A Case For A Nation: Week 3 and 4 ✅

A fresh start to the new year and an even fresher project to go with it. Our first project of of 2021 is tilted The Case for a Nation. This one was led by the Driving question: How can an understanding of nationalism in the past, help us make sense of today? As you can see from the DQ, this project is all about Nationalism and all that comes with it. Living in the time that we currently experiencing, this topic could not be more relevant. With multiple examples  around the world, especially the current event happening in the U.S.A., learning about this global symptom is more important than ever.

The learning journey for this project began with a thorough explanation of Nationalism and how we will apply what we learn into our work pieces. Since this project consists of a whopping 10 milestones, I decided that it would be best to reflect on each weeks learning, instead of a final post where I may forget some of the learning. With three solid milestones in the books, I have a fresh POV on how I will get to my end product, both physically and mentally.

This project is three fold in its goals, and can be separated into Historical Thinking skills, English writing skills, and Applied Design and Technology. Our topic of nationalism, allows us to examine the creation of nations around the world. This understanding will help us to understand the history of and creation of our own country. Through research, gathering evidence, and organization, we will practice our writing skills. You will be asked to organize information to tell a story. Finally you will tell this story through the empowerment of a device – practicing our skills in video production and editing.

Although milestone one was our first big piece of work, when I reflect on what most helped me through the learning process, I realized that our first activity of  brainstorming what made up a nation, had really helped me understand the topic at hand. Since we couldn’t learn about nationalism if we didn’t know what a nation was, this activity was crucial in our leaning process. After discovering all of the the possible variables that could define a nation, we were asked to decide which variable could most describe the foundation of a nation. I decided that although most nations often have a common political view, geographical boarders define a nation.

After a personal finalized answer, it was time to gather a another point of view on the topic. For milestone one, we were asked to interview a parent on nationalism and what they think makes up a nation. This process was extremely interesting. To learn what a completely different generation’s point of view and opinion on the topic was quite interesting. I found that my interviewee tended to use examples of nationalism from their past, or from what they learned in school themselves. This exercise helped me understand nationalism in the past, which was a huge step forward to answering the final question.

By milestone two we had begun to dive into the twisted history of nationalism around the world. We were introduced to the topic by participating in a short activity. For it, we exhibited five different nations that where changed by nationalism. After briefly learning about all five nations, I decided that I would choose Italy. Since one of our previous projects was about The Renaissance, which I found very interesting, I thought that this country could hold some pretty fascinating information. We were then asked to create the KNOW YOUR STORY tab in this years FILM PLANNER. This was the milestone aspect of this step in the process. Other than more in-depth research on nationalism in Italy, we were asked to create a structured story on how nationalism changed Italy as a whole. For this part I was glad I picked Italy. I guess the teacher pick the country for a reason, but the amount nationalism changed Italy was transformative. In the KYS tab there were four questions we needed to answer. We were asked to find the purpose, message, and audience of the story. We were also asked to list our sources for info in MLA format at the bottom of the page, which ended up to be useful for our end of the week video.
This milestone was lead by three competencies:

Enlglish 9

Using Resources / Use Evidence from Various Sources: Have I found diverse sources and evaluated them for their relevance, accuracy, and reliability?

Social Studies 9

Identify Continuity and Change: How are lives and conditions alike over time and how have they changed?

Maker 9

Empowered Learner: How might I use technology to construct knowledge?

I exhibited the Identify continuity and change competency in this milestone by clearly writing what changed and stayed the same throughout the unification of Italy below my story mountain. For the empowered learner competency, I thought that I showed my understanding through a voice note to help deepen my message, which ended up greatly enhancing the piece of work. I also thought that I showed my understanding of the Using Resources competency with the diversity of websites that I used to find the needed information.

Milestone 3 came faster than expected. After a completed Screenplay, and storyboard, our knowledge and extended research was put the test. Although I hadn’t mentioned it, we knew exactly what we were going to be asked to do for our final product right from the get go. For the milestone we used our story or ding and digital skills, as well as the knowledge about our story, to create an animatic. This would answer the question; How significant was nationalism around the world? My answer to this question lay in the many hours of ongoing research as well as the the story. planning process. In Italy, nationalism not only changed the way the country was governed, but united a nation that is still relevant to this day. People are powerful when the unite, and in this example, the love of their nation changed the world.

The competencies for milestone three were a smidge different than last’s. The competencies included:

Designing Texts: Have I used writing and design processes to plan, develop, create, and refine engaging and meaningful texts considering purpose, audience, and message?

Social Studies 9

Maker 9

For the designing texts competency, we were assessed on our story and the message it bestowed. Since the Italian confederation holds such a complex history, I needed to extract the most important events and weave them together to create a compelling story. This was an incredibly useful skill to have not only for future projects, but for the rest of my life. Incorporating continuity and change was much easier since I had already planned my main points of focus in our second milestone. I creatively incorporated a modern day historian to reflect on the two questions which made this aspect of the milestone very clear and easy to follow. Using keynote’s full capabilities I used all of my animations to portray movement and to enhance the story as a whole. Although the artwork wasn’t a top priority due to the fact that they were only there to represent an image, I thought that a more detailed drawing would help the director, or cinematographer when shooting each shot. My whole process consisted of many other apps such as iMovie and images to help organize and curate my final video.

Well, there you have it. Two weeks in the books, both, memorable and packed with important knowledge.  If you haven’t already, you can read my previous post to gain some backup knowledge on the 2021 Case For a Nation project. The overall project was led by the driving question: How can understanding nationalism in the past, help us make sense of today? Although, this week specifically was led by the essential question: how did nationalism change British North America in the 1800s. 

The first milestone in this weeks process was actually milestone 4 since we already reached milestone three last week.  This milestone was all about building knowledge. Living in Canada for most of my life I found that I never really learned the true history of the incredible country  that Canada is today. As I reflect, I realize how important this knowledge was towards my worldview and my understanding of everyday life. When I think about how the nationalism impacted Canada’s confederation and all history prior,  I find myself with a hanging jaw.

In this milestone we completed the Know Your Story Tab on this weeks film planner. In the tab I recorded all notes, ideas, and the core questions for our final video. We also identified our story structure of our tutorial video, which would be the end product of this case study. I thought that I used Apple Number’s many features to best show my message, and in this case my knowledge of BNA.

Once I knew my story, it was time to move onto the next planning stages of the movie making process.  Although I created a very well thought out screenplay, we were only formally assessed on the storyboard of our video. Milestone 5 included three competencies:  Designing Texts: Have I used writing and design processes to plan, develop, create, and refine engaging and meaningful texts considering purpose, audience, and message?

—————————

—————————

For my storyboard I thought that I showed immense detail in each frame. Although, my estimation of the timing, ended up to be quite wrong.

After an approved storyboard and screenplay, the difficulties of the filming process knocked me over like a rouge  wave. Since I spent so much time on the storyboard, I ended up to start a day late on the final milestone. I was very proud of my metaphor for Canadas confederation. A chemistry experiment seemed like it would work, and with the planning I completed in the KYS tab, screenplay, and the storyboard, I thought that filming would come easy… tell that to my 12:00 am self trying to film an engaging video! Although it was difficult, I managed keep my eyes open long enough to capture some useful footage for the editing process.

The next day I went to school with nearly 20 minutes of footage. That evening after school, was the longest editing session that I had faced in my entire PLP experience. By the end I had gotten my video down to a little under 15 mins, but I new that I would need to shorten even more. Another night of revised editing and I had finally got my video down to a satisfactory time. With my video under ten minutes I was ready to hand it in one last time.

Reflecting on the competencies, I realized my understanding of each one had chaned since they were first visited at the beginning of week one. I not only showed unique examples of my work for each one, but each use became stronger. For example, starting of with my, modern day historian in the animatic, to what I thouht to be a clear physical representation of  British influence on BNA. I ended up having a lot of trouble tieing this idea with my chemistry experiment. Another example is the empowered learner competency. By the final video, my use of technology to form a well crafted video had improved vividly under the circumstances that I was in. Although my video was very long and at times hard to watch, the lessons I learned in the process should greatly help me going forward.  My story and understanding of each case study has also improved from the animatic a week ago. In this video I was almost able to tell an interesting story with my creative idea.

Since milestone 6 was due for Friday morning, we still had all of that afternoon to learn our new case study. As we move further along in the timeline,  the birth of some of Canadas darkest years arise. In this case study we are focusing on oppression in Canada and what the culprits believed justified their actions. We had a choice between a side study of Louis Riel and the Métis, or the focus of the Indian Act in Canada. After creating the know Your Story tab once agin, and finding the story of Louis Riel and the Red River Resistance, it was up to us if we wanted to extend our learning and focus on oppression of the first peoples of Canada. That night I went home and researched all I need to know about the second topic provided. Although the subject is tragic, I decided that I wanted to know more about the issue that seen still to this day. I found the story and completed milestone 7 which is the screen play to the explainer video. The explainer video is going to be our end product for this case study. In this milestone I ended up to show a very sufisticated understanding of the designing text competency. I used intricate and powerful wording help tell the story of the case study. For my video I will try to clearly layout continuity since my screenplay could have more clarity around the subject.

Well, the video is done and so are the four other milestones that came after. It has been a trek but before I give you the “deits” on that, lets pickup from where I last finished off. Okay, Milestone eight.  It was a long couple of days planning this video out, although with the screenplay and storyboard at hand, the actual filming an editing process,  flew by like an eagle in the wind. I took the script in pages and transformed it into a teleprompter, which made the filming process much easier.  Using the storyboard I was able to gather the images easily and efficiently In the designing text competency, we were asked to design texts that showed meaningful purposes. In the screenplay, as I said earlier, I showed my understanding through word choice,  and with all of the resources, I crafted a story that would give someone an deep understanding on the Indian Act and it’s outcomes. Finally, putting together the images and animations to the video. Although this part took a while, (like all editing does) I ended up to enjoy the process. Unlike the previous three videos, I didn’t find myself loosing focus or spending to much time on one aspect of  the video. I flowed smoothly and was extremely efficient. Besides for one “ the struggle is real” moment, where I could not line up audio with the visuals, My video process was one of the most satisfying so far.

After four videos and nearly nine chances to show each competency, the destination at the end of the road was finally here. Milestone nine was a cumulative video, meaning it was a combination of all of our learning topics. We were given the choice between the three different types of videos that we had done so far. Since I was proud of all of my videos, I decided that it would be best just to incorporate a couple that most stood out to me. I chose documentary style for transitions, animatic and explainer for the different case studies, and new kind of video called a “John Green Video”. The John Green video is a just a fast-paced factual video, with a mix of live action and photos. After all of the videos I had done so far, the film planner had become habitual. Since I already had all of the information and sources needed, I quickly filled out the know your story tab and moved on to the screenplay.  I past videos, before this year, the thought of making a detailed script before every video was inconceivable. If I already had an idea of what I was going to make why wouldn’t I just go with my gut? Well… it may be because I’m a teenager, but  what once may have been a crystal clear idea one day, usually turns a bunch of mosh by the next. The importance of the screenplay was heavily noted in this video. From my past failed attempts of keeping it in the time restraint, I realized that if you aim for your goal in your screenplay, you will usually go over. Although, if you aim under and focus all of your energy to keep it short and sweet, your goal will probably be achieved. Luckily for me I had already learned this lesson for milestone 9. With a reasonable goal of ten minutes, I tried as hard as I could stay in my time frame.

I wouldn’t have been able to do this without the extensive pre-pre video planning I did the night before. I decided that since this was going to be the last chance to show my understanding of the different competencies and the last chance to show how much I learned about video making, I would put all my energy to make this video the best video I HAD EVER MADE. The first plan of attack was to brainstorm. With four different case studies, engraved in my head, I planned how each story would answer the driving question of the project. I started broad, with each case study , then went deeper and deeper until I found how and when I would  use each piece of evidence in my final video. This could not halve been a better idea. With that I was able to find an order for my video, and create a meaningful, and out of the box, screenplay, which ended up to be a little over ten minutes long. Filming was just as fun. Using the most amount of my creative mind as possible, I constructed two different charters and a really good story to go with. Although I found the answer to the driving question during my primary planning, my curated answer to: How can an understanding of nationalism help us understand today? Ended up to be:

An understanding of nationalism can help us understand the world through different perspectives. It can help us understand geographical boarders, country’s inhabitants ethnicities, current events, and the daily appearances in your life that are unique to north Vancouver.   

Overall, I was really proud of the work I put into this video. For the finding resources competency, my use of sources extend to nearly twenty by the end. I found it really interesting how much I use different cites, whether it be a quick fact check, or the basis of the entire video. When it comes to designing texts, I thought that by the last two videos, not only my knowledge, but my use of technology and word choice to fluently tell each story had improved tenfold. That point also ties into the empowered learner competency. In this competency, I thought that I showed the most improvement. From a non ingaging and way too long, tutorial video, to milestone 9 I have found ways to enhance my videos that I had never thought possible.

finally, after milestone 9 was done and out of the way it was time to celebrate. Using similar questions as the first video of their projects, I interviewed Jason’s on as he reacted to my cumulative video. This was awesome and was a great way to show how much my video skills had improved.

Although it sad to end this quarter, I am very greatful for all that I had learned about video making as well as making my way through the struggles of the everyday. Make sure you comment how you thought the videos were, and maybe even lave a like on my youtube channel 🙂 thanks for reading!

A Case For A Nation: Week 2

—————————

—————————

Since milestone 6 was due for Friday morning, we still had all of that afternoon to learn our new case study. As we move further along in the timeline,  the birth of some of Canadas darkest years arise. In this case study we are focusing on oppression in Canada and what the culprits believed justified their actions. We had a choice between a side study of Louis Riel and the Métis, or the focus of the Indian Act in Canada. After creating the know Your Story tab once agin, and finding the story of Louis Riel and the Red River Resistance, it was up to us if we wanted to extend our learning and focus on oppression of the first peoples of Canada. That night I went home and researched all I need to know about the second topic provided. Although the subject is tragic, I decided that I wanted to know more about the issue that seen still to this day. I found the story and completed milestone 7 which is the screen play to the explainer video. The explainer video is going to be our end product for this case study. In this milestone I ended up to show a very sufisticated under standing of the designing text competency. I used intricate and powerful wording help tell the story of the case study. For my video I will try to clearly layout continuity since my screenplay could have more clarity around the subject.

I hope that all I had learned has contributed to something that y’all enjoy and it can help you understand some Canadian history! Overall thanks for reading and please make sure you comment any questions on this post. I am eager to learn more and improve even more than I already have.

The Case For a Nation: Week One

Enlglish 9

Social Studies 9

Maker 9

Social Studies 9

Maker 9

Overall this week was a great start to the project. Although, I have created exceptionally good work so far, there is always room to improve and learn. I am exited to fill my head with more knowledge and to learn new things that may just blow me away. Thanks for reading.

It’s Alive, Its Alive!… Well not really

Number 3!  Four weeks in and we already have finished half of our final project before the break. These past few weeks have been pretty hectic, and the transition between the projects had not been easy. Since this is the last project in the first half of this quarter, the new system has become somewhat normal. The tough two hour periods have been gruelling but the amount of work our PLP 9 class has put in to our three projects, deserves a well earned break.

The name of this project was definitely one to remember. At first when I heard it, I didn’t have a clue of what it could be. Knowing that this project was based around the Industrial Revolution, I had an ever growing wonder of how the name could relate. Later that day when the project outline was given, I knew that the work ahead would be a roller coaster of ups and downs. As with most other projects in the past, Frankenstuffie 2020 was approached with a growth mindset. I decided that I would just ride the waves of the project and strive to always do my best along the way. I was already wiped-out from our last project, therefore  I didn’t have quite the same “oomph”, going into it.

With support from our previous DQ, Rise of the Frankenstuffie project was lead by the Driving Question: HOW DO REVOLUTIONS TRANSFORM THE WORLD? As An individual, I came up with the answer: Revolutions transform the world by fundamentally changing the beliefs and ideas that society’s are based upon. This was revealed both in the Industrial Revolution through the global spread of ideas, and the American and French Revolutions through the spread of political, social, and economic beliefs.

The Ever Changing Road To My Answer…

The launch for this project consisted of the knowledge and skills needed in order to begin the learning process. In this case the skills were learning how to sew, and the knowledge was learning the key concepts of the Industrial Revolution. During this phase of the project, I developed my first understandings on why the Industrial Revolution may have worldwide impacts.

The construction of my frankenstuffie took a while, but after tearing apart multiple stuffed animals and sewing them together in my own creative way, milestone one was ready to be tackled. Since we had a physical creature, all that was left to do is to use our wild imagination to bring it to life.  For this part of the process, I decided that I would tap into my inner creativity and let it all out into my Character Resume. Coming up with a name was easy peasy and by the end of that day, Dre had become as real as ever.

By milestone two, my answer had slowly began to form. Taking in all of the knowledge from what we had learned so far, I realized how much the ‘spread of new ideas’ was an out come of most Revolutions. I knew that that couldn’t be a finalized answer, so I continued learning and reflecting along the way.

The final product for milestone two was when we incorporated short fiction and the Industrial Revolution to make a creative short story, using the Designing Texts competency: Have I used writing and design processes to plan, develop, create, and refine engaging and meaningful texts considering purpose, audience, and message?, And the Comprehending Texts competency: Have I applied a variety of strategies to comprehend texts and express an understanding of how texts use features? After becoming masters on short fiction by learning many various skills such as the 6+1 traits of writing, it was time to begin the writing process.

Late nights and writers blocks were just the beginning of the difficulties I faced while writing. I struggled to incorporate all of my previous details from milestone one and two, and by the time that I realized that was not necessary, I was already nearly 2000 words in. Although it was a mentally strenuous process, I managed to have a completed story that met the criteria by the time that it was due. At the time I thought it was a bit of a mess, but when I started to reflect, I realized how much the work was worth it. I found that I not only extended in most of the criteria given, but I added the skill of precise, creative writing to my repertoire.

The forth, fifth, and sixth milestones seem to come with ought warning, and the calm after the storm of milestone two vanished as if it were never there. My answer to our driving question had altered once again. Using knowledge that we had been given from the leviathan book as well as how the Industrial Revolution effected lives around the world, I had curated a fresh perspective on my answer. Not only do Revolutions transform ideas around the world, but the once never question beliefs of societies, can fundamentally change as well.

After milestone four’s screenplay and video planning using the story spine, as well as my masterpiece of a story board, it was time to put my movie making hat on and get to work. I had travelled a far distance from when we first started. I learned how to make my descriptive writing more concise, I had learned new video and filmmaking skills, and most of all I had learned the history of the revolutions that allow me to be writing this at this very moment.

Milestone six was when my patience and determination to express my ideas was put the test. When I showed my teacher my story spine for my video and she warned me of the extensive work ahead of me, I didn’t realize how right she could’ve been. With the previos uses of  competencies throughout the project, I really only used them as guidance and to see if I was on the right track. Although, in this milestone I took the creative communicator and the other competencies to heart. I made sure that in my final video I used as many of the applications I could access  with this iPad. A few ten-hour-workdays later, I had created a piece of work that I could not have been more proud of. Although it was not Pixar-quality animation, the amount of time and patience I put into the video was incredibly visible.

My film followed the story of scientifically created, Dre and his journey to save his home, Greenland from the bitter chill of the frozen wasteland that the country had become. He ventures to Scotland in the midst of the Industrial Revolution and finds new ideas and skills that may be the solution to the problem.

As with most projects I had learned skills that I never knew existed.

With a finalized answer to the DQ and much needed rest, I stepped out into the light at the end of the once dark tunnel. It was only then that I realized the tunnel was lit all along.

Thank you for reading and make sure you comment any questions you have on this post or project.

“I’m Talking About a Revolution” (it whispers)

It hasn’t even been two weeks since we finished our last project and our PLP 9 class is already done our second one this year! As I said in my previous post, this year is quite different. COVID 19 still requires the school year to be structured on a quarter system, and out of school restrictions are only getting larger. It is a hard time to live in, but I found being able to go to school and have access to that social interaction has helped tremendously.

how do revolutions transform societies? As we continue to build storytelling skills, you will establish historical significance and analyze the cause and consequence of different historical revolutions to literally build – and film! – an answer to the driving question.

Our second project for our 2020/21 school year was titled Storm The Bericades. The main focus of it was to learn all about revolutions and what their impact was on the world. All of the work in this project was lead by the driving question: HOW DO REVOLUTIONS TRANSFORM SOCIETIES? Since PLP is only two classes this year, each class consists of two different subjects and, due to the fact that we only have one project at a time, there are competency’s for all four subjects crammed into this one project. The competencies include:

ENGLISH

SOCIAL STUDIES

Establish Historical Significance: How do we make choices about what is worth remembering?

Analyze Cause and Consequence: Who or what influenced events to occur and what were the consequences of those events?

MAKER

Creative Communicator: How might I use technology to create and communicate?

Unlike others, this project consisted of a lot of launch and building knowledge work. It seemed like for ever, but, by day 8 we had finally left the launch phase.  Although at the time the launch phase seemed endless with not enough hands on working, as I think about what I gained from it, I realize that I wouldn’t have been able to complete all the milestones as well as I did.

In my previous post I covered all that I learned from the first half of the project. For this one it ill cover the last portion as well as the crucial learning pieces throughout the entire project. In the second half, me and my group of four: Keenan, Sophia, and Jakob, really began to get the  final knowledge needed to answer the driving question. Since milestone two, we have completed four crucial milestones. Each one unique but also with the same end goal.

Our third milestone was similar to our second except for the outlined question we were trying to answer. The DQ for this piece of work asked us to detail what the causes and consequences of the French Revolution were. For the milestone, we had to not only make another mod to our machine, but we were asked to write a proper  paragraph to answer the question of the milestone.  At first I thought this was going to be easier than the last the American Revolution and the paragraph that followed. Knowing that the last one was too long and had a lot of unimportant supporting  details, I decided that I would try to keep it all in one paragraph, unlike my previous one where I was edging on four decent sized paragraphs.  Although I tried, I realized I had learned to much about the revolution and found it hard not include every detail of the event. Lucky enough for me, by the time I had completed my first copy, I still had plenty of free time afterwards. After some harsh but useful feedback from my older brother Luca, I immediately went to work. My final product was nearly half the size of my first, and was much more precise. I ended up getting better feedback from my teacher, and only had a little bit of revising to do. In this milestone I personally learned all about how different aspects of a revolution can be followed from a cause all the way to a consequence.

I thought that our video for the French Revolution showed incredible improvement from the previous one we made. Keeping some common traits such as explanation of Crain Britton’s theory and the sound track that I made, the video also used different pictures from the revolution to represent the different phases.

Although some of the class’s paragraph covered the criteria for the milestone, most of them did not answer the DQ  or were not well written in some sort of way. This being the circumstance, our teacher thought that it would be better to postpone the essay that was scheduled and dedicate the day to perfecting our Cause and Consequence paragraphs.

The fifth (which really was the fourth) and final milestone was when we exhibited and answered the Driving question using our previos knowledge of revolutions and video skills. As a group, our first line of action was to brainstorm an answer to the DQ: HOW DO REVOLUTIONS TRANSFORM SOCIETIES? With past knowledge from the book “Leviathan” and previous milestones, we immediately got to thinking. By the end of that class we came to the conclusion that there were a few common traits of revolutions. We talked about how they can completely change the social structures as well as  the political structure of a society. We also knew that the economy of a society often changes after a revolution.  That day, I went home thinking about how we can phrase our answer. Finally we constructed the answer: Revolutions transform the social-political structure of a society, due to the fact that the economy doesn’t fundamentally change 100% of the time. This would be the basis of the final video as well as all the preparation needed. Although we already had a pretty clear idea of how we would make the video, we still needed to create the story we would tell. We began with the story mountain where we planed and wrote down the structure of our plot. This is where I best showed the “Designing Texts” competency. In the story mountain, storyboard, and final video I showed how I can extend at both using different forms of media and audio to best show my answer. As a group we had some ups and downs, but by the final video our collaboration skills helped us work proficiently and productively. To end the video, you will see that I added credits to show how each of us contributed.one thing I took away from this project was how knowing different members strengths and weaknesses could to help make a smooth and well made end product.

Overall, I hope you enjoyed our final video and thank you for reading. Make sure to comment any ideas or questions you have on this post.

Revolutions: it Ain’t Over Till its Its Over

It hasn’t even been two weeks since we finished our last project and our PLP nine class is already nearly done our second one this year! As I said in my previous post, this year is quite different. COVID 19 still requires the school year to be structured on a quarter system and out of school restrictions are only getting larger. Its a hard time to live in but I found being able to go to school and have access to that social interaction has helped tremendously.

This is a “Formative Post”, which means I  am reflecting on all that I have learned from the fifty percent of the project we have completed. Formative posts are helpful because they can really highlight the process of the project since it is still fresh on your mind. They are also a great way to jot-down all of what you learned in the first half, so you can focus on the second half in the final post.

ENGLISH

SOCIAL STUDIES

MAKER

Although we have only completed half of the project, the amount of work and learning I have done is worth reflecting.

Unlike others, this project consisted of a lot of launch and building knowledge work. It seemed like for ever, but, by day 8 we had finally left the launch phase.  Although at the time launch seemed like a bit to much explaining and not enough working, as I think about what a gained from it, I realize that I probably wouldn’t have been able to complete the big milestones as well as I could when they came.

So far I have completed 2 gruelling milestones out our the six that are in this project. After building our knowledge about Crain Brittons theory of revolutions we were tasked with job to create a Rube Goldberg machine that would exhibit his theory using metaphors. To be honest with you,  when I first was informed of what we had to do and the amount of time we had, I knew that this would be difficult. Hahaha, and boy was I right! Me and my group of four: Keenan, Sophia, and Jakob,  found ourselves struggling only 20 minutes into the process. Our first task was to make a metaphor for each phase of the revolution, which came easy, but as soon as we had to start building, our brains turned into a thick ooze. We found out that the reason planning was so easy was because we didn’t really think about the rationality of each metaphor we would build. For example we thought we were going to be able to build a motorized conveyer to represent the fact that sometimes the revolution could repeat itself.

After spending nearly the entire day building, we found that our machine was short of a phase. Since our project had to be completed in such a small time frame, there was no time to catch up. Even after working the next morning before school, we still had to do the actual milestone. Although, I have to say I was very proud of our final product. It wasn’t pretty or smooth to say the least, but it did its job and did it well. Each metaphor was clearly shown and for the most part, what we made ended up to be quite similar to our original plan.

The feeling of achievement only lasted for a short while when we realized that the second mod and video was going to be due just a couple days after that. With an un filmed video and tiered brains, we made a plan. Since we hadn’t filmed yet, we decided that we were going to do that during class and hope we could get the second mod done before the end of that day when it was due.

I, and I’m sure the rest of my group was feeling done with being always one step behind, so we decided to take action. By the end of class that day we had finally finished filming our video and well on our way to finishing our second mod. That night I started the editing process. Since we were very behind, I decided to take ownership of the video to make it the best I could, hoping to fully answer the competencies and show how I had extended my learning. In the video I added audio, edited and to extend my knowledge I created a mind map with my notes from a previous stepping stone. I found that this helped provide more information  as well as make the video more aesthetically appealing. This is were I best showed my understanding of the “Understanding Text”   Competency. Besides the mind map, I also orchestrated a track in GarageBand which I thought would help convey the information better. So far, I thought that the video was were I best showed the “Creative Communicator” competency. For our next video we plan to record strait into iMovie due to the fact that we couldn’t use the original audio since it was too hard to cut and fit into the correct spots.

The second milestone was very different to the first. This milestone was led by the “Establishing Historical Significance” competency and was all about the American Revolution. Our task was to write a proper paragraph on the historical Significance of the American Revolution. For preparation, we learned about what questions to ask to determine if something is worth remembering as well as a few events that held historical significance and why they did. After that, we were asked to make our first mod to our Rube Goldberg machine. At the time we hadn’t finished our first machine, so I decided that I had enough information just to go strait ahead to the paragraph. As I was writing, I realized how much my notes helped and how much I actually learned from each lecture we were given. Although I was very happy with my end result, next time I would do this, I would try to keep the paragraph more precise. Even though it took me a few to many words, I believe that I gave a clear explanation to how the American Revolution was historically significant.

overall I would say that I am pretty worked, although I am very exited for all that I will learn in the upcoming milestones. Thank you for reading and make sure to stay tuned for my finishing post.

An Exact Remake… almost

It’s been a while since I last posted. 152 days to be precise.  The world has changed more than the oceans tide on a blue moon, and our way of living may never go back to how it was just 9 months ago. But here we are back on the grind, back to school, and back to a somewhat familiar past. Although we have not, and will not have any field schools this year and there are a bijillion different COVID guidelines in the classroom, we can still learn almost the same as before the pandemic.

This year our time is split into quarters. There are four quarters and in each quarter there are ten weeks of two different classes. Just a little background history on my year so far: my quarter one classes were food economics and physical education or “gym”. Coming from the soft pillow of minuscule amounts of homework, let alone any written work at all, diving into the brisk ocean of two acedemic classes was quite the shock. But!. Lucky enough for me, I had grown the power of a growth mindset from countless times of practice.

Your final product will be an exact replica of a one minute short film called “Run”. The task is challenging because you will need to create everything yourself: the shots, the sounds, the effects, the titles, the characters, the setting, the dialogue….. you make it all!
In short, you will have recreate the film – ideally to the point we can’t even tell which is the original!

My very first project in my q2 grade nine year was titled: “RUNNING A REMAKE” guided by the driving question: HOW MIGHT WE LEARN VIDEO SKILLS BY RECREATING A SHORT FILM? Since we have a very limited time to cover this years curriculum, we have to get through projects as fast and efficient as possible. For this project, we had only a week to finish what would normally be a multiple week process and in just five weeks we are going to complete 3 whole projects from start to finish.  It’ll be a task but a task I am eager to attempt.

Using the Everyone Can Create Video guide and the app Clips, you will be creating an introduction to yourself. This is a good chance to getting used to being on camera and recording yourself! • Answers the challenge by introducing yourself by name creatively • Shows a hobby or interest you have • Establishes setting and mood • Uses photos that move, live titles, labels, stickers, and expressive music • Keeps the timing snappy (less than 2 minutes) • Has identifiable story mountain as storytelling device

Running a Remake was spilt into four essential  milestones all led by the competency, Innovative Designer: How might I design a solution to a problem, process, or challenge?. Although I was proud of all work I completed, I showed my most growth through milestone 1. We worked hard on this project from day one and having a major milestone due within the first two hours of the very first day was difficult. We were asked to create a short video that introduced ourselves and one of our favourite hobbies and to structure our video using the infamous story spine. We were given a guidance video from apple’s, Everyone Can Create Book on what the video should look like as well as how to use Clips which was the application we used. When I started I wasn’t quite in my productive mindset and my first draft proved that pretty well. The video was not  on the guidance of the story spine, therefore my first draft ended up to be a little under expectation. After learning that video was for guidance unlike our final product, things became much easier. That night I finished the video to the best of my ability, making sure to use the app and my technological knowledge as much as could. By the end I  had created a clear sense of mood and structure to portray myself as well as one of my favourite hobbies.

After creating our plan for action, as well as a detailed storyboard, Quinn, Julien, Erin, Nathan and I were ready to embark on the twists and turns of Milestone 3.  This was the “big one” as I would say in terms of the milestones of the project. Although there was still another milestone in our path, I knew that this one would be when all of our previous work was going to be put to the test. The learning that was done in this milestone would answer the driving question as well as the competency of this project.  In this project the solution was the video and the problem, process, or challenge was making an exact remake of the one minute horror film: RUN! After just starting the project on Wednesday, by Thursday, it was already time to start the filming process. The day began with some nerves in the air and bags full of makeshift props and costumes. Since we were shooting outside, we were relived that the clouds and rain had parted. We had found what we thought would be a good filming spot in a bike trail at our local park. Nathan, our star of the film had brought his costume of all grey which we had suspected to be perfect for the job. I would say that our attention to detail for the first shoot was pretty good and by the end of shooting, nearly 30 shots at the correct angle and length, I was actually surprised at how well we had done. I had picked out a pretty spot on costume for the black creature and we operated pretty smoothly considering we were one group member short. Once we had finished, I packed my trusty iPad, which we used the entire time for filming, and headed back to show the entire class.

Going into the critique section we knew that our video wasn’t 100% exact: our location was different, the lighting wasn’t the same, and by the time we had to hand it in we hadn’t even finished our editing. Although, I personally thought that most of that would slide with little notice. Haha, NOPE! By the end of the critique, although a bit disheveled, we had obtained some very useful critique and understanding on what was expected of an Accomplished grade.  To our satisfaction, we weren’t the only group that needed to make some changes. Almost as if our teacher new we would have an epic F.A.I.L, we all were able to remake the remake the next day.

Since our main critique was our limiting setting, we immediately explored the park for a better and more similar location to the movie to film. We also bettered the costumes and spent much more attention to detail on our angles and shots. Re-doing the entire process was not fun and was hard to get through. Although, looking back on all that went into the filming process makes me realize how much I gained without knowing. I know now the most steady way to hold an iPad while filming, how important it is to keep the focus of the shot in frame, and many other slight details to make me a better cinematographer. I also learned that the more gruelling something is to complete and the more obstacles that are in your way, the more you will learn during an experience.

It took the rest of the afternoon and evening before we had finished editing, and although I’m sure critique is in our future, between the two drafts that we completed, the improvement could be noticed from Mars. I can’t say the task was easy, but when distributed throughout a group, we managed to work at a sufficient and productive pace. I learned that I have a strength in some things, like editing clips together, while some group members do not, but I also have a weakness in storyboarding more than a small amount of scenes. Although, with the diverse skill of my group, my weaknesses were another’s strong arm.

Overall I wouldn’t say I’m ready for another project but I’m sure I will learn something new no matter what. Thank you for reading and make sure to comment any thoughts you have on this post.

The Sky Is Always Bluer Online

What an adventure! I have now made it through two Exhibitions and each one was an experience to remember. If you dont know about my first Exabition, click here to read the post. The first one was in winter, hence the name “Winter Exabition” and the second one was considered the “Spring Exabition” which we rapped up lat week. Although both projects had the same way of presentation, they weren’t both considered a “Blue Sky”. Blue Sky is a project that us students create ourselves. Usually there are certain guidelines that are the back bone of the project as well as the theme of the Exabition. Both Exhibitions shared those traits, but the winter one was said to be a “Mini Blue Sky” instead of just a Blue Sky.

After The winter Exabition had concluded and we were informed that we would have another Blue Sky near the end of the year.  Back then I thought that it would be the same treacherous experience as out first Exabition. I had that point of view for the majority of the year.  Although, when the COVID19 Pandemic began and school was postponed, I realized that everything was about to change. We had already made it through one Maker project at home and let me just say that it was a rough start. It was a hard first couple of weeks but after many un-productive days I had found a way to succeed. luckily I had learned how to be productive before our first project was finished. This allowed this project to be a much smoother process.

This Blue Sky project was based around the UN sustainable goals that were introduced in 2016.  We were asked to choose one of the twenty goals that interested us to base our project on. After we had a few of our favourite goals in mind, we had to narrow it down to one goal that connected with the COVID pandemic that we are facing today. I immediately thought of some previous reading that I had read about pollution levels during the time of quarantine and how much they had dropped. I wondered if there was a way to keep the current pollution levels as low as they are as cities begin to reopen. I was already eager to start building an answer to my question but I then remembered from the winter Blue Sky how much needed to be done before I could even start blueprinting. By the next week it was finally time embark on the Blu Sky journey and start the LAUNCH cycle.

This project was led by the driving question: Using one of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals as a guide, how would you solve a problem facing our community/province/world?. The  three competencies in this project were:

Research and Understand: How might I research and understand a problem, process, or challenge using different perspectives?

Take Creative Risks: How might I use technology to create in new ways?

And finally,

Revise: How might I see this as a First Attempt In Learning and revise?

I have many examples of how I best answered each competency so I will quickly provide one piece of evidence that I thought best show my understanding for each competency.

The Research and Understand competency was used for the L, A,U, and N fazes of the project where we completed all of the background research. Unlike the previous Exabition we only had one week to finish the research aspect of the project. After forming my how HMW question in the L faze, I began the research in order to answer the question. Since my HMW was: How might we keep the CO2 levels at their current state as cities begin to reopen,  I began my research with questions all about CO2. We created a Need to Know document where we listed all of the questions we needed to answer before we could find a solution to our question. I somehow to had endless amounts of questions which mad it a longer process but it ended up being a crucial step towards my project. It took me many days of researching, brainstorming, and bundling my ideas before I had any idea of what my solution may look like.

The Project Pitch Form was the final product of all the research and it was were we pitched a couple ideas of what the solution to our questions would be. By the  end my research, I had focused my thoughts around photosynthesis and how plants filter out the carbon dioxide. I decided that I would make Some sort of synthetic material or mechanism that would mimic photosynthesis in plants. As I said in my launch Journal, it took me a wile to focus my research and interests but by the end I had got over my problem and thought out a rough idea that I was very proud of.

• Take Creative Risks: How might I use technology to create in new ways?

The next competency that we visited in the LAUNCH cycle asked us to Take Creative Risks. This one covered the C or create faze of the Cycle. Creating the prototype is my favourite part of the process. Being able to use all the research to create something that had never been made before is pretty special. Although there are a lot of positive results in this faze, there are also many times that were hard to handle. This is where the “risks: part of the competency is put into play. Risks are risks and they don’t alway turn out the way you want them to. For me, I had a very clear idea of the material I was going to make, but it was a risk to try to make it. My first blueprint went smoothly, but when I went to see if I had all of the materials needed, the results were quite discouraging. I only had one of the parts on my list. I completely rethought what my solution would be and started over. This was definitely a huge F.A.I.L. Although back then I though I was ruined, this risk had sparked a new and even better idea for my solution.

• Revise: How might I see this as a First Attempt In Learning and revise?

The final competency for this project was Revise. With my F.A.I.L in the create faze, I had to restart the prototyping process of the project. I began brainstorming my ideas once more and did some additional research on ways to capture carbon. After a day or two of planning out the process and making sure that I had all of the materials, I began my blueprinting once more. My idea was to take a fan and put a absorbent material over the backside of the fan. The material would have special chemical called LYE that separates the carbon atom from the oxygen atom in a chemical reaction. In the blueprint I showed all of those elements as well as the fact that it was solar powered. After I had a very clear idea of how it would look, I began with a rough physical prototype that gave me a seance of how it works. The first prototype was quite large making it very un-portable and accessible. When I asked for feedback my critics mostly said how it would not be durable due to its fragile figure and material. The next prototype was much smaller and durable with a wider base. Since it was only a prototype and it wouldn’t be used commercially, I decide to make it a miniature version of my originally idea. I used a P95 mask covered in a chemical solution for the material, which made for a better filter. I attach he’d the mask to the back side of the fan, then I plugged it into its power source. Since the fan used USB chord, I was able to attach it to  a solar powered battery just beside it. This prototype ended up looking very much like my original blueprint and worked better than ever before. It was then time to LAUNCH it to an audience and I was ready to do so. After I revised my work multiple times and I had a First Attempt In Learning, I had made a final product that I was very proud of. Not only did it solve my question, but it represented something bigger to myself. I had worked so hard and been so interested in what I learned, and to have completed something that I will remember for ever, feels very good.

These last months have been a long haul but this project has made quarantine bearable. I have learned a lot and I had so much fun during the course of the project and presenting it was just as exiting. Although we didn’t get to present in different themed rooms with snacks and colourful lights, we were still able to put on a show that many people will remember for a while. I got to say that I was a bit surprised on how well we performed but then as I look back on how hard our Climate Action group worked, it was understandable. Over all I enjoyed the Sustainable Blue Sky project and thought that it was a great way to end the year. Thank you for reading and make sure you comment any questions or thoughts you may have on this post.

Every Object Tells a Story

As you probably know from my other posts, The last term or our year was spent at home. Due to the COVID pandemic schools have been shut down since the end of march. I originally thought that we would have just a much longer summer but that was not the case for long. By the second week after spring break all schools announced that we would be doing online schooling for the remainder of the year. In PLP we do our work on iPads which should make it much easier, although for me it took nearly an entire project to get used to. It was a hard couple of weeks but after many un-productive days I had found a way to succeed.

luckily I had learned how to be productive before our first project was finished. This allowed our second project, Every Object Tells a Story to be a much smoother process. For this project I found myself learning more and really absorbing the knowledge that we were provided. It may have been that I was really intrigued by what we were learning or maybe it was because I was just getting more sleep. For this project we were lead by the driving question: What can artifacts teach us about settlement, peoples, and life in New France?

The competencies in this Every Object tells a story were:

Communicate: How do I share my own ideas when I write, speak, and represent?

For this particular project, the two competencies guided us through each and every milestone we completed. I enjoyed that because I was able to grow my understanding of the two through the entire project. The first milestone for this competency was one of my favourite. Not only was it relevant to the pandemic we are facing today, but it was a great start to the project. This milestone was all about showing evidence how an object has significance to you during the pandemic. It would be something that you would remember the pandemic by. For me the basket ball had been my main source of entertainment and exercise so I decided that the basket ball would be my artifact. I found that I communicate best through video format, as showed in this milestone.  This was the first milestone of the project and I thought that it was my best evidence to show my understanding of the communicate competency.

Evidence: How do we evaluate evidence to decide if it is adequate to support a historical conclusion?
In this project our final product used the previous milestone. Since our end result was a book creator book we were asked to create a series of things that we would put in the book. The first thing we need to to do was our story. After days of artifact research and learning about what life was like in New France, we were asked to create a short story  that follows a character  in New France and the artifact that we researched.
Since I like to be descriptive in my writing, I created a creative writing piece that took place in the Fortress of Louisbourg in what we now call Nova Scotia. Francois is a French soldier during the Seven Years War that works the mortar at the fort. The story explained how difficult it was to operate a mortar and how François’s bravery and determination impacted the Seven Years War. Since I had a lot  knowledge behind my story, I found it incredibly difficult to compact it into our three page limit. After I had completed the short story it was time to start the final Book Creator Book. All we had to do after this milestone was compact our research into a paragraph, add the story, and create an all about me page. The design and aesthetics were completely up to us. Although François was not a real person, the story dose follow factual knowledge of what life in New France was like for a soldier like himself. After I had completed my book I realized that I had answered the driving question. The mortar had taught me so much about that time period and what life in New France was like than I would have ever thought.
I enjoyed this project not only because I learned tons, but because I was able to express how I best learn multiple times.  Whether it be my creative writing or making a video or even plotting down quick notes, I thought that I was able thoroughly complete each piece of work. Overall, this project was a great way to end the year and my time in online schooling. Make sure that you comment any thoughts or questions you have on this post.

The Road Trip of Of A Lifetime

A dream come true I would say. Ever since I moved from California in 2012 I have always wanted to take a trip down the west coast. Surfing has always been an interest of mine and being able to surf everyday at some of the best surf spots in the world would be amazing. In this project we got to to do just that. Well almost. The Ultimate Road-Trip combined math and science as well as our dreaming capabilities to plot out a road trip with ta budget of $10,000. The project was led by the driving question: How might we model changes over time?

The first competency that we visited in this project was Reasoning and Analyzing: Estimate reasonably. For this competency we were asked to make a spreadsheet in Numbers that details our budget for the trip. We then had to make sure that our grand total cost is between $9500 and $10000. Although this milestone was quite time consuming, I found myself enjoying every bit of it. To start off the project we were asked to choose our road vehicle and to state where we would depart from. We also had to record the cost per night of the vehicle. Once we had that information, we needed to build the math knowledge for the project. We learned all about linear equations, graphing and how we would present our project. Although I felt ready to start graphing, I still needed to find the objects that I would use my $10,000 on. After in found the objects and thief costs, it was finally time to plot them down on the chart. I thought that I understood this competency and even extended my knowledge for the milestone by adding the percentages of the total cost each item had. After I completed the chart and I had all of my totals, it was time to create our final product.

The next competency in this project was: Communicating and Representing: Represent mathematical ideas in concrete, pictorial, and symbolic forms. This competency led us through the final stages of the Ultimate Road-Trip. Finally, with all of the mathematical knowledge we had learned in mind, we created a linear formula that would be shown on a graph. We used 2 totals that we found to create the formula (y=mx+b). For this stage we used an app called Desmos which made everything much easier and understandable.  All we had to do was punch our totals into the equation and the app would make the graph. Well… it wasn’t as easy as it sounds. I immediately found myself struggling to make the graph change in any way and the app was telling me that my formula was invalid. I tried and tried again until finally, the lines on the graph moved. I thought I had succeeded untill I relized that the y-intercept was completely off. I came to the conclusion that I had done my original calculations incorrectly. Finally, after I re-did my calculations multiple times, I checked the y-intercept and it worked! I have too say that this competency was where I showed the most growth through this project.

Overall I can say that I enjoyed completing this project and although I had my ups and downs,  I answered the driving question through my end product. Not only have I learned tons about linear relations, but I can now say that I am ready to embark on my Ultimate Road Trip. Thank you for reading and make sure to comment any thoughts or questions you have on this post.