The Media is the Message reflection post

Hi everyone,

Since the school year started on September 3rd 2019, we have been working on a project called the Media is the Message. This project was all about advertising. I have learned many things about advertising since then.

We started this project off with watching an ad for the Apple HomePod and reflecting on the ad. Looking back on it, I don’t think I did a very good job. Although, when I first wrote I did think I did think I did a great job. The reason I don’t think I did a very good job the reason so, is because I didn’t know enough about advertising and even the software I was using to do well.
Our next Milestone was an advertising survey in which we asked our parents questions about their perspectives on advertising. The first time around I didn’t read all the instructions and did terribly. The second time, I read the instructions and did a decent job.

During this project we had to be able to recognize media and, analyze text of all kinds. Our driving question for this project was “How does what we hear, read and see influence us?” How does it? In my opinion anything we hear, see or read will influence us in someway. When we hear, read or see anything our brain tries to remember it. So the basis of advertising is to put ideas in our brains, wether we realize it or not. A great example about how hearing something can influence us is, younger children. Say, when a 3 year old kid hears their mom, dad or anyone else they look up to say something they will want to say something like them. If their mom always says super nice things about everything, they will likely do the same. But, If they hear there Mom say super negative mean things about everything, they will do that. With advertising companies our trying to put messages in your head through hearing things said aloud, seeing things being done or reading things put on billboards or in newspaper, they want to influence you to like their brand more. Also, the companies likely want you to trust them. Some of the companies which do this the best are, Nike, Apple, Coca-Cola and many other big companies. 

Our 3rd Milestone Involved making a persuasion chart about Advertising. On the persuasion chart we had to get examples of ads and convince the audience what kind of advertising they where using. I would say I did a really good job on this Milestone.

During this project we had to chances to analyze text. The first time was Our first Milestone, the welcome home dissection. The second one was Milestone 4, the Highest tide analysis. I improved at this skill a lot through the 2 assignments. The first time I wasn’t sure what to do. I kind of just did what I would have done for a book report in elementary school, which was not what was expected. This second time I learned from my past Mistakes and improved upon it. I’m still nowhere near perfect, even in 10 years from now I’ll still be far from perfect. But the biggest thing is that I learned from my mistakes and improved upon them.

Our 4th Milestone was analyzing a book we read called the highest tide. I think I did a pretty good job on this although I’m not really sure exactly how well I did.

Ads

• This is my first Ad. There is many things which could of been improved upon but overall I like it
  • This is my second ad. Although I improved upon some features of the first ad I think it is worse.
  • This is my third draft of my ad. It is pretty similar to my final draft but the image in the background is different and the fonts are different. I think this was a pretty good attempt.
  • This is my fourth ad. I think it is worse than my 3rd ad although I did make some things better.
  • This was my Fifth and final draft of this series of ads. I definitely think this is my best attempt although there is still so much I could improve upon.
  • This is my first draft. I don’t think it is that good although it is better than quite a few of my later drafts. I did this ad without interviewing Chalet so, I didn’t have all the information which I needed
  • This is my second draft for my ad. Although it looks ok it’s not a very good ad for many reasons such as the fact that it doesn’t focus in on an image
  • For this ad I fixed the font to make it look more like the font chalet uses. I focused in on one image but I still did a few things not so well such as that weird grey filter in the background. It was a major improvement since my last ad but still pretty bad.
  • For this ad I kept most of the good things from my last ad and removed the horrible filter but I didn’t ad the address or give enough information about the business.
  • For my final attempt I added more information about the business such as a their address. I still don’t think it is great as it doesn’t look like a real ad but it was my best attempt yet.
Our next 2 Milestones were both about making ads. Our first ad was about a Parkgate or a Deep Cove business. My group did InGrain, a restaurant and a company which makes pasta. I really liked making this ad and I thought I did a pretty good job. My second ad, has not been going very well so far. It’s about a Restaurant in Newport Oregon called, Chalet.

So to wrap things up this was a amazing but long project in which we learned a ton about advertising in.