Running a Remake

Hi everyone,

It’s been awhile. I think my last blog post was in late June! Throughout the first 10 weeks of school I wasn’t taking any PLP classes, in which I use my blog. I was taking Math and Band. Band was tons of fun, and I learned a lot in math. But now onto the matter at hand. We just completed an entire project in 3 days! It was called, Running a Remake. We had to recreate a short horror movie called, “Run. “

An empty classroom due to COVID-19

As this a PLP project we had a driving question which we were introduced to at the start of the project. For this project it was, “How might we learn video skills by recreating a short film?” That was really what this project was about learning video skills to prepare us for future projects. In Grade 9 we do a lot of video projects, just like how we did a lot of photo projects in Grade 8. I feel like some of the things I learned in this project will be essential to future projects. 

Just a photo of myself editing in iMovie

It all started on Wednesday morning with our project launch. During this phase we were introduced the movie Run, our groups for this project, and our first milestone. It was an introduction video where we had to introduce ourselves and a hobby. I don’t feel like I learned anything special from that first milestone. It felt like a warm up to PLP, that’s fine but I don’t think I need to go over it in detail.

After Lunch break, we started our second class in which we moved onto the building knowledge phase. This was an important phase as this is where we began to learn some of the video skills, we also made our project plan outline for the future milestone’s. This was when we began to work with our groups. I think my group worked really well together, their names were, Julien, Ryder, Erin, and Nathan. All of us did different things, I noted down all the sounds needed, Erin made a story board, and Ryder looked at some camera and cut related things. That was really it for Milestone 2, and the building knowledge faze.

Our shared document which had all the sounds, the storyboard, and the plan for filming

On Thursday morning we began to film our first take of the video and, so began the develop and critique phase. We went out to “Myrtle Park” and filmed our first take of the video. It was a good first try but we missed a couple of things for sure. Some of our camera angles were off and at times our setting didn’t really make sense. The path we were using was also kind of weird and didn’t really. But we learned lot’s of things from this such as how we need to use more exact angles, and we learned a ton about editing. 

Then on Friday we re-shot and edited the video. We improved a significant number of things, such as angles, editing, and setting. I feel like we did a very good job for the limited time and resources we had for this project. When you watch the videos side by side you see that the timing is almost identical. Same with the camera angles. I think I learned a ton of valuable skills,  mostly in editing, and Production. I also, learned some valuable lessons for the upcoming video projects, such as pay attention to the little details, as Ms Willemse pointed out to our group Nathan’s Bright red shirt which hangs out a little bit really stands out. Overall I was very happy with our final video and think our group worked extremely well together to turn out an amazing product!

Here’s is a comparison video to the original run.

Finally we will go back to the driving question. “How might we learn videos skills by recreating a short film?” I think that throughout this short project we did just that. I learned a lot about using camera angles to our advantage, editing on the software iMovie, and many more little things. 

Here’s just our final product.

That wraps this blog post up. This was fairly short project so there’s not that much to write about. Anyways, thanks for reading through the entire post, and go checkout my group members blog post on this project if you want there perspectives on Running a Remake.