Hi everyone,

Over the last month I designed a surfboard with my friend Ryder, go checkout his blog. This project Involved many calculations and 3D design. I came into this project thinking that oh calculating volume, and surface area will be easy, we learned that in grade 7. I quickly realized that calculating the surface area and volume of complex shapes which don’t have all their faces showing is very time consuming. I’m so happy for computer programs which can do stuff like calculating Surface area and Volume for us. 

This is my model of a surfboard

As I already mentioned my friend Ryder, and I made a surfboard. We made 2 different surfboards. Ryder made a better looking surfboard in Tinkercad, but it wasn’t a simple shape and our teacher, and even the internet had no clue how to calculate it. I made a more simple surfboard out of simple shapes in Shapr 3D. The shapes I uses were Cylinders, Rectangular prisms, and triangular prisms. Then we calculated the SA and V (Surface Area and Volume). Finally we made a keynote explaining our object, and the process of building it, and calculating it’s SA and V.

Now I will do what I do in every reflection blog post. Reflect on competencies. 

Applying and Innovating: I feel I did quite well on this competency. I got most of my work done during class. I paid attention almost all the time during class. I also helped other people out. If I could do this project again I would make sure to finish all my calculation in class. 

Reasoning and Analyzing: I built a surfboard maximized for volume. It included 12 shapes. It was was maximized for volume. I built it with Ryder’s input and revised it many times to improve it. If I could do this project again I would have used more basic shapes at the start. 

This is my model of a surfboard

Communicating and representing: I did well on this competency. We made a keynote which showed all of our formulas, measurements, and calculations. We explained them in detail during our presentation. If I could do this project again, I would make my calculation more clear. 


So all in all this was an interesting project which I feel I’ve done quite well on. I think there were many things I could improve but there are in every project.