So recently in PLP we have been going through the history of WWII. We had 3 different projects to go with it. 2 of them being kind of side projects while having one overlooking group project.

Through spring break we got assigned to read 1 of 3 books, Code Name Verity, All The Light We Cannot See, and Unbroken. I chose to read Code Name Verity. Once we got back from spring break we had to write a book review about it. I have already written a blog post about this topic so you can read more about it here.

About half way into the unit we had a guest speaker come in to talk to us. This wasn’t a typical high school guest speaker, he was a German WWII veteran by the name of Helmut Lemke. We had known Helmut was coming a couple weeks in advance so that we had lots of time to come up with good questions for him. He had said prior to coming that he wasn’t easily offended so that we could ask him anything.

After Helmut had visited us we were all tasked to create a short podcast from the interview with him. We had 1 hour long recording of the interview that we had to split up. My podcast ended up being about how he escaped East Germany.

The final big project of the unit was our website. We were divided into groups based off interests of countries. I got assigned Great Britain with Kyle and Kate. The goal of the website was to show the ,any different perspectives in the war. So we had to have a bio page, a pre war page, a during the war page, and a post war page. It was also useful to have a military technology page, and a timeline.

After getting some peer feedback on our pages we had to do some major revising when it came to formatting. We also needed a lot more images and links. Once the critiqueing period was over it was time to present to a historian and our district administrator Kathleen Barter. She was our main “fact checker”. Our presentation went smoothly and we didn’t have much feedback from her for the final published site.

If you would like to look at the website for yourself Click Here.

Overall this was a fun unit and I learned a lot about the history of WWII. It was a unit I wasn’t sure how much I would like it as I wasn’t a massive fan of our WWI unit early in the year. However I soon found out the World War 2 is a much more interesting topic.