Just How Important Are Canada’s National Parks

Hi everyone,

When you think of Canada what comes to mind? Probably Maple Syrup, Poutine, Snow, and Hockey. But most people also think of the beautiful wilderness filled with iconic animals, from the ridiculously oversized moose, to the psychopathic murder duck aka the Canada Goose, or maybe our national animals the important and hard working beaver, you definitely have heard of some of our animals. All these animals can be found in our beautiful and iconic National Parks. Now you probably realize that these parks are important to the animals, and ecosystems which they protect, but what if I told you they’re important to Canada’s history, economy, and culture. Well that was the topic of a zine article I just wrote for MONOVA.

(Zine embedded)

So for this project we had to find a topic which had significance in the history of the North Shore in the 1950s and 60s. My topic was the provincial parks, then we had to find a topic significant to the development of Canada in that same time period. Mine was, the rise of our national parks and eco tourism. Then connect it to a topic of global significance, mine was the importance of nature reserves to conservation. After researching our topic and formulating a thesis we had to write a 5 paragraph essay about them. After that we had to format our essay into a magazine format and add photos. Then we submittted them and they were sent to MONOVA (Museum Of North Vancouver).

Throughout this project I have learned a lot. From how small events in the history of North Vancouver, can be connected to major developments in Canada’s history as a whole. I also learned about how hard formatting a magazine article is. I spent at least 3 hours re-formatting and editing my zine article to make sure it filled the page. I also realized the impact a well placed photo can have on an article.