DI…Again

In PLP there is a little tradition each year were the class competes in a team based tournament against other schools called Destination Imagination that put your creative eye to the test.

I started buy choosing what type of challenge I would want to participate in, I was out into the technical challenge. The goal was to create two machines that would overcome three hazards and showcased a feat of skill while doing it.

As for the group I was put into, I was happy with it as it was made up of all friends of mine, however over the rest of the project I would come to learn that having a group of all good friends sometimes doesn’t result in the most productive of work sessions.

We were off to a good start and had our story, hazards, and ideas for the machines made very quickly. Once we started building though things started to occasionally slow down. We spent most of class time building and writing our script for the performance, this lasted for most of the classes up until the week before the tournament. I personally was happy with how our machines turned out.

The car in the first photo has no electricity involved and the second uses motors and a turning mechanism in order to finish the course.

As for the hazards, we made a tunnel, movable objects, and rough terrain. We incorporated this all into a story by making the plot involve a race were the vehicles have to overcome obstacles as fast as they can to win the race. We got the non powered vehicle to get through the course by using a ramp and using the momentum from it.

After some dress rehearsals and read through it was time for the competition. I think that everything that could have gone wrong, went wrong. The powered vehicles wheel fell off before it finished and the non powered one crashed in the tunnel. And I felt that the performance felt choppy and didn’t have enough emotion in the characters. During the time we were making our machines we decided that for our team choice element, which are elements that are not required but are chosen by the group to be added should be a original song made by us and a quick dance to go along the side. When we presented it I felt it went well but unfortunately it didn’t add many points.

In the end we placed last…

But thats fine because I had some fun with my team and it was not an un enjoyable experience, it also showed me a lot that I could do better next time.

The end…

One Reply to “DI…Again”