Ultimate design challenge

For this project we were supposed to make a 3D object in a website called tinkercad that was designed for either surface area of volume.

We were allowed to work in groups of 2, 3, or we could work solo. I chose to work in a group of 2 with one of my friends. You can find his blog here.

Together we came up with the idea to try to make a vehicle called a “Mongoose” from the halo game franchise. The original is quite complicated to make so we were giving ourselves a challenge. This is the vehicle we were trying to make.

Because it is open the seating and storage area would be called surface area, so we tried to make our vehicle maximized for surface area. The building part itself was not too hard but because tinkercad is a bit restricting with its abilities we were not able to make a great replica but we did our best. This is our model.

It’s not perfect but I’m quite happy with it because the website was a bit difficult to use and didn’t have enough shapes to make it perfect. After making our model we had to measure it and find all of the surface area and volume.

Here are all the calculations I used.

As you can tell from both the totals, there is more volume than surface area, which in real life could also be good because you need room for a motor and all the technical pieces, but for this project we wanted maximum surface area.

We also found the surface area to volume ratio by doing these calculations.

So in the end we didn’t succeed in making our vehicle maximized for surface area but the project itself was fun and I enjoyed making our 3D model.

Competencies

Applying and innovating:

I think that I showed this well during class by using my time efficiently to make my 3D model and presentation with my partner so that it was done well and on time.

Reasoning and analyzing:

I showed this when doing the large math portion of this project in the calculations and learning formulas then putting it all into our presentation. Also when trying to maximize our object for volume or surface area, and doing the totals and ratio at the end.

Communicating and representing:

I showed this competency during the presentation and writing the calculations, by making sure that everything was accurate so that it could then be represented well in the presentation part of the project.