The Sky Is Always Bluer Online

What an adventure! I have now made it through two Exhibitions and each one was an experience to remember. If you dont know about my first Exabition, click here to read the post. The first one was in winter, hence the name “Winter Exabition” and the second one was considered the “Spring Exabition” which we rapped up lat week. Although both projects had the same way of presentation, they weren’t both considered a “Blue Sky”. Blue Sky is a project that us students create ourselves. Usually there are certain guidelines that are the back bone of the project as well as the theme of the Exabition. Both Exhibitions shared those traits, but the winter one was said to be a “Mini Blue Sky” instead of just a Blue Sky.

After The winter Exabition had concluded and we were informed that we would have another Blue Sky near the end of the year.  Back then I thought that it would be the same treacherous experience as out first Exabition. I had that point of view for the majority of the year.  Although, when the COVID19 Pandemic began and school was postponed, I realized that everything was about to change. We had already made it through one Maker project at home and let me just say that it was a rough start. It was a hard first couple of weeks but after many un-productive days I had found a way to succeed. luckily I had learned how to be productive before our first project was finished. This allowed this project to be a much smoother process.

This Blue Sky project was based around the UN sustainable goals that were introduced in 2016.  We were asked to choose one of the twenty goals that interested us to base our project on. After we had a few of our favourite goals in mind, we had to narrow it down to one goal that connected with the COVID pandemic that we are facing today. I immediately thought of some previous reading that I had read about pollution levels during the time of quarantine and how much they had dropped. I wondered if there was a way to keep the current pollution levels as low as they are as cities begin to reopen. I was already eager to start building an answer to my question but I then remembered from the winter Blue Sky how much needed to be done before I could even start blueprinting. By the next week it was finally time embark on the Blu Sky journey and start the LAUNCH cycle.

This project was led by the driving question: Using one of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals as a guide, how would you solve a problem facing our community/province/world?. The  three competencies in this project were:

Research and Understand: How might I research and understand a problem, process, or challenge using different perspectives?

Take Creative Risks: How might I use technology to create in new ways?

And finally,

Revise: How might I see this as a First Attempt In Learning and revise?

I have many examples of how I best answered each competency so I will quickly provide one piece of evidence that I thought best show my understanding for each competency.

The Research and Understand competency was used for the L, A,U, and N fazes of the project where we completed all of the background research. Unlike the previous Exabition we only had one week to finish the research aspect of the project. After forming my how HMW question in the L faze, I began the research in order to answer the question. Since my HMW was: How might we keep the CO2 levels at their current state as cities begin to reopen,  I began my research with questions all about CO2. We created a Need to Know document where we listed all of the questions we needed to answer before we could find a solution to our question. I somehow to had endless amounts of questions which mad it a longer process but it ended up being a crucial step towards my project. It took me many days of researching, brainstorming, and bundling my ideas before I had any idea of what my solution may look like.

The Project Pitch Form was the final product of all the research and it was were we pitched a couple ideas of what the solution to our questions would be. By the  end my research, I had focused my thoughts around photosynthesis and how plants filter out the carbon dioxide. I decided that I would make Some sort of synthetic material or mechanism that would mimic photosynthesis in plants. As I said in my launch Journal, it took me a wile to focus my research and interests but by the end I had got over my problem and thought out a rough idea that I was very proud of.

• Take Creative Risks: How might I use technology to create in new ways?

The next competency that we visited in the LAUNCH cycle asked us to Take Creative Risks. This one covered the C or create faze of the Cycle. Creating the prototype is my favourite part of the process. Being able to use all the research to create something that had never been made before is pretty special. Although there are a lot of positive results in this faze, there are also many times that were hard to handle. This is where the “risks: part of the competency is put into play. Risks are risks and they don’t alway turn out the way you want them to. For me, I had a very clear idea of the material I was going to make, but it was a risk to try to make it. My first blueprint went smoothly, but when I went to see if I had all of the materials needed, the results were quite discouraging. I only had one of the parts on my list. I completely rethought what my solution would be and started over. This was definitely a huge F.A.I.L. Although back then I though I was ruined, this risk had sparked a new and even better idea for my solution.

• Revise: How might I see this as a First Attempt In Learning and revise?

The final competency for this project was Revise. With my F.A.I.L in the create faze, I had to restart the prototyping process of the project. I began brainstorming my ideas once more and did some additional research on ways to capture carbon. After a day or two of planning out the process and making sure that I had all of the materials, I began my blueprinting once more. My idea was to take a fan and put a absorbent material over the backside of the fan. The material would have special chemical called LYE that separates the carbon atom from the oxygen atom in a chemical reaction. In the blueprint I showed all of those elements as well as the fact that it was solar powered. After I had a very clear idea of how it would look, I began with a rough physical prototype that gave me a seance of how it works. The first prototype was quite large making it very un-portable and accessible. When I asked for feedback my critics mostly said how it would not be durable due to its fragile figure and material. The next prototype was much smaller and durable with a wider base. Since it was only a prototype and it wouldn’t be used commercially, I decide to make it a miniature version of my originally idea. I used a P95 mask covered in a chemical solution for the material, which made for a better filter. I attach he’d the mask to the back side of the fan, then I plugged it into its power source. Since the fan used USB chord, I was able to attach it to  a solar powered battery just beside it. This prototype ended up looking very much like my original blueprint and worked better than ever before. It was then time to LAUNCH it to an audience and I was ready to do so. After I revised my work multiple times and I had a First Attempt In Learning, I had made a final product that I was very proud of. Not only did it solve my question, but it represented something bigger to myself. I had worked so hard and been so interested in what I learned, and to have completed something that I will remember for ever, feels very good.

These last months have been a long haul but this project has made quarantine bearable. I have learned a lot and I had so much fun during the course of the project and presenting it was just as exiting. Although we didn’t get to present in different themed rooms with snacks and colourful lights, we were still able to put on a show that many people will remember for a while. I got to say that I was a bit surprised on how well we performed but then as I look back on how hard our Climate Action group worked, it was understandable. Over all I enjoyed the Sustainable Blue Sky project and thought that it was a great way to end the year. Thank you for reading and make sure you comment any questions or thoughts you may have on this post.

Every Object Tells a Story

As you probably know from my other posts, The last term or our year was spent at home. Due to the COVID pandemic schools have been shut down since the end of march. I originally thought that we would have just a much longer summer but that was not the case for long. By the second week after spring break all schools announced that we would be doing online schooling for the remainder of the year. In PLP we do our work on iPads which should make it much easier, although for me it took nearly an entire project to get used to. It was a hard couple of weeks but after many un-productive days I had found a way to succeed.

luckily I had learned how to be productive before our first project was finished. This allowed our second project, Every Object Tells a Story to be a much smoother process. For this project I found myself learning more and really absorbing the knowledge that we were provided. It may have been that I was really intrigued by what we were learning or maybe it was because I was just getting more sleep. For this project we were lead by the driving question: What can artifacts teach us about settlement, peoples, and life in New France?

The competencies in this Every Object tells a story were:

Communicate: How do I share my own ideas when I write, speak, and represent?

For this particular project, the two competencies guided us through each and every milestone we completed. I enjoyed that because I was able to grow my understanding of the two through the entire project. The first milestone for this competency was one of my favourite. Not only was it relevant to the pandemic we are facing today, but it was a great start to the project. This milestone was all about showing evidence how an object has significance to you during the pandemic. It would be something that you would remember the pandemic by. For me the basket ball had been my main source of entertainment and exercise so I decided that the basket ball would be my artifact. I found that I communicate best through video format, as showed in this milestone.  This was the first milestone of the project and I thought that it was my best evidence to show my understanding of the communicate competency.

Evidence: How do we evaluate evidence to decide if it is adequate to support a historical conclusion?
In this project our final product used the previous milestone. Since our end result was a book creator book we were asked to create a series of things that we would put in the book. The first thing we need to to do was our story. After days of artifact research and learning about what life was like in New France, we were asked to create a short story  that follows a character  in New France and the artifact that we researched.
Since I like to be descriptive in my writing, I created a creative writing piece that took place in the Fortress of Louisbourg in what we now call Nova Scotia. Francois is a French soldier during the Seven Years War that works the mortar at the fort. The story explained how difficult it was to operate a mortar and how François’s bravery and determination impacted the Seven Years War. Since I had a lot  knowledge behind my story, I found it incredibly difficult to compact it into our three page limit. After I had completed the short story it was time to start the final Book Creator Book. All we had to do after this milestone was compact our research into a paragraph, add the story, and create an all about me page. The design and aesthetics were completely up to us. Although François was not a real person, the story dose follow factual knowledge of what life in New France was like for a soldier like himself. After I had completed my book I realized that I had answered the driving question. The mortar had taught me so much about that time period and what life in New France was like than I would have ever thought.
I enjoyed this project not only because I learned tons, but because I was able to express how I best learn multiple times.  Whether it be my creative writing or making a video or even plotting down quick notes, I thought that I was able thoroughly complete each piece of work. Overall, this project was a great way to end the year and my time in online schooling. Make sure that you comment any thoughts or questions you have on this post.

The Road Trip of Of A Lifetime

A dream come true I would say. Ever since I moved from California in 2012 I have always wanted to take a trip down the west coast. Surfing has always been an interest of mine and being able to surf everyday at some of the best surf spots in the world would be amazing. In this project we got to to do just that. Well almost. The Ultimate Road-Trip combined math and science as well as our dreaming capabilities to plot out a road trip with ta budget of $10,000. The project was led by the driving question: How might we model changes over time?

The first competency that we visited in this project was Reasoning and Analyzing: Estimate reasonably. For this competency we were asked to make a spreadsheet in Numbers that details our budget for the trip. We then had to make sure that our grand total cost is between $9500 and $10000. Although this milestone was quite time consuming, I found myself enjoying every bit of it. To start off the project we were asked to choose our road vehicle and to state where we would depart from. We also had to record the cost per night of the vehicle. Once we had that information, we needed to build the math knowledge for the project. We learned all about linear equations, graphing and how we would present our project. Although I felt ready to start graphing, I still needed to find the objects that I would use my $10,000 on. After in found the objects and thief costs, it was finally time to plot them down on the chart. I thought that I understood this competency and even extended my knowledge for the milestone by adding the percentages of the total cost each item had. After I completed the chart and I had all of my totals, it was time to create our final product.

The next competency in this project was: Communicating and Representing: Represent mathematical ideas in concrete, pictorial, and symbolic forms. This competency led us through the final stages of the Ultimate Road-Trip. Finally, with all of the mathematical knowledge we had learned in mind, we created a linear formula that would be shown on a graph. We used 2 totals that we found to create the formula (y=mx+b). For this stage we used an app called Desmos which made everything much easier and understandable.  All we had to do was punch our totals into the equation and the app would make the graph. Well… it wasn’t as easy as it sounds. I immediately found myself struggling to make the graph change in any way and the app was telling me that my formula was invalid. I tried and tried again until finally, the lines on the graph moved. I thought I had succeeded untill I relized that the y-intercept was completely off. I came to the conclusion that I had done my original calculations incorrectly. Finally, after I re-did my calculations multiple times, I checked the y-intercept and it worked! I have too say that this competency was where I showed the most growth through this project.

Overall I can say that I enjoyed completing this project and although I had my ups and downs,  I answered the driving question through my end product. Not only have I learned tons about linear relations, but I can now say that I am ready to embark on my Ultimate Road Trip. Thank you for reading and make sure to comment any thoughts or questions you have on this post.

TPOLS, an Online Journey

Driving Question: Why do you feel you are ready to advance to the next grade level?

It’s been a long time coming. It’s been nearly 10 months since I first stepped into the PLP classroom and the amount that has changed since then is uncanny. I have not only got comfortable with high school but I have Found a way to make learning my home. I have grown this year, not just physically but mentally. I have exceeded what I would have ever thought I could achieve and I have learned so much about myself along the way. I have learned to view life different whether that be my world view or how I approach every piece of work I do.

We started off this year with a project that I can now say has change my life. As I mentioned in my MPOL, I went into this year with a mostly closed mindset on school and more specifically, PLP. Lucky enough for me, that all change from this one project. In our maker class we began the year with the Big life journal.  In this project we learned all about the growth mindset and how important it is when approaching almost everything in life. This project not only taught me an exceptional work ethic, but it nudged me into practicing positive  work habits that I have used ever since.  I find it fascinating how vividly I remember those few maker classes. The knowledge I gathered from the project went far beyond my school life making me now appreciate the focus and hard work I put into al the assignments that I completed. Another project in this class that will always be neAr and dear to me was the Witness to History project that we finished just a few weeks earlier. This project shows some of my best work this year. I not only worked as hard as I could on this project, but I enjoyed every click of the camera during the process. This project allowed me to show my creativity and what I am passionate about through capturing such a difficult time in the world.

Since the main focus of PLP this year was WorldView, I found myself noticing how my worldview changed much more frequently. A project that had change my view on the world literally and metaphorically was a bit late on in the year than the big life journal. In our second humanities project we explored the major religions that make up our world today. This year has had a lot of highlights but being able to delve into the religions around us was increadibly eye opening. Another project that altered my worldview was a recent piece of work that I am very proud of.  The Argh Matey project was our first humanities project at home and I have to say that it wasn’t an easy adjustment. Coming from having time blocked classes all week to have only the guidance of a due date was very difficult. It took a few weeks for me to organize my days and even then my productivity was not at all satisfactory. After spending the majority of the project procrastinating and stressing about the work put out for me, Things had finally began to change.

I realized that our previous knowledge of PGP and the Getting Things Done tools, still applied for online and at home learning. I started by time blocking my days which helped me know when to work and when I could take a break. After I knew when I was going to work, I needed to know whatI was going to work on. I used things to record all of my work then and now as work began to pile up. After, I immediately put each piece of work in the the time blocks depending on their due date. After this process I was able to focus and create some of my best work I’ve done as a learner. This project spark the most growth I have face as a learner of my entire schooling experience. I realized that had finally achieved my goal of being a more efficient learner.

Although this year has been full of improvements, some the areas I grown the most is my group collaboration skills. This year in scimatics we completed multiple projects in different sized groups. One that stood out the most to me was our Ultimate Design challenge. For this project Quinn and I designed and measured a surfboard that we were able to 3D print as our final product. With most of the year to practice my skills of collaborating and sharing ideas in a group, I was able to get over every obstacle in our way way and finish off with a strong surfboard. I found myself appreciating the work we did, which had been rare in elementary grades.

This year had bee one for growth an improvement for me. I’ve learned more than I thought was imaginable and I found things out about me as a learner that have changed my worldview and perception on life itself. Although this year has gone by in a flash, I somehow remember every first attempt in learning and and every time improved in some way. Overall I can say that Ive had a great start to my high school experience and I am exited for all that I grow in the years to come.

Covid Through The Eyes Of A Camera

As you have learned in Maker 8, complex tasks may require multiple tools and technologies. This is a final opportunity to show all you have learned about using storytelling and the still image to bring your vision to life. This is a truly authentic, real-world task that you are undertaking; you will be creating a primary source artifact for generations from now showing the impact of COVID-19 on your community. So think carefully. Observe. Learn. It is your moment to share!

Photo journalism has always been extremely crucial for documenting history. Whether it be historic moments in time or messages that cannot be explained with words, the power of a photograph is undeniable. Currently we are witnessing a very historic event that has made up most of 2020. COVID-19 has had a detrimental effect on humanity across the world. Living in a developed country,  the thought of there being a major epidemic in our borders was hard to believe. My worldview of living in a reliable society, led me to think that no severe sicknesses could develop enough to spread at such a rapid rate. At the beginning, the virus was far away from home, but in a matter of months, the Coronavirus was announced as a worldwide pandemic.

In our Maker 8 class, we used our photography skills as well as our knowledge around the epidemic, COVID-19, to construct a photo essay that would answer our driving question: How can we as photo journalists tell stories of our community during this time of physical distancing. Although, before we could take any photos, we needed to become knowledgeable of both the impacts of the Coronavirus as well as the art of photography.

Milestone two was a huge step forward to answering our driving question, as well as a great example of the “empowered learner”competency.  After using technology to research about photo journalism and what makes a strong photograph, it was time to see what someone in my community’s view was on the pandemic and more specifically, physical distancing. This step would help give me some contrast of opinions and beliefs. I decided to interview my neighbour, Linda, who lives closest to my home. Although I would have preferred a face to face, I once again had to use my growth mindset and conduct an online interview. After the interview we had to keep an open mind to photo essay possibilities and brainstorm five different themes.  Linda’s stories of her experiences and worries of physical distancing had helped create a somewhat clearer idea of the answer to the driving question.

Since my community is Sunshine Falls Lane, which is very deep in the wilderness, I decided to base my photo essay around that factor. With an idea in mind, and a well thought out plan, it was time to start creating. This part of the project was led with the “empowered learner” competency as well as the “digital citizen” competency, which is about using technology to connect with the world. Milestone 4 helped us create a thorough image of what our photo essay would look like and what story it would tell. Using a story spine that I made for a stepping stone of the project, I carefully drew each photo. I took all that I had learned about composition of a photograph into account, as well as the message I was trying to convey with each photograph. Although this milestone was very time consuming, I knew that it would be crucial for the final product.

Due to my love of photography,  taking the photos was very enjoyable. The biggest problem I faced while shooting was not being able to take pictures of my community members due to physical distancing. Although, after convincing my family members to let me put a camera in their face and act as if they were members of the community, I was able to take nine unique photos that answered the driving question to the best of my ability. On each page of my photo essay, I give a brief explanation of what each photo is depicting, but to see the entire story of a community that found its liveliness during isolation through the eyes of the camera is phenomenal. As they say, a picture is worth 1000 words.

Although it is hard to believe, we are all a witness to history. The coronavirus has spread us apart physically, but with the power of photo journalism, I can hopefully bring my community and the larger community of  humanity together. I told a story of a rural community that has found happiness and satisfaction in their lives by staying mentally fit during isolation.  I’m sure that my story will be true for other communities around the world. Make sure you comment any questions or thoughts about this post.

The Golden Age of Exploration and Disease

As you know from my “Witness to History” post, history comes in all forms. From the first man on the moon, all the way to the pandemic we are facing today, what makes something historically significant varies. Most history is documented in some way, whether it be a photograph or through art, or even stories that are passed on from generation to generation. Back in the fourteen and fifteen hundreds, most history was recorded using journals or scrolls. That’s when our project, “Argh Matey”, takes place.

The Search For El’Dorado

This project incorporated two classes, Humanities and Scimatics, which resulted in the same final product. The science aspect of “Argh Matey” was led by the driving question, How do cells and diseases interact?  While the social studies aspect was led with the driving question, What is the historical significance of your explorer?

Competency Being Assessed: 
  • Questioning and Predicting: Demonstrate a sustained intellectual curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest
The first competency for the Scimatics portion of the project was questioning and predicting.  The first activity we had to do was a project start mindmap. The mindmap included what we already knew about the driving question as well as questions we may have about the project or what we were going to learn. Since I had very little knowledge on cells and diseases, I had many questions about what we were going to learn in the weeks to come.
Scientific Communication:
Communicate ideas, findings, and solutions to problems, using scientific language, representations, and digital technologies.
After choosing my disease and researching the effects it has on the body, it was time to start planning out the comic book. We used this competency for Milestone 4 which was the storyboard. With the help of my story spine, I started off on the story board. Since this project is half humanities and half science, the storyboard had to incorporate both. This aspect was difficult, but after finding a way to blend the two while keeping a strong plot, constructing the rest of the story was much easier. Keeping the competency in mind, I showed how the cells and the Leprosy bacteria interact using scientific language.
Evaluating:
Demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of evidence:
This competency was when everything came together. All of the previous weeks of hard work researching and making drafts were finally going to be put to the test in our final comic book. With the story board beside me and the app, Comic Life open, it was time to start creating. To complete the science part of the comic book, I started with the text. In the storyboard, my drawings were very rough, but the speech bubbles and narrative pieces were mostly final. That made creating the comic book much easier to complete. Due to the fact that the Leprosy disease takes over ten years to develop, my story took place ten yers after my explorer contracted the disease. During the creation of the comic book, I found the drawing aspect to be most time consuming for both sides of the story. I tried to make the drawings as detailed as possible which made it much more difficult to complete the number of panels that I had planned.
The name of the project being “Argh Matey” has to do with the time period it takes place. The 1400s up to the 1600s were considered the Golden Age, or The Age of Exploration. Some of the world’s most significant events happened in that time period, including: the discovery of the Americas, the discovery of Africa and Asia, and the first circumnavigation of the the world. Some horrible historic events also happened during this timeline, like slavery or how poorly the natives of the land were treated by the colonists.  In the humanities aspect of this project, we dove into the world of Europe during The Age of Exploration. We learned about some of the main explores who lived during that time period and what they did to become historically significant to this day.
Many attributes make something significant. It could be significant to you personally, or it could something that is historically significant. When determining historical significance, its important to think like historians. It is helpful to question if the person, event, or object you are studying achieved the following things:
• led to long-lasting change
• impacted many people
• had a profound or deep impact on people’s lives
• was revealing or symbolic of greater historical trends
My comic book told the story of Sir Walter Raleigh and his two failed expeditions to the New World. I showed how he and his expedition showed historic significance and how the Leprosy disease followed him to his early death. I thought that it was interesting that even though he led two unsuccessful voyages, he impacted and influenced many explores after his death. As I mentioned in the Scimatics section, I found the drawings aspect to be the most time consuming and difficult. Although, by the end, I found that I could copy some drawings to speed up the process.
Although, It was very challenging to finish the comic book, I am very satisfied with my final result. With all the time and effort put into it, I feel that I have successfully created a story that answers the driving questions. Reflecting on the entire project and the fact that I did it all from home, makes me feel very proud.  With as much as I learned about both topics, I would say that the struggle to finish the final comic book was worth it. I hope you enjoyed The Search For El’Dorado and learned a few things along the way. Make sure to comment any thought or questions about this post.

A Virtual DI Experience

Destination Imagination 2020 has come to an end, not the first but second time. The news came out that provincials was canceled due to Covid 19 nearly at the start of our spring break. I was disappointed that we would not be able to show our improvements at the provincial DI tournament. After brainstorming and working harder than ever before to better our solution only to find out that there would be no chance to show it, I was a bit discouraged. But there was still hope!

In PLP, everyone in our class has a device which grants us the power of the internet. There was still a way to present! Since all schools are closed and we are required to social distance the option of presenting just to teachers was not possible. And there was now way to record as a group, but with some flexibility and a lot of creativity there was still one more option. An app called Zoom allows you to video call with multiple people on one screen. The plan was that we would still present our solution as a group but it would be online.

I originally thought that there would be many problems with this idea such as materials, props, and anything we needed access to out of our houses. This would be difficult since our group’s biggest improvements were in the things listed above. Although, we all new that we were going to have to tackle this challenge with a growth mindset and be creative.

We started off by brainstorming what changes we originally made from regionals to provincials to get a sense of what we were going to have to change. Since it was all online, we had to schedule two meeting times before we presented. Taking the Competency into hand, we took a different perspective on how we would present our solution which would help us better understand the process. Knowing that we had to eliminate the idea of having props, we decided to use technology and Zoom to our advantage.

Due to our setting being the BC rainforest, we used the virtual background/green screen mode in the app to portray the habitat and the habitat morph. Except for the images cutting us off, the technique ended up to work extremely well in our performance. Since our performance began with a zoo escape to the  forest, our opening image shows the forests of BC. This helped make our group seem together and more like we were performing in one space. After the zoo escape and after we scavenged around the new environment, our background changed to the sun setting over the trees. After that, the background switched back to day time one, end then back to the sunset once more. Finally, the background switches back to daytime in the forest.

These background  images were a crucial part in the story element of our solution. Because of our presentation being online, we had to edit our original story quite a lot. Since our story was said to be hard to follow in the regional tournament, we were originally going to make the morphs of the animal and habitat more specific and easy to follow with narration. We ended up changing not only the content in the story element, but the length of the actual performance.

After along couple of days digitally-rehearsing and a few last minute changes to the solution, our time had come to present. Going into the performance I knew that we had improved our solution Juristically but after we had finished I felt glad that we presented. Once it was all done, I Took a moment to reflect on our performance and the circumstances we were in. Although we couldn’t show the appraiser our improved solution, it was still felt good to show how hard we worked as a team. Although I am exited for our next DI experience,  I’m sure that I will never forget our 2020 Destination Imagination. Make sure to comment any questions you may have on this post below.

A Tournament To Remember

Finally! After weeks of hard work and some sacrificing of after school hours, the Destination Imagination regionals tournament has arrived and passed. I could write a whole post about what DI is but to make it easier for you just click right here to learn all about it. For this project our driving question and cor competency was How might I research and understand a problem, process, or challenge using different perspectives? At the beginning of our month long journey, I new very little about destination Imagination and what we were going to be doing. Although I had a advantage of having and older Brother in PLP, I had only heard his opinion and what he did. That being the case I began with a bit of a fixed mindset.
Going into the challenge, I had some catching up to do. Since the explanation of what DI was and why we participated in the challenge was on the day we got back from winter break and our family vacation, I had to spend a few classes reading about the tournament and so I could understand what we were doing. As a group of five, Liam, Nathan, Julien, Raymond and I worked together to solve the challenge given by the scientific category. Much needed to be done before we could present and lucky we had more than a month to do so.

The challenge process was split into four stages that we had to get through before the day of the tournament and one after the tournament.
Stage one was recognize. 
This is where you become aware of the challenge and gain an in-depth understanding of the challenge.
For this stage our group brainstormed ideas for what we would present. Our challenge consists of 6 elements that made the challenge unique. I found that I demonstrated a great understanding of the “research”  aspect of the DQ in this stage. I read the challenge outline, what was required and not allowed for our , and even the scorning to gain a different and better perspective on the task layer out for us.
Stage 2 is all about generating ideas, focusing on promising ideas, and creating a project timeline.
With our the knowledge of what the challenge was and some possible ideas to support our solution, we needed to plan out how things were going to be done. This stage took a majority of our time due to the importance it had. In this stage we made a detailed plan on what and how we were going to present for our solution. We struggled on finding our two team choice elements for the challenge but after brainstorming  everybodys talents and/or interests we decided to make a song using  our own ukuleles as well as a couple of digital songs made by Raymond.  After generating ideas and narrowing them down to a clear process, it was time to present our ideas for critiques, which in this case was our teachers. After a many FAILS we had a solid plan.
Monkeys enter B.C. Rainforest after zoo escape (greater Vancouver zoo) Monkeys find this new environment is very different from their own Monkeys taste leaves, and spit them out Monkeys sleep, and shiver in bush Morphs to claws and thick fur Monkeys deprive natural resources Eat everything in sight Trees rot and decompose Some trees still barely standing Monkeys challenged by bear Main monkey tries to slash bear with claws Main monkey gets injured Secondary Monkeys flee Main Monkey try to climb tree to get away Tree breaks (robo arm pushes over tree) Bear battles monkey Secondary monkeys come in to help Bear gets injured Bear flees Monkeys are now very feared hunters, and can’t live in B.C forest anymore

Stage three: initiate and collaborate

Stage 3 is when you research, explore, experiment, and then commit to your options. You will also build and complete all the requirements.

In this stage our main focus was mking sure that we were 100% ready for the building process.  From creating a plan “B” or an alternate plan if something goes wrong to re-reading every aspect of our challenge to even watching videos on challenges before us. During this stage we made sure all the materials needed for the building process were available. We also plotted out what we would accomplish every class and the days we would work after school. This stage took a lot of work but in the end we were all glad we put in the effort.   

Stage four: Assess

Stage 4 is about assessing your progress. This will inevitably lead to reworking or reimagining ideas. At the same time, you will be practicing your presentation of the solution.

Its been a long few weeks planning our performance and now its finally time to create. I wondered why it took three stages before we could start building and testing our solution.  Although, when I realized how much we would’ve done the challenge wrong with out reading the rules  our the challenge outline I understood why we spent so much time on the past three stages. It took many long days with countless hours of hard work to complete this stage and even with the time we ha we barely met our deadline. By the end we had completed everything that that we would use for our solution with a week left to rehearse. 

Stage five: Evaluate and Celebrate

Stage 5 is about presenting at a tournament and then reflecting and celebrating the experience.

For this stage we reflected on the tournament and brainstormed what we need to do differently for provincials. To better our solution we have to re-design and build our props. We also have to construct a better story line that will make sure the audience follows what’s happening throughout our performance. In order to do that we will need to follow a schedule after and in school. In school the order we will do the tasks will be: trees then cave/bush then working on theatre in the round, after that we will make better and more realistic looking monkey costumes, then we could better our hydraulic arm by painting it and making a stand for it to rest on, finally we will work together to make the story element more significant. After the break we will rehearse for the remainder of the classes.

Throughout the course of the month long project I have grew not only to be better learner or creates but a a better person all together. I have improved my skills on collaborating, working well with a group, thinking outside of the box, and finding a solution to a problem. I am exited to present at provincial and show our improved solution. Make sure to comment any questions on this post below.

Change, Change, and More Change.

One month ago today we began our fourth humanities project this year. For this project we incorporated two focuses that shared a comm0n trait. Change. One of the two factors of this project was the renaissance which might have held the biggest change Europe had faced. The other factor was our transition from grade 7 (Elementary school) to grade 8 (high school) which was when we faced change in our own life. Although our transition was not as historic as the renaissance, both of these changes impacted our our lives.                      whether it be dramatic or smaller day to day things.

Whether you want to realize it or not, shifting from Elementary School to High school, may be one of the toughest transitions you have experienced so far in your life. It will also be a defining moment in your life! By making connections between who and what has impacted you the most this year, you can better prepare yourself for other shifts that will happen in your life! By applying this knowledge to different time in history as well, we can understand the evolution of Worldviews of ourselves and other throughout time and history. We will also focus on the competencies to create a creative representation of who and what impacted this change in your life, and the consequence (both positive and negative) of those changes.

-Ms. Maxwell 

This unit was led with the driving question: Who or what has challenged your worldview in the transition from elementary school to high school? Although it really only applied for the gr.7-gr.8 transition aspect of the project, it shared some common traits such as cause and consequence which was a main focus in this project. The competencies that were used in this project were the “Create” competency and the “cause and consequence” competency.

Create
: What literacy skills am I using to write, speak, and represent in the texts I create?

This competency was all about the making or writing aspect of the project. One of the two parts to this project was the song that we made. Pretty cool right? We wrote and sang a song all about what has changed from elementary school to high school and how it changed or altered our worldview. I found I thrived during this part of the project and found the brainstorming as well as the lyric formation to flow smoothly. After forming my lyrics to the R.E.M song “Its The End Of the World As I know It” or in this case “Its The End Of My World As I Know It”,  found my self to be much closer to answering the driving question. We then sang and recorded the song using Garage Band.  I found that I struggled with this part of the process. Coming into it I thought that I could record my song in one take and that it would take very little time. I  ended up to to be wrong and due to my misjudgment I had a very late night. After that experience then knew for our group song that we would need to leave plenty of time record and edit.

Cause and Consequence: Who or what influenced events to occur and what were the consequences of those events?
Although this competency was a main part of both aspect of the project, the consequences of the renaissance effects life even today. For this competency we learned all about the renaissance and why it was a such a significant time in history. We learned all about renaissance men and how the scientific revolution was a breakthrough in science history. We learned what humanism was and how it effected art work and the way people saw life, and we even learned what sparked and ended the renaissance itself. For this area of the project we completed many small pieces of work for each area of the renaissance and one final piece that helped us reflect on or learning. Our final product was a Milestone called Cause and Consequence of the Renaissance. For this milestone we chose an aspect of the renaissance that showed a consequence of that time. We then wrote how it still efffects us today and what caused it in the first place. I chose the scientific revolution and more specifically, the scientific method and the impacts it had.  I thought I understood this competency to the extending level due to my thought and work towards this area of the project. In both the song and the renaissance I showed exemplary work.
over the course of this project I have gradually curated an answer to our driving quest. So many things have changed in the past school year and the transition has been quite the roller coaster. From new opportunities, to having a longer commute to school every day, my worldview has changed and been challenged from the dramatic transition from grade 7 to grade 8. Make sure to comment any questions on this post below.

The Ultimate Design Challenge

A dream come true I would say. Being able 3D print an object of your choice that you get to make all by yourself was terrific.  Just the feeling of working incredibly hard on designing an object and knowing that you’ll be able to have a physical replica of it is pretty cool. Having access to the i-pad allowed us to design, mesure and print our 3D object. Although, before we did any of that proccess we needed to do quite a bit of learning. Since our math unit is all about learning how to mesure surface area and volume of 3D shapes, a few weeks of this project was spent doing work books that would help us for our final product.

Finally, after our brains could take in no more formulas and equations, it was Time to start to. Think about what we would make. After thinking for a while I remembered how I had always wanted to 3D print a surfboard fin that I could use on one of my own boards. Although, after being put into a group which Quinn who waned to make skies, I had to compromise and collaborate with him. We decided to make not just fins for a surfboard but an entire surfboard all together. Although this would be hard we agreed that we were up for the challenge.

Competency’s:

Competency Being Assessed: 
  • Communicating and Representing: Explain and justify mathematical ideas and decisions.

I thought that I covered and even extended my knowledge on this competency with my milestone 1. Like I said above I strived to challenge myself by choosing a complex and difficult-to-mesure shape that would challenge Me but would, end up with a more satisfactory result.

Competency Being Assessed:
Reasoning and Analyzing: Model mathematics in contextualized experiences.

For this competency we we made formulas for the  shapes we chose for our surfboard and calculated the surface area and volume of each shape. Going into these milestones I still didn’t fully understand the formulas and how to calculate the volume and surface area of the shapes. I only had some scattered memory’s on this math from previous years were we may have spent one or two weeks on this topic. Although after some nights and classes of study and trying my hardest to understand the concepts it finally seemed to click which made the rest of the project much easier.

Competency Being Assessed: 
  • Applying and innovating:  Contribute to care for self, others, community, and world through personal or collaborative approaches.

This competency was when it all came together. After a full month of designing and measuring our surfboard it was time to print. Over the course of the project I learned a lot and crossed many obstacles bu there was nothing as releasing as printing our final product. Since one of the surfboards was nearly impossible to mesure we had to make another that was made up of more simple shapes but may have no looked as much like a real life surfboard. Out of all of the competencies used in this project, I would say that I  covered the Applying and innovative one most thoroughly. Once the board was 3D printed and all calculations were completely finished, we needed to present all of the work we had done along the way. We presented using an app called keynote which we put all of the work and what we did to reach our final product.

Overall, I enjoyed the entire project and presenting what we created To the class. I learned more about a subject than I thought was possible and ended up with and amazing mini-surfboard that I will keep for a long time.  Although we faced many challenges through the the process, as a team Quinn and I overcame the obstacles and came away with an incredible end result. Make sure to comment any questions yaourt may have down below.