Romeo and Juliet

Hello and welcome back to another blog post. This will be my last post for this quarter as I will be moving on to quarter 3 starting Monday. This post is about our latest project in PLP 10 and it’s all about Shakespeare. Now at the start of this project I thought “great another Shakespeare project” but in the end this project was by far one of my favourites. The driving question to this project was changed from “how do we modernize Romeo and Juliet to appeal to a younger audience?” To “how can we present a live audio story that makes an audience appreciate the relevance of Shakespeare?” The reason of the change is that we couldn’t create a good enough adaption of the entire play. So we just adapter certain parts in the end. But let’s not rush. This project started with comparisons, more specifically that of the original play, the 1968 movie, and the 1996 movie. I also created 2 new podcast episodes, these episodes were different because I had co-hosts, Thomas and Julia.

For this project we 3 curricular competencies that represent each PLP area of study, English, Social Studies, and Maker.

English 10: I can express an understanding of how a text uses literary devices to make meaning.
I can express an understanding of the role of contexts, values, and perspectives in texts and how language is used to construct personal, social, and cultural identity.

the stepping stone that best represented this competency was the act comparison charts. For these stepping stones we read through the Romeo and Juliet play and watched the movies to compare how they were similar and different. I found that I was able to get a better understanding of the play through seeing the movies.

Maker 10: I can select and use a design solution to a problem, process, or challenge.

The milestone that best represented this competency was milestone 2, this milestone was our first co-hosted podcast. For this episode i had to solve the problem of how does Shakespeare connect to the BC outdoors. I answered it with bard on the beach, bard on the beach is a festival held at a park in bc and they preform Shakespeare plays.

Social Studies 10: I can explain and infer different perspectives on past or present people, places, issues, or events by considering prevailing norms, values, worldview, and beliefs.

the milestone that best represented this competency was milestone 4, our second co-hosted podcast episode. In this episode Thomas, Julia and I talked about how the location for the Romeo and Juliet movies we were watching in class adapted to fit the time era and characters. We also talked about our different views on the Romeo and Juliet movies and which adaption we liked the best.

The final step to this project was to wright our own adaption and preform it as an auditorial story. It was a challenging process but it turned out well.

In conclusion this was my favourite project yet and i hope we get to do more similar projects in the future.

One thought on “Romeo and Juliet