memorized and most of our props working correctly.
During D.I. there were parts that I didn’t like, but also parts that were pretty fun and that I enjoyed, such as meeting up outside of school and working on our script, practicing, and building props with my team.

Now I’m coming to the end of my tPOL, so here’s why I feel I’m ready to advance to the next grade level. I’ve grown my skills as a learner throughout the year, some of those skills are blogging, time management in Things, art, mind mapping, problem-solving with all my apps at my dispense, and my knowledge to use all those apps. I’ve grown as a person, I feel I’m more open to receiving feedback and giving back feedback. I’ve also made many friends and relationships throughout the year that have benefited me.

Thank you for listening to my tPOL!

New Beginnings: Cour De Bois

If you want to see how I made that then continue reading. First I need to learn about New France and what it meant for all people involved. I learnt about that through a trade simulation and reflection, research about New France and the types of people who helped run it, once I chose the group of people I want to research (Cour de Bois), I researched them. Next, I created a visual using a photo I took on a photo walk, researched the good and bad of the Cour de Bois, used different symbols on my original photo to show the good sides at the beginning of the explosion of popularity in beavers, and on the bad side I showed that bad sides at the end of the explosion of popularity in beavers. I put both images into Flourish to get the slider.

A little bit about the Cour de Bois. The Cour de Bois are Frenchmen who would illegally run, trade, and hunt beavers. They would trade them with the Indigenous people, they would trade beaver pelts, European items, and other First Nations items. Even though the Cour de Bois did all their trading illegally they helped strengthen relationships with the french and the Indigenous because both sides saw the benefits of it.

On the good, brighter side of my image I will tell you what every symbol represents:
The sign is saying that “Beaver hats are now in!” Meaning that they are popular and there is lots of supply. The man wearing the hat shows that it looks cool and stylish. The stack of money is showing that the money is up and the Cour de Bois is very rich and can afford to spend money to trade for nicer things. The beaver pelts hanging up are showing that there are lots of stock so everybody can have their beaver hat or pelt.

On the bad, darker side of my image:
The man is not wearing a hat representing that times are so tough that he had to sell the hat off his head to stay afloat. The sign is telling the reader about how the beavers were over-hunted and there was now a huge demand for beaver pelts and hats with no supply. The money pile in the bottom corner is much more depleted representing that the Cour de Bois had to spend all their money trying to get the last few beavers and to stay afloat. There are very many fewer beaver pelts hanging up because they were over-hunted and all sold so there is hardly any stock left.

In this project, I think I did pretty well. I think I was overall accomplished. I think this because I handed all my work in on time, participated in all class activities, and completed all my work carefully and thoughtfully,

Here is more evidence of my learning:

Argh Matey

What were the causes and consequences of global exploration? To answer that I need to learn about European exploration, how they travel, and who led them. We need to learn all about this to make a pirate/European exploration story. To learn that we did some worksheets, researched, took notes, and made a web of cause and consequence for the reasons that the European would want to explore and the changes because of it. We all had to make a story based on a pirate who would travel to the new world, the story I made was based on the pirate Calico Jack.

Here is some proof of my learning:

Here is my story:

Scimatics: Ultimate Design Challenge

How can I optimize an object for maximum surface area or volume? Well to answer this I need to first learn about volume and surface area. I learned about this through workbooks and worksheets. We had to make a project to show how we optimized our item for maximum Surface area or volume. Seth and I (he was my partner and I will link his blog here) chose to do a blender and optimize it for maximum volume. We both had to make different haves to a blender and I made the top half with the lid, the chamber that holds the food, and the blades. The app we used to design all this is called Tinkercad.

In this project, I think I am extending. I think this because I used all of my class time efficiently even though I missed 3 classes. I made an accurate 3D model of a blender with many different, basic shapes. Also, the fact that my and Seth’s models are built to work together. I think that in the future I could’ve added a few more different shapes but I thought I still had a wide variety. All my math formulas, calculations, and ratios were correct. I didn’t get them first try, but I got them eventually. I also organized them neatly in a Keynote presentation. I think that next time Seth and I could’ve made our Keynote a little bit smoother and had both halves of them work better together.

Here is my Keynote presentation, the pages I wrote are pages 2 and pages 4-13. The other pages are Seth’s work.

DI: Final Post

If you don’t know what DI is or want to learn about it you should read my previous blog post before you read this one. Here’s the link: https://www.blog44.ca/oweng/2022/02/02/d-i-bacterial-besties/

Since my last blog post, my team and I have kept on practicing, building and fixing our broken props and costumes.
Some stuff that we’ve built and repaired since then are:

Our sign:

Our backdrops:

Our salmonella costumes:

And our team car:

On the day of DI, my team and I got to Saint George’s at 10:30, got all our props together, fixed some minor things that broke, presented our story, did our instant challenge, took our team photo, and then we left.

Overall in DI, I think I was accomplished because I helped my team with lots of work, such as helping with the script, building props, and researching. Also because I memorized all my lines and had my costume prepared. Some things I think I could’ve done better are trying to meet up with my team more at the beginning and doing dress rehearsals more often.

On the day of DI, I think I was extending because I arrived on time, had all my props with me, had my lines memorized and was prepared for my presentation and the instant challenge. I think I could’ve helped make the transitions between scenes more smooth during our presentations.

And here’s the video of our presentation:

And if you want to read about my teammates’ experiences here are the links to their blogs: Jackson, Susan, Caden, Kadin, Callum, and Naomi.

Chemisty Coding

How can the behaviour of matter be explained by kinetic molecular theory and atomic theory? To answer that I have to learn about molecular and atomic theories. In class, I learned about atomic theory through the different atomic models and worksheets. I learned about molecular theory through worksheets. We explained our knowledge through a game that we coded ourselves.

Here is my project end MindNode:

Questioning and predicting: I think I am accomplished in questioning and predicting because all my class time was used effectively to finish my work and code my game. I also was interested in coding my game the science and math that were used in this project.

Scientific communication: I think I am accomplished because I knew and understood several different atoms and molecules. Another reason why is because I represented a finished model of particle motion shown and a historical model of an atom is in my game. I also used scientific methods, techniques, and ideas to show my learning in my game and my atomic model’s research.

Reasoning and analyzing: I think I am accomplished because I made a well-coded scratch game with functional controls. My game also showed the atomic theory, molecular theory, and all states of atoms correctly. My game is also easy and fun to play.

Here is the link to my game: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/652614473/

The Renaissance: a Change Engine

What significant development emerged from the past and how does they impact us today?

Well, to answer that question we decided to learn about the renaissance. We learned about different inventors, inventions, artworks, and societal changes. We had to research 1 thing in each of these topics. The inventor I researched was Galileo Galileo, the invention I researched was clocks and hourglasses, the art piece I researched was the school of Athens, and the societal change I researched was city states and trade. We had to research all these things to help us build our final product which was a triptych and a paragraph explaining why and what we thought the most important out of all of those topics in the renaissance was. I think it was the invention of clocks and hourglasses and here is the paragraph I wrote:

I think that the telling of time, clocks and hourglasses were the most important invention during the Renaissance. Some reasons to why I think that are that time is very commonly known, almost everybody knows the telling of time, whether it’s 24 hour time or 12, it is very commonly known. You can also find time everywhere, it is very accessible. Whether you can find it on your phone, watch, iPad, or a clock on the wall it’s everywhere.

Another reason why I think clocks and hourglasses is the most important is because they can be used for many more things then just timing the sermon, timing cooking times in rich households and timing watches on a ship which is mainly what they were used for when they were invented. Now we use clocks for telling time, setting timers to know when to get to certain events on time, cooking, as an alarm to get our day started, we also use the clock in relation to the calendar for setting events and knowing what time of the day for certain events and when we need to get stuff done we could put it in a calendar such as things.

And my last reason for why I think that clocks and hourglasses are the most important invention during the renaissance is how clocks have become more accessible since the renaissance. During the renaissance clocks were expensive and a luxury and now clocks aren’t expensive and are widely spread and the telling of time with numbers is free. It went from being an expensive luxury to a free way to measure our day. And that’s why I think that the telling of time, clocks and hourglasses are the most important invention during the Renaissance.

And here is my triptych:

If you were wondering what a triptych is it is a a picture or relief carving on three panels, typically hinged together side by side and used as an altarpiece.

Overall in this project I think that I was accomplished because I handed all my work in on time, put complete and finished work into all my work, and used my class time wisely to get all my work done. A few specific things that I think I did well on were my triptych because of how it’s finished with all the proper elements needed in it are in it, and my name charts being through and informing.

Loon Lake: a Learning Advance

In case you’re wondering, no this isn’t a project we did, this was a learning advance. And there is no driving question for this blog post. But it is called a learning advance for a reason, so here’s what I learned and some things that we did at Loon lake. Some things that we did at Loon lake was battle archery, laser tag, D.I., advisory groups and evening fun such as playing basketball or watching the Olympics are some of the things we did while at Loon lake.

And here’s the book we made for book creator about the learning advance: