The Ology of Apology 📚❤️‍🩹

When you take a step back, and look peer into our world’s past, you’d probably think that our people are pretty messed up. I mean c’mon , we don’t really have the cleanest record. Im sure for you it seems as though nothing could ever be done to make up for the horrors done. For many just the thought of our past wrongs makes them shy away from the page. History does not lead us to believe we are good, yet, we still manage to advance and grow through life. As humans that is pretty much our defining feature. Beside for the whole smartest beings on the planet thing, humans always have a way of adapting. This includes the fact that we live in almost every corner of this world, but also our problem solving qualities. We are constantly finding solutions, constantly looking for that better way to do things, and failures and countless mistakes, we are able to grow our understandings to overcome and resolve the these conflicts in our way. Besides for some of the problems we have caused such as climate change, not only our resilience but our constant adaption has allowed us to resolve issues in our society and conflicts between people. As long as our faults such as fear or greed don’t fog our minds, we as a people are able to find our way to resolution through the largest of mazes.

In this past project we have discovered how humans are able to move on from history’s darkest of times and what it takes to heal wounds that had been cut deep in our past.  In The Ology of Apology project, we discovered the importance of apology and remembrance when solving resolving past wrongs. We also discovered how we as a people have been able to move on and grow without forgetting our past.

As I mentioned in my previous post, history will repeat itself when we don’t learn from our past actions. The question we were asked to answer by the end of this project highlighted that point as well as ways we as a people can make past wrongs, right. “How can we create a public memory of past wrongs so they are not repeated today?” Was the Driving Question of our learning this project.

Source: Brian Hughs

We erect monuments so that we shall always remember—and build memorials so that we shall never forget.
— Arthur Danto, art critic and philosopher

Why do we build monuments and memorials? Put simply, they are a way of creating and maintaining a public memory.

Monuments and memorials are often built to celebrate great moments in history, accomplishments, and in commemoration of great leaders. They can also be used to focus attention on moments from the past that deserve attention (not celebration). 

Every society has actions and events from the past that today they view differently—however, not every society chooses to memorialize these transgressions. Not every society want to keep uncomfortable memories alive. Bryan Stevenson, Director of the Equal Justice Initiative in Montgomery, Alabama, has argued that ongoing history of racial injustice in the United States could best be addressed by the building of more memorials. He suggests that memorials "tell the full story… creating space—both physically and in our national dialog—to confront our nation's history of racial inequality and economic injustice".

Defining Memorialization
Memorialization can take a wide variety of forms—from formal museums and monuments that evolve over years and cost millions of dollars to ephemeral collections of condolence notes, flowers, and pictures of victims at sites where they died or vanished.

No matter the scale or cost, they serve the same purposes:
  • Truth-telling or documenting specific human rights violations 
  • Creating a specific place for the immediate family and/or the larger society to mourn victims 
  • Offering symbolic reparations to honour the victims of violence and reinstate their reputations
  • Symbolizing a community’s or nation’s commitment to values such as democracy and human rights
  • Promoting reconciliation by recasting the national identity or repairing damaged relations among groups
  • Encouraging civic engagement and education programs to engage the wider community in a dialogue about the past and promote discussions of a peaceful future based on coexistence
  • Advancing educational purposes, including the retelling of history for future generations
  • Facilitating historic preservation of a specific era in a country’s or community’s history 

As I reflect on this past project, I realize not only how much I Learned, but how much I am able to remember. I know your probably thinking that learning and remembering are the same thing, but there really not. I can say that I have learned a lot since grade 1 of elemtary school, but if you asked me how much I remember, not nearly as much would reach my lips. The knowledge is still implanted in my brain, but its not memorable enough to rise to my thoughts. This project was different. With the help of Craft and its linking and note taking capabilities, as well as some help from our pervious Zettlekasten inquiries, I was able to construct and connect my knowledge as well as opinions I had on each topic.

To me, this idea of a second brain originally seemed to be un-attainable, but after putting as much effort to water  my web of thoughts as I did, I am able to leave this project with ideas that I have formed that will carry throughout my leaning endeavours. I can credit my effort during our winter exhibition to these connections and ideas I made.

As I said earlier, this project covered the idea of making past wrongs, right, but the question we were asked mentioned the idea of a public memory. Where do those two meet? Well… they actually usually go hand in hand. If you think about our history and the major events in it, what do almost all of them have in common?…well, Some sort of memorial or monument. It’s true that not all memorials aren’t for something bad, but when you think of any major event in the past and what it caused, the only true way you can repay the effected individuals is by stating their importance in our history. Monuments and memorials play a pivotal role in creating that public memory so these moments in history wont be forgot as the future unrolls.

Learning about past wrongs will not only teach people on cause and consequence, but also on patterns so we can make sure we don’t repeat events, long before they come.

This project kept that idea in mind and focused our interest to the city we live in: Vancouver. For being a young city, our history runs deeper than the marina trench and the patterns that we can find in our past, actually relates to most of our world around us.  Learning about Vancouver’s history has actually been a top interest of mine ever since our Canadian history project last year, and having the opportunity to venture into the streets and actually learn about the events where they happened, was extremely exiting and empowering.

The three case studies we covered were: Japanese Internment during WWII, Chinese exclusion, and The Komagata Maru incident of 1914. For each of these topics we went on a field study to the location each was connected to.

https://cliply.co/clip/school-bus/

After gaining basic knowledge in the classroom, we set off on each of the trips where we would discover new, eye opening ideas as well as receive thorough answers to any questions we had which was unlike anything we could have gotten from a text book. I can reflect on those trips and acknowledge the importance each one played in changing my worldview to understand my role in these kind of events. We learned about what it took to make up for the 3 unjustifiable events, and how each apology made, effected the city we know today.

Reflecting on the trips, I understand that the connection between them all was how fear not only of the “other” but the “other” taking your livelihood,  influenced all of the case studies. After gaining the knowledge of these events, I found it very interesting how events so large in some lives can be so little in others, even though they live in the same area. This comments on the idea of informing the public or making that public memory. 

Like many living in Vancouver, I immigrated from somewhere else and arrived in this city for a purpose. Whether that purpose be as somthing as little as my parent moving for work, or somthing as large as a better life with livable pay, all immigrants share a desire for opportunity. Although, when you think about immigration in the 19th century, you dont think about the fact that those immigrants were some of the first in western Canada. South Asian, Chinese,  and white settlers all were arriving near the same time, yet, the non white Canadians, weren’t event thought as Canadian. Now, immigration is almost welcomed in Canada from almost anywhere in the world. So what changed? As a PLP 10 class, we learned the answer to that question, and more questions I had formed since I moved here all those years ago.

Being together as class as we immersed ourselves in the knowledge our leaders had to offer was very special. It had been about 3 years since our last field study and the experiences as well as the shared interest of my peers made learning so much more interesting and memorable. We had all visited the locations many times before but it was incredible to learn the significance and meaning these places held, some knowledge I may never have discovered otherwise. The immersive learning allowed me to find answers to the many questions I had posed about Vancouver’s history, as well as share my knowledge with my family who also may have never known of this un-seen past. These trips made me realize that one event’s impact never truly ends until it it is forgotten. As I stood in the streets of China Town, or soaked my shoes in the puddles of Hastings Park, I realized that me being there was also a result of the event or time period. I share my experience to my family, or to the readers of this post, who may visit the cites someday, and they would share their experiences with more people. I think that’s what’s so special about being “there” instead of just reading about “there” in a book: It’s  the personal connection to the event and the relization of your role in history as well as the future.

These trips were also where my Zettlekasten was loaded with ideas. Visiting the cites where the events took place allowed my constant thinking to form into meaningful perspectives and connections. I didn’t always have the clearest of ideas, but I always wrote them down, hoping to look back and remember the experience and what it meant to me and my learning.

Although the trips were all eye opening experiences, it was the bus rides after that really changed the outcome of my learning. I knew that it was only a matter of time before the newfound-knowledge of the tour or museum panels would soon fade, so I decided to record every fact or thought I obtained as soon as I got into the bus. Later, with my bullet points of knowledge, I would piece them together into a literature note and with that literature note, I would form my own thoughts and views on the subjects in the form of a permanent note. I found that doing that extra work, freed me for the future to focus on constructing those deep thoughts, not just on the field studies, but on the philosophies towards my own worldview.

I can carry these thoughts to future learning as well as through life’s endeavours. In this project I felt that these trips were when I was able to become more understanding of the hardships of the different people. I believe it is almost impossible to fully understand the individual effects of past wrongs through text on a page, but when you are able to be where in the location it occurred, you can use your imagination to feel as though you were there when it happened which forms emotional and experiential ties that provide a respect and deeper acknowledgement of the time period or event.

My goal for Zettlekasten is to be able to form new thoughts from previous knowledge after each project. I hope to be able to use these thoughts to understand the world and how I can impact it for good. With this I can discover solutions for the problems that are all around us and become an educated person who can influence my community. Although I have already learned so much this year, I feel confident that with the connections I will make, I will be able to achieve deep and meaningful work throughout my learning journey.

The final product was going to have to answer the driving question for this project that I mentioned before: “How can we create a public memory of past wrongs so they are not repeated today?” Using all of the knowledge we had about the importance of a public memory and what make a meaningful memorial, we were asked to brainstorm, design, model, and present an idea for a memorial on one of the three events we learned about. The class was split into tree case studies, 6 people for each one, split into two groups of 3. The two groups for each case study would each make a different memorial that we would present on the night of the exhibition. My group, Jordan, Ethan, and I were given the Komagata Maru incident to memorialize.

Thinking about it now, I didn’t realize how much knowledge I had not just on the Komagata Maru but creating a public memory as well. I didn’t think about the connections I made and the progression of my thoughts throughout the project until my group member, Jordan sparked a flame of ideas that didn’t burn out until the exhibition concluded. The idea of a anchor to represent the ship was genius, and after I referenced my notes and thoughts, the past couple months of learning broke through and was rushing into our ideas.

It was really interesting to see how much thoughts can change. Just at he start of the project, the DQ seemed like a question for a history prof, but as time when on, and I challenged myself to think critically and constantly about our learning, I was able to have the answer right in front of me in my notes.

“How can we create a public memory of past wrongs so they are not repeated today?”

we can create a public memory of past wrongs so they are not repeated today by creating a intriguing and unique memorial that connects, and informs the viewer on the event as well as empowers them to share or take action on whatever is being memorialized. 

When creating the memorial, I incorporated ideals that had formed throught the course of the project. During the Komagata Maru museum and the Punjabi Market tour, the idea of memorializing a personal and individual connection,  rather than just a number, stuck true to me and would be an idea I would carry to our final product. Later during the China Town visits I relized the importance of the location of the memorial, not only to form a connection to the event, but to form a connection to the community effected by the event being memorialized. During the China Town visits, I also noticed the importance of size for the memorial. During our learning of Japanese internment during WWII I discovered the importance of text and how to compose the text for the memorial. The visit to the Japanese internment museum (which was made possible be the redress settlement) sparked the idea of connection to the effected community as well as seen in the ashai exhibit. Considering the memorials I saw on the field studies and in other research, I thought about how I could better memorialize an event than the memorials I saw. There was two ideas that I felt prevalent. I decided that each memorial should not only include the ideas listed above, but also tell a story and acknowledge the events that lead up to the event being memorialized.

We incorporated all of these factors into our memorial, which is probably the main reason I am so connected to the final product. Although there were many long hours of designing and plenty of failed attempts on building the model, the end result was something that I felt conveyed our shared thinking and will always feel proud of. Not just because it took long to make, but because of the weeks of learning and working relentlessly to make meaningful observations and ideas, and being able to use all that I learned and incorporate it into one little model of an anchor. Even though you cant really see it in this post, I have realized, that the true skill is not to talk for 20 minutes about one thing, but to be able to talk for half the time and share the same amount of information, because, that’s when you know that you truly understand that what your talking about. I felt I was able to show this later in the exhibition when we presented our memorial.

I guess you dont really know how much you know untill your asked to talk about it, but during the exhibition and even now, as I write this, I am really able to see how much I actually learned. At the night of the exhibition, with my models that I spent almost all of my weekend creating, my architectural draft that used skills I learned in a engineering course I had taken earlier, and our cardboard and clay model, that Jordan had worked on endlessly in classes prior, I was ready to present what our memorial.

Even from the start of the exhibition process, where we were given our topics to memorialize, I was confident. I knew I had done enough learning and I had obtained enough knowledge on what makes a good memorial, and no matter the subject, I knew I was ready. All of the factors I covered above, could have been used in any of the events, and although some felt upset that they didn’t get the event they wanted, I knew that no matter what, I would be happy with my end result. That feeling of confidence is rare in PLP but when it does come, you know you deserved it. I think that’s why being interested and respectful to early learning is so important and that fact actually could be highlighted by teachers to make future work more meaningful. As I realized in this project and others before, sometimes time to think or organize is more important than extensive homework.

at the night of the exhibition everything came together, not out of luck but pure sweat and fears… I mean tears. Without rehearsal or even a script, I was able to tell the story of the Komagata Maru and how we, 10th grade students, created a public memory of an event that can connect to others forever. It’s pretty Incredible how much you can do if you can find that deeper meaning or purpose. That’s for anything, because it’s the ones that see value in simple exercises when others don’t that become great.

Thank you for reading this novel of a post, but I hope you leaned a thing or two, and maybe something that you can share with others, just as I am doing now. Make sure to comment any questions or thoughts you have on this post.

Topic 1: The Komagata Maru Incident 1914

When thinking about history, it is crucial not only to learn about past events but to learn from them.  You’ve probably heard that phrase or something like it countless times already, but have you ever thought why it is so important? Maybe your teacher has said: “if you don’t learn from history you’ll repeat it!” Or maybe it was just something you read in a textbook, but what most people don’t realize, is how much learning about the past, truly impacts the present.

Our newest project connects why the past is important to today as well as what we can do today to make up for the past. Pretty cool huh. Just joking, you probably still don’t have a clue what I’m talking about. It’s all good though, because you still have an entire post to read, and if you still don’t understand what this kid is blabbering about, you have many more posts to understand the Ology of Apology project.

Although Canada is known today as being cultural melting pot, we weren’t always that way, and in fact, we were pretty much the opposite. Although our history is rich from coast to coast, British Columbia has gone through some of the hardest times in the country. This is also the case study of this project and happened to be an interest of mine, ever since I moved here.

When thinking about BC today and how culturally diverse it is, it makes you wonder how it’s history is as dark as it is, but there are answers to that question. In the next few weeks, we will be looking at some of our province’s worst events, and how we recovered from them to make our future better.

The Komagata Maru incident took place more than a century ago but it’s legacy is still deeply ingrained in our city and nation. As tragic as the event was, it was definitely one of the most important events in our history, and influenced the progression that makes our province the way it is today.

Since the incident took place the summer of the Great War, it had been merely ingnored for quite a while after it occurred. It wasn’t until more recently that event was acknowledged, and not until 2016 when true action was taken. For most of Canada, the event was only known by members of the Sikh community, which made up most of the passengers. It wasn’t until the apology in the House of Commons where the true significance of this event was made prevalent, and the tension began to ease.

Although most Canadians just see this as an average apology, the PM offers now and again, to the people that this incident represented, the apology impacted then much more than just a “Canadian sorry”.

The speech was significant to South Asian Canadians because it was a representation of how much the nation has changed in the past century. Although there was no material offering, the apology symbolized change and acknowledgment of the importance of South Asian immigrants to BC. Having the apology in the House of Commons showed the importance of the incident, unlike Harper’s apology in the small park. Having a thorough plan with resolution and accountability also taught other Canadians the importance of this event and what they can do to make sure something like this never happens again. This was important to the South Asian community because for the past century their importance in BC’s was not represented or acknowledged by the government that historically had treated them so poorly in earlier history.

Source

Although the Komagata Maru ship never actually boarded land, the legacy reached much farther than just the docks of the Burrard Inlet. Life for South Asian Immigrants would never be the same after the incident, but nothing stops time, and as years went by, the legacy of the ship began clearer and clearer. By today the influences of the event are seen throughout the province and are stained in the minds of the Canadians, in judgments or in fears.

The challenges the people of the Komagata Maru incident faced, influenced independence in India and strongly impacted the freedom movement in India as well. The incident also was when Indians realized the untruth of the British government in their country which caused protests in India. In Canada at the time, the incident led to a strong community of South Asian immigrants in Vancouver due to the fundraising of money to feed the passengers. Living in Vancouver there is a larger population of South Asian people. After the Komagata Maru, organizations like the Khalsa Diwan Society allowed a place for immigrants to have community and influenced larger immigration specifically to Vancouver. It’s important to acknowledge what these people have gone through to get to Canada, and why the Komagata Maru incident is a crucial learning piece to help people understand that fact. Un-educated beliefs still fill the minds of some Canadians today. Learning why the incident occurred will allow people to challenge those thoughts and avoid future occurrences like the Komagata Maru event in the future.

When thinking about how to resolve past conflicts or events, you have to decide on what needs to be done to resolve the issue and more specifically, what needs to be remembered. Sometimes when we are faced with our crooked past, the best way to resolve assumptions or un-right thoughts, is to know the full story. Although, with all that has happened in our world it’s nearly impossible to learn everything about every event. You end up having to choose what is worth remembering and what is not. You can see how one might do this in one of my past projects. Mostly we are taught the important dates, or the pivotal figures, but the true knowledge, that is crucial, is the lessons we learn or the past to present connection that the events influence. As I state in a note:

“The bigger stories are easier to recognize but it’s the individual stories that need to be taught in order to convey the true scale and significance of the event.”

It is Important for people to remember how Canadian ideals influenced the incident as well as to acknowledge our current views as well. In most memorials or museums, I find the story of the event is told, as well as why the event was important, but it is the individual story’s that strike the emotion in the viewer and are what connects them to what they are learning.

In life there is always going to be wrong actions. Whether you only realize it in the moment, or not, they’re gonna happen. But it’s not the past that determines the outcome of the event, it’s what you do to heal the future. As seen in the apology, it doesn’t always have to be a direct action, sometimes honest and meaningful words can heal much more than empty, meaningless materialistic gifts
. As I look at what I learned from this incident and how it resolves, I feel ever closer to answering the question that will guide me to better understanding the world as well as what makes history, tell the story of the present.

As I leave this incident, and unravel the antique tangled, dusty string of British Columbia’s hidden past, I can feel exited to make my way through constant discovery… and hopefully you are too.

I think we did better…

Thoughts can be interesting: They can break you down, they can build you back up, they can lead you to epiphanies, or they can lead you to inner destruction. thoughts are what makes humans so unique and innovative, but they are also what causes us to cause horrors such as war or terrorism. Our history has been made with thoughts and our future will be too.

In a time like the present, it feels it is sometimes impossible to get away from thoughts. Thoughts of worry, hope, fear, and pride are all thoughts that our world has experienced the last few years, and weather we like it or not, they have been what has brought us to the place we are at this very moment.

When I think back on these past few, memorable years, I myself can think of countless times I have had found myself stuck in thought, but when I think about the results of most of those thoughts, I can realize how important they really were for me.
For the past while like many, I have been feeling quite upset with the politics of this world.
Our first project of the 2021/22 school year allowed me to use the thoughts and beliefs I had towards that subject and bring them to fruition.

Have you ever looked at the government and thought: I could do better! Well, here is your chance. Over the next few weeks, you will be studying the intricacies of the Canadian political system, understand the depths of political ideologies, and finally, learning how to use your language to shape ideas and influence others, all so that you can take your chance at a government takeover! In small groups, you will be conceiving your own new Canadian political party and producing a campaign video and press release to announce it. Your goal is no less than to take on the world!

The “Think You Can Do Better?” Project was lead by the Driving Question: How should We govern Ourselves?

Coming to the answer of this question was no easy feat. Like most projects, it took many assignments to find it, but looking back, it wasn’t as much what we were given that made my answer, it was actually what I took. My final answer to this question in words is: we should govern ourselves by supporting everyone’s beliefs so we can work on problems in unison, but the true answer will be found in the process it took to get there.

The first piece of work that was key in this learning  journey was the notes about Canadian government. These notes on different videos, allowed me to gain the knowledge that I needed in order to form my ideas and views towards Canada’s political system. With the freshly learned, Zettlekasten System, I was able to extract and refine those notes time and time again to form different ideals the helped form the basis of my success towards this project.

Proportional Representation
The political Spectrum

As you can see in my notes above, there are all linked which is the main point of the system. These connections  were used throughout all my work on this unit and was the main reason I was able work and think at a high level in this project.  For this assignment we were asked to make a literature note on each topic of Canadian Government, with our fleeting notes to back them up. Not really knowing that we were limited to one, I ended up making multiple on each source, leading to too much information on the page. Although at the time I didn’t understand the purpose of just one, as I look back, I can realize how one meaningful note can help give you the most out of the completed research.

During this section of the project, the snap Election that the Prime Minister had called was just coming to an end, and by the time we had finished learning about the different aspects of the Canadian Government, the results had already began to be announced. With the the notes I had taken on the government, as well as the other takeaways I had gathered from the previous learning, I began the process of the next assignment which was the Election Reflection.

We were asked to write a post about an opinion or thought we gained on the results or makeup of the recent election.  Earlier, I researched the Green Party for a smaller assignment to give a bit of background on the different contenders for this this election. As I explained in a permanent note,

Although political parties will be put on the political spectrum, it is important to thoroughly research each party’s platform to se who best suits your interests.”

It is crucial when you aren’t sure about who your going to vote for, or even if you are sure about who you are voting for, to dig a little deeper than the media. Because if there’s one thing I thing everyone should know, it’s: the media is the message, and it influences everyone weather they like it or not.

200degrees / Pixabay

As you see in my notes about the Green Party, the main responses from both my interviewees, and my research provide evidence that people had identical priorities to the Green Party, yet the Green Party pretty much flopped on the actual election. This triggered question after question. I thought: maybe it was because there wasn’t proportional representation, or maybe people didn’t like the leader, or maybe they just didn’t know enough about them?  This topic hit hard, and shattered my idea of homework. Like I said in the post, I went home that night and didn’t leave safari until I could answer that question… except for a couple snack breaks. Until that night I can’t recall ever going home, eager and exited, to do homework. Although It wasn’t easy, I feel the reason I invested so much time into this one assignment, wasn’t even cause I wanted to do well, but it was because I felt I was doing something meaningful, something change provoking. I felt like the more answers I had to these questions, the thoughts of worry that would sometimes enter into my mind would be met with knowledge and ideas. This also led to some very thoughtful points not only in my Zettlekasten but online on the blog post as well.

When I finished the blogpost, I decided I would give myself some time to thoroughly reflect on the takeaways of what I learned. I chose, edited, and refined my points into permanent notes that I used throughout the project and all the way to my answer to the driving question.

The end goal of the project was to make and campaign a Political Party, so after we were assigned group members, who placed themselves similarly on the political spectrum, we began building our political party. Using the research and conclusions I made from the past post, I was able to come up with the main values of our party and how we could achieve and solve problems. Although I talk about how much the Election Reflection post had helped me in this area of the project, I didn’t mention how it allowed me to take lead and create almost all of the documents and material needed to present our party. By doing the extra work on the last assignment, it allowed me to take what I learned from the past assignment and use it in forming the beliefs and priorities of our group.

This approach is something that I will carry on to future work. I relized that sometimes, and not always, but sometimes, committing to that extra work early on, can set you up to not only complete assignments faster, but to make them more meaningful and helpful later on… kinda like a cycle.

Coming back to the driving question, the press release post was when I really began to formulate the answer. Taking what I learned about government structure, what influences the people, and why in a time like this, the Green Party didn’t get elected, I was able to come up with the idea of unification with everyone.  Unlike other governments, it wasn’t just an idea, it was a foundation.

I don’t know about my other classmates, but Looking back, I thought that this project was not only important but incredibly interesting and exiting. Thinking as if you are trying to lead a nation, something that seems so far out of reach, and then going through the motions to get there, felt pretty meaningful, and something that I didn’t take for granted. Because who knows… maybe someday I will try for Prime Minister, and every thing I need, will be waiting.

Press Release 🗣🌎

Hello and Welcome.

This post is going to be quite a bit different than past ones so brace yourself… or don’t. Its gonna be short but plenty sweet, and you will have a thorough understanding of exactly what I am trying to convey by the end.

After discovering and researching some flaws in current politics, our PLP 10 class was split into groups to form a political party different from all others.  Using my previous post, and all I gathered from it, I brainstormed critiques, questions, and ideas about how to make our political party stand out.

For this post we were asked to answer a series of questions that would help us answer the driving question for this milestone:

Why should people vote for you?

After brainstorming I decided that the best way to answer this question while giving the most info, was to make a good old list. I will go more into detail on certain points although, as a reader, the best way to convey my answers is to give them to you strait and with little dots beside them.

The first question we were asked to help get a better understanding of our party, was actually quite difficult. The question: what makes your party unique? Ended up leaving me and my group members quite stumped. We had so many ideas, but almost none of them were really that different than already-existing party’s ideals. We all valued left and progressive views but we really weren’t much different that the current Green Party of Canada, or the National Democratic Party. This question took a lot more thought and research, but after really thinking outside of the box, we were were able to dig up some points that have never been used in previous governments. This was exiting because it was then when I realized how important doing that extra bit of research is, and how much it can make future work easier. I also was able to appreciate the Zettlekasten system and that with it,  I was able to connect observations or opinions to make new and better ideas.

A while back I had come up with the idea of what I thought was a “cool” political party name. The United Party of Canada.  Although, back then that’s really all the thought I gave: A cool name. Flash forward a few weeks, we were well into our Think You Can Do Better? project and that’s exactly what we needed. I quickly pitched the name and my group within minutes agreed. The only problem was, it was just an empty name. I quickly got to thinking because I knew that there had to be something that could go along with it.  And then, almost as if someone shot the idea into my head, I relized exactly what it would be. Although we have much more progressive/left views on the political spectrum, I know that in order to have a working government, there needs to be unification. From there on that was our theme: How could we keep our core values, while providing a little for everyone. This was also the main factor that makes our party unique. Unification of all people, no mater your background, you economic standings, or even your political ideologies. We just want to create a party that would make Canada the best it could be. Finally, I made my list. This list has in depth ideas on how we, as a party are unique and different. Although we are constantly revising our plans, here is what we think will answer the original question above.

In the past, political parities are usually running for a certain crowd, only trying to pull a small number of voters from other parties. Once a political party ends up getting elected, sometimes more than half the population complains and waits un-patiently for the next chance to vote for their leader.

+ Our party plans to unite every body, no mater where they are on in the political spectrum, and solve problems as a nation.

+ This calls for much more citizen involvement as well as government support

+ We believe that if everyone’s basic needs are met we can progress as a nation together

+ Unlike other parties, we believe that there is no need for proving ourselves better by promises or putting others down and feel that with a concrete step by step plan on how we will solve each problem with strict set of core values to guide us to our answers, we are going to bring the nation to a better place in the future

+ We ask for constant direct democracy to allow all Canadians to have their voice heard

+ We stand for our promises and will always keep them at the forefront until they are met

+ We value the future of our nation and we make decisions based on the lasting health and growth of our economy

+ We bring in new ideas such as a green economy and a new money distribution system to help everyone

+ We put a new image on government and how much a government can do with the population’s help

+ Although we have very progressive and Left values, we accept all views and will publicize concerns and be open on how we will solve these issues

+ We also will explain why we make every decision so citizens can understand the impacts of decisions on our future

+ We will make everyone feel they have a place in our society in not only making thier life, but the life’s of Canadians better

+ we will make sure that all Canadians can have a sense of equity without discrimination by having much more government outreach

+increase of government positions = more jobs and cheaper fees

+ make the government an ally to Canadians instead of just the ones making all of the decisions

+we will implement the proportional representation system to have a more involved population

The next question we were asked was: Why should I vote for your party?  Currently in our world we are going through a time that will be remembered forever. The past couple of years has shown us the good of the world, as well as some of our worlds darkest times, but if there’s one thing that I think everyone should take away from these times, it would be the fragility of life. I don’t just mean peoples life, but also the life on our planet. As humans, we do have an impact on our world, and withought knowing it we have been knocking our world out of balance for quite a while. It just happens that the recent years have been when the horror has been finding its when into our lives. There also is a really important lesson in these past few years. It is true that as a human race, over time, we can change history negatively, but together, we can also change our future to be very positive. As humans we have to think bigger than our lifetime and even bigger than a few generations, because the earth, well that’s been hear a lot longer than we have, and will be around a lot longer than we will. We need to think of innovation as not just something to help us now, but something to lead us further to the future and we need to realize that small actions will in fact lead to unseeable changes. As humans we have seen how much we can negatively impact our earth over time, but we also have to realize how much we can positively impact our earth as well. That’s the main Idea of our party.

When you read our statement of intent you will see that one of outer top values is the future. When we say this, we don’t just mean throughout the four years if we were elected, we mean the future of our nation as long as it stands. We know that the changes we have seen so recently in our world are only going to get worse, so that’s why we stand for the future. We can understand why certain issues are important to solve but we also know that we could very well be the way to save our future. That’s why you should vote for us. Because we know what needs to change and we know how important those changes will be.

I have also added another list of reasons you should chose us. Like the previos Green Party leader, Annamie Paul had mentioned, which I thought was a very important point: these times call for you to be bold and vote for the government that you know our country needs.

- We are understanding of all types of people

- We embrace citizens by providing accessible help

- Our plan isn’t only to strengthen our economy, but to strengthen the lives of Canadians

- We come at everything with a thought-out plan

- We embrace the voices of our population

- We know what it is going to take to do our part in the climate crisis

- We understand that times will be hard but we know that in unison, we can overcome the hardest things

- We know how important conserving our future is

- We use the brains of our nation’s best to think through solutions

- We are optimistic and we are bold but we are ready to work

Relating back to previous post on why Canadians didn’t vote for the Green Party this past election, I was able to appreciate the work I did their and how it helped me now. The final question asked that exactly. How can you relate this to your previous blogpost? The biggest influence the past post had on this one was amount of time I spent researching the Green Party. I have always felt I most related with that party, although, like most citizens my age, I really didn’t know much about them. I made the decision a little before writing that post to really dig deep on the party’s main beliefs, values and visions for Canada. As I said, they really surprised me with not only the diversity in their values, but also how much backing and depth their platform had. Then the idea for the blog post came to me. I deeply wondered: in the current state of our world, with the more and more obvious signs of the climate crisis, and with the priorities of the party, why did the Green Party get so little support? As the answers came, I relized how much of an influence my research would have on creating a party. I knew I wanted our party to be similar to the Green Party but I also knew that we would have to change a lot of things first. Ideas such as the unification aspects as well as a green economy were all influenced by the previos post. I also was able to take more specific notes from their most recent campaign, such as how to avoid infighting, and why it is important to be open with your party members. I also took note on smaller aspects such as their slogan and the message their were trying to convey. I researched how important it is to have one strong message and when your campaigning a more radical set of beliefs, how important addressing the fact that the voter will have to be bold and choose for what they feel is risky but necessary. I truly feel that with all of the knowledge I had gained from that assignment, I can truly provide important ideas that will help us make the strongest party possible.

I also created a list of all these points so as a reader you can see exactly what I took from he previous post.

+ I saw what flaws the Green Party had, and I can see what the current issues are in our current leader

+ We know that strength in our party leads us to success and constant collaboration can lead to the brightest ideas 

+ We can incorporate some of the promises and plans of the Green Party since our values are similar

+ Since the Green Party had already done research on the different issues, we can use them, and share them to the public

+ We understand what citizens need to hear and we will convey those messages in our campaign ads 

+ We will be open to all views within and outside our party

+ We don’t identify as a Green Party we identify as the party to unite

Well there you have it. I guess that ended up to be quite lengthy 😶, but you know what they say… or at least someone probably said: an important question calls for a thorough answer. I hope you will come back to read my final post on this project which will have our campaign video in it.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and as always, make sure you comment any thoughts or questions you have on this post.

Election Reflection: Why Canada didn’t GO on GREEN.

It’s not easy. Not easy to sit and wright a post about a election that stole 600 million dollars away from Canadian people, not easy to think about the current issues of the world and how currently there seems to be nothing happening about it, and definitely not easy to realize that one of the last hopes to resolve these issues, struggled to stay in the 2021 Canadian election.

Fire in bc due to heat wave this past summer

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-bc-records-hundreds-of-deaths-linked-to-record-shattering-heat-wave/

Every five years there is usually an election in Canada, and every five years people think about what problems are most dear. Sometimes its the economy, others its  the housing market, but in a year like 2021, how do we decide which problem we care to the most? To most, the election seemed like a waste of time and money, and it definitely was, but to have the chance to turn Canada in a different direction should have been much more appreciated.

If you didn’t know already, the world is in a climate crisis and, currently our world leaders really aren’t doing enough about it. In the world, there are always problems and like I said, every time there is an election, people place themselves on the political spectrum and vote for the party or leader that best represents their values.  Although some people really invest time into elections and gather as much information on each party as they can, sadly, most Canadians tend to vote for the candidate who has the best or most relatable promises in their campaign. Sometimes people just don’t know what they want in a government so they end up just voting for who everyone else is voting for, or at least who the media says everyone is voting for. This brings me to a theory I call the Sheep Dog Effect.

Throughout Canadian history, even though there are usually several parties that campaign, there has really only been two that have ever governed the nation.  Its crazy to think that parties such as the NDP, or the more recent Bloq Québécois, spend so much time and and money to campaign and share their visions, only to be met with another defeat, every-single-election. well, there is a reason they never have won. Much like a sheep dog herding sheep into a pen, polling and media will often try to predict the results of elections, unfortunately causing people to vote for the party that is most likely to win and that also shares more similar views than the other rival party. This is similar because instead of people voting for the party that they truly like, they will heard into two boxes so their vote “counts”. It was upsetting to me that this is what structured our political system, but it wouldn’t be easy to change this and it litteraly would take a nation to change.

Focusing our view onto the most recent election which was a snap election called by the current Prime Minister, this effect was more prevalent than ever. The point of the election was to gain the Liberals a majority in parliament meaning, the Liberal Party of Canada would receive 170 seats as a result of the election. Flash forward a quick month, and 600 million dollars later, we still have the same results, and a missed opportunity to put Canada in the right direction.

Like I said above, there’s a lot of issues with not just Canada, but the world in general. In a time like this, running for prime minister is much more than saying you will make the future “better”. In order to be fit for this position you have to have a more-than-concrete plan on not just what you are going to do but exactly how you are going to do it. We’ve seen in the past few years a government that didn’t take strong enough action on the issues of this period of time, partially because they did not have a majority government, but also because there was not enough backing and thought that went into the promises made. In a time like this we needed a government that had the backing and had the grit to advances us through the difficulties we are living in.

https://www.hilltimes.com/2021/08/15/millions-of-canadians-want-to-be-heard-trudeau-triggers-federal-election-sends-voters-to-polls-on-sept-20/312058

After following the campaigns of the different parties, I decided to extend my understanding by thoroughly researching the different groups that were running in this election. I decided I would start with the Green Party of Canada. Being someone from western BC, the environment makes up most of my life and my appreciation for the pure beauty of it is pretty superior. I knew the Green Party has those same values, so I decided I would begin with them. My understanding was pretty average. like most people, I thought they just cared about the environment and nothing else. I began at the municiple level, researching the candidate running in my ridding. I  soon found myself on the official Green Party website which led me to the discovery that influenced this post.

https://www.greenparty.ca/en/leader

A green future, life with dignity, and a just society are the Green Party’s three focuses. Although they sound like empty promises, when you click those three links it feels like you enter an encyclopedia of solutions. Like I said, a time like this calls for immense work and concrete solutions. I sat there reading those promises for more than an hour, dumbfounded by the attention to detail and the immense thought that went into the platform. I sat and wondered: “why?” Why dose this party have no chance, why in a time like this where climate change is almost irreversible, is this not the easy choice? For a while I felt kinda hopeless. Then I realized that there had to be answers to these questions.

I started by implying my past knowledge on how the Canadian government was structured to get a better understanding of what may influence people’s decision making.  Using the permanent notes I made on this topic, I came to the conclusion that people’s political ideologies really don’t change unless there has been something in their life to trigger it. When it comes to climate change, it isn’t prevalent in most people’s eyes. Most know its there but the common thought is: why take the risk to vote for something that is said to hurt the economy just to help something that doesn’t effect my life?  Although that is the belief for some people, a lot of Canadians know that climate change is a top priority but still don’t vote Green. In a survey I took with five different groups of people in Vancouver, Canada, all of them said that the number one priority of this next government should be the climate crisis. I’m sure most of Canada would have the same response, yet, Green only got 2 seats in this election.

Tracing back all of the steps to becoming elected, I decided to begin with the campaigning process. I quickly found that the Green Party had very little campaign ads or media presence. After digging a bit I found that there had been some sort of problem within the party itself. A few representatives had left the party to either run with the Liberals or leave the election process. This is what most Canadian’s had heard and is why the media has such a big influence in peoples lives. Even connecting back to The Media Is The Message project, it is crazy to see the role it plays in the world. The leader of the Green Party, Annamie Paul, made her biggest mistake right there. There was no clear understanding of what happened, just accusations and un-answered questions.  As a leader, I thought she was what Canada needs. Sturdy, productive, intelligent and understanding of the majority of Canadians. Her platform was bulletproof and she was running in the right time, but the flaws in her campaign are what led to her failures in the election. As a leader she could have put a stronger message of the urgency for her party in this election and she could have a bigger presence on social media. Taking in the past history of Canadian politics, she could have strengthened the message of being bold and the urgency of voting for a concrete plan instead of empty promises.

https://www.greenparty.ca

As the election came to an end, more questions arose for me, so I decide to construct one more interview with an average Canadian that would help me understand why people didn’t go for the Green Party.

Like I expected, the main reasons for him not voting for the party was the un reliability in the green party’s success. It was interesting to see that even someone with some knowledge of the Green Party platform, the idea of voting for the greens would be too much of a risk. for me that not only strikes wonder, but also sparks ideas of how Canada’s political structure influenced many Canadians like my father. Placing yourself on the political spectrum gives most people comfort and ease of choice. This allows people to not have to worry about spending time researching each party and allows them to vote for whatever party, historically, shares the same political views. When Canadians vote they not only ignore the unique political ideals of the municipal election ridings but the ideas of the federal representatives that make up the party. In Canada, we have a parlimentary democracy, meaning we have three different levels of government that take ownership of different issues. Although the provincial level of government has a say in climate in each province, it is the federal government that makes the big choices. A parlimentary democracy also means that there is very rarely just one party that makes those big decisions, in the House of Commons, which is one level below the prime minister. When you elect a representative in your riding they form a seat in legislature. When you don’t have 170/338 seats, you have a minority which means you do not have majority of the senate to meet your political views. This makes the disicion making more difficult, as seen in the past six years. That group of representatives also have a strong role in politics, which is why people are usually unhappy with the governments performance.

http://www.canadahistoryproject.ca/1791/1791-02-gov-structure.html

That really strikes the importance of reading into the parties and not just what the news is providing. I think voting for the party that YOU think is best suited to resolve the nations issues is much more important than left or right. Because sometimes the left is right and sometimes the right is right as well. It really depends on the period of time, and like I said, in time like this, some issues are just too valuable to put on hold.

To guide this post we were given the question:

how is the Canadian government structured and elected?

the response is simple and does not require any big words.

The Canadian government is technically elected through the riding and democratic system, but the most powerful influence is the image and message the candidate puts into the eyes and ears of canadaians. 

To conclude the post, I would like to recognize a recently, learned tool called the Zettlekasten system. It allowed me to gain all of this knowledge and form the views and opinions I shared in this post. Below I have attached a quick example video of how I created these and what some of them are about. Thanks for reading and please voice any opinions or questions you may have towards this topic in the comments below.

The Great War and an Even Greater Story From it.

It’s near the end of the year and our grade 9 learning adventure is almost over, but, learning takes no prisoners, and once again here I am. Another jam packed project with more growth and exploration than previous ones before.  Since the main theme of this year’s learning was Canadian history, our final destination was none other than Canada’s defying point, WWI. We also used film to guide our projects, which leads me to the driving question of this project: How might we use artifacts and film to show the significance of WWI?

Students will work individually to create a video essay about a WWI artifact and a Canadian WWI Soldier. Through determining the historical significance of WWI, students will analyze and gather evidence to tell the story of their soldier. On June 1st and 2nd, learners will host the WWI Discovery Box at the school and present to the Seycove Community. They will act as interpreters for the artifacts and have videos to bring their exhibit to life. The final videos and project reflections will also be shared with the Canadian War Museum who sends Seycove the WWI Box.

When we were first informed of the project, we were given the information that we would be assigned a significant artifact to Canada from WWI. Our teacher told us that our class was going to be given a box from The Canadian War Museum, we would have to include a soldier and our project competencies:

Establish Historical Significance: How do we make choices about what is worth remembering?

Global Collaborator: How might I use technology to connect to the world?

I wasn’t sure what was going to cross my path on the forked trail of learning, but I knew it had been a long time since the last learning adventure, so I put on my growth mindset, threw my bag full of learning tools over my shoulder, and  began my trudging through trenches of our new project.

Putting myself in the shoes of this blog’s reader, I realized that unless you remembered your grade nine social studies classes, you probably don’t know much about WWI and what it was. Since that is the case and you probably don’t want to go read an entire article on WWI and every day of it, let me just give a brief explanation of how it started and who was involved. If you already are a historian level knowledge, than you can just skip this  section.

Although the war broke out in 1914, the world had been on the brink of war for a while prior. A blend of militarism, imperialism, nationalism, and the assassination of the duke of Austria-Hungry to light the fuse, split the world in half. You probably wonder why the war didn’t just stay near Austria-Hungary, well the reason it was proclaimed a world war was from a little thing called alliances. When the war started in 1914, the war was split into two warring sides: The Triple Entente and the Triple Alliance. These six powers were all military leaders, which made this battle one of the bloodiest and un-liveable battles ever. In the war there was two main fronts, the western front, where Canada’s alliances had fought, and the eastern front which is less remembered today. Although you probably think that war is action packed and full of hero’s, WWI was almost opposite. It was said to be a war of attrition which was proven in the months of waiting, in trenches, in the elements of earth. The war was like that until 1919, when the peace treaty was signed and the war was declared over. Even though some countries seemed to have gotten worse out comes, there are no winners of war, which was clearly made prevalent in the 6 million lives lost for the historical “winners of the war”.

"The past is everything that ever happened to anyone anywhere. This is too much history to remember it all. So how do we make choices about what is worth remembering?" (HTP). By understanding the significant turning point of the First World War, we can better understand what makes Canada the nation that it is today. You will work to convince your audience that this event is significant and worth remembering. Through artifacts and objects that transport us to the past, we can humanize the events of WWI and connect the significance of this event to what it means to be Canadian.

In this project the first time we were asked to use the historical significance competency in our work was milestone one, which actually had nothing to do with WWI. We were asked to pick a symbol that makes Canada the place it is and to tell a story of why the artifact that we chose was the most significant towards Canadian identity. This was all going to be a video. I thought I was doing pretty well, I knew what I was saying, I told a good story, but at the end, I knew that it wasn’t at all the story that the assignment asked for. After the critique to show historical significance more clearly, I thought of what I learned and knew I would apply it to the next time we used this competency.

The next time this competency was used was for the research on the artifact after we had chosen one. At this point we only had access to photos of the artifacts and after walking around to look at the different options, I stumbled upon a brightly coloured flag that caught my eye. Not knowing what it was or why it was chosen for this box, I decided that this would be the one. After that, we were then assigned a worksheet to help us find the historical significance of the object we had chosen. Looking back on the project, I realized that just this small exercise had set me up to succeed throughout the rest of the project. I dug deep, used my creativity and created some really crucial points of significance that would be the foundation of my work all the way to the exhibition.

The other competency in this project was the Global Collaborator. This competency basically asks you to use technology to communicate to the world in some sort of way. I thought that I was able to excel on this competency in milestone 3 when we were asked to find and research a Canadian soldier from WWI. This was the first time that I had every really done research on an insignificant person and really used the internet to its advantage… and it was pretty awesome. I not only felt like a professional historian, but I also felt like I was discovering storyies about someone that had been were lost in time. With the help of the Canadian archives, I was able to find an in-depth  understanding of his time at war and many other facts that would help me tell his story in a much more thorough way. After hours of fascinating research on LT Ibbotson Leonard, I began to link his story with my artifact, which was the next assignment. In this step of the project I was able to use the technology I have access to share the incredible story of an un-remebered story that made Canada the place it is today.

After I had a clear idea of what the story I was going tell would be about, I began the screen play which would hold every detail of the actual video. I put my best work into the screenplay, using the pervious brainstorming, researching and story outline to guide me. I was very intrigued and connected to the story of Ibbotson Leonard and the Semaphore Flag, which I think was the main reason for the positive reaction to my finished screen play. As I was working on and researching for the screen play, I realized how important not only recording your thoughts but voicing your opinion is and will be decades down the road. I  found that even if you aren’t a president or celebrity, someone may look back on your name.

after the story was made it was time to bring it to life. Finding images and videos to back the script was actually quite difficult. Since my soldier and his life were pretty un documented, it really took some digging to find some useful media. Besides for photos of his documents or family business,  the video and photos, usually had nothing to do with Ibbotson at all. For this step of the process I thought it would be helpful to get all photos I needed ahead of time so I could have more time to curate and arrange the photos and their roles in the video. This ended up helping a lot and allowed my to have a thorough idea of what my video would look like. Much like the other storyboards I had created this year, I was very proud of the aesthetic and planning I put into it.

By the end of the storyboard I had a pretty good idea of what I was going to communicate through my video so all that was left to do was make the video. By the time I had put in the photos, recorded, and aligned the audio with the visuals I had a pretty good feeling about my work. The only hold back was that I still had an entire week before we were required to finish. I knew that this was going to be one of the last times I could show my video skills this year and I knew my video could be better, so I got to working. With the help of all of the previous projects, I used my favourite apps and my own creativity to weave together a masterpiece of a video. Although I thought it was very entertaining and interesting to watch, I also knew it wasn’t going to meet the criteria when it came function. I was so focused on making it creative and intriguing, that when I took a step back to look at the video, I got bit distracted. The point of the video was to inform and to teach, not at all my video at that time. I revised, made my video what I had wanted, and got ready for the final destination of the adventure.

The exhibition was when I was able to really show my understanding of both historical significance and Global collaboration. After we had our artifact and a condensed version of an explanation of what the significance of the artifact was in WWI, we were able to present our knowledge to other classes at our school. I found out that it was actually incredibly difficult compressing weeks of knowledge into a three minute pitch. Although, at the actual exhibition I was very pleased on how well I was able to execute that task. Since the exhibition was in a gallery walk format, I was lucky enough to be surrounded by helpful peers. In particular, I had Logan Wickstone when ever I needed some help with pitch or moral support. In the exhibition I was able to tell a good story, list of some good facts, and hopefully leave the audience with an understanding of why the semaphore flags in Canada was significant in WWI.

taking everything from a project to answer the Driving Question is pretty challenging, although, if you reflect on each piece of work and how it helped you reach you end goal, it often isn’t quite as gruelling of a task. Using how I improved on both of the competencies, and my improvement in work, I can now answer the the question: How might we use artifacts and film to show the significance of World War One? After my research, story telling, and presenting I had came up with the answer: we can use artifact and film to tell stories of WWI to prove their significance to the state of the world around you. Overall I’m glad I was able to hav the opportunity to share my learning with you and make sure you comment and questions or thoughts you have on this post.

A Case For A Nation: Week 3 and 4 ✅

A fresh start to the new year and an even fresher project to go with it. Our first project of 2021 is tilted The Case for a Nation. This one was led by the Driving question: How can an understanding of nationalism in the past, help us make sense of today? As you can see from the DQ, this project is all about Nationalism and all that comes with it. Living in the time that we currently experiencing, this topic could not be more relevant. With multiple examples  around the world, especially the current event happening in the U.S.A., learning about this global symptom is more important than ever.

The learning journey for this project began with a thorough explanation of Nationalism and how we will apply what we learn into our work pieces. Since this project consists of a whopping 10 milestones, I decided that it would be best to reflect on each weeks learning, instead of a final post where I may forget some of the learning. With three solid milestones in the books, I have a fresh POV on how I will get to my end product, both physically and mentally.

This project is three fold in its goals, and can be separated into Historical Thinking skills, English writing skills, and Applied Design and Technology. Our topic of nationalism, allows us to examine the creation of nations around the world. This understanding will help us to understand the history of and creation of our own country. Through research, gathering evidence, and organization, we will practice our writing skills. You will be asked to organize information to tell a story. Finally you will tell this story through the empowerment of a device – practicing our skills in video production and editing.

Although milestone one was our first big piece of work, when I reflect on what most helped me through the learning process, I realized that our first activity of  brainstorming what made up a nation, had really helped me understand the topic at hand. Since we couldn’t learn about nationalism if we didn’t know what a nation was, this activity was crucial in our leaning process. After discovering all of the the possible variables that could define a nation, we were asked to decide which variable could most describe the foundation of a nation. I decided that although most nations often have a common political view, geographical boarders define a nation.

After a personal finalized answer, it was time to gather a another point of view on the topic. For milestone one, we were asked to interview a parent on nationalism and what they think makes up a nation. This process was extremely interesting. To learn what a completely different generation’s point of view and opinion on the topic was quite interesting. I found that my interviewee tended to use examples of nationalism from their past, or from what they learned in school themselves. This exercise helped me understand nationalism in the past, which was a huge step forward to answering the final question.

By milestone two we had begun to dive into the twisted history of nationalism around the world. We were introduced to the topic by participating in a short activity. For it, we exhibited five different nations that where changed by nationalism. After briefly learning about all five nations, I decided that I would choose Italy. Since one of our previous projects was about The Renaissance, which I found very interesting, I thought that this country could hold some pretty fascinating information. We were then asked to create the KNOW YOUR STORY tab in this years FILM PLANNER. This was the milestone aspect of this step in the process. Other than more in-depth research on nationalism in Italy, we were asked to create a structured story on how nationalism changed Italy as a whole. For this part I was glad I picked Italy. I guess the teacher pick the country for a reason, but the amount nationalism changed Italy was transformative. In the KYS tab there were four questions we needed to answer. We were asked to find the purpose, message, and audience of the story. We were also asked to list our sources for info in MLA format at the bottom of the page, which ended up to be useful for our end of the week video.
This milestone was lead by three competencies:

Enlglish 9

Using Resources / Use Evidence from Various Sources: Have I found diverse sources and evaluated them for their relevance, accuracy, and reliability?

Social Studies 9

Identify Continuity and Change: How are lives and conditions alike over time and how have they changed?

Maker 9

Empowered Learner: How might I use technology to construct knowledge?

I exhibited the Identify continuity and change competency in this milestone by clearly writing what changed and stayed the same throughout the unification of Italy below my story mountain. For the empowered learner competency, I thought that I showed my understanding through a voice note to help deepen my message, which ended up greatly enhancing the piece of work. I also thought that I showed my understanding of the Using Resources competency with the diversity of websites that I used to find the needed information.

Milestone 3 came faster than expected. After a completed Screenplay, and storyboard, our knowledge and extended research was put the test. Although I hadn’t mentioned it, we knew exactly what we were going to be asked to do for our final product right from the get go. For the milestone we used our story or ding and digital skills, as well as the knowledge about our story, to create an animatic. This would answer the question; How significant was nationalism around the world? My answer to this question lay in the many hours of ongoing research as well as the the story. planning process. In Italy, nationalism not only changed the way the country was governed, but united a nation that is still relevant to this day. People are powerful when the unite, and in this example, the love of their nation changed the world.

The competencies for milestone three were a smidge different than last’s. The competencies included:

Designing Texts: Have I used writing and design processes to plan, develop, create, and refine engaging and meaningful texts considering purpose, audience, and message?

Social Studies 9

Maker 9

For the designing texts competency, we were assessed on our story and the message it bestowed. Since the Italian confederation holds such a complex history, I needed to extract the most important events and weave them together to create a compelling story. This was an incredibly useful skill to have not only for future projects, but for the rest of my life. Incorporating continuity and change was much easier since I had already planned my main points of focus in our second milestone. I creatively incorporated a modern day historian to reflect on the two questions which made this aspect of the milestone very clear and easy to follow. Using keynote’s full capabilities I used all of my animations to portray movement and to enhance the story as a whole. Although the artwork wasn’t a top priority due to the fact that they were only there to represent an image, I thought that a more detailed drawing would help the director, or cinematographer when shooting each shot. My whole process consisted of many other apps such as iMovie and images to help organize and curate my final video.

Well, there you have it. Two weeks in the books, both, memorable and packed with important knowledge.  If you haven’t already, you can read my previous post to gain some backup knowledge on the 2021 Case For a Nation project. The overall project was led by the driving question: How can understanding nationalism in the past, help us make sense of today? Although, this week specifically was led by the essential question: how did nationalism change British North America in the 1800s. 

The first milestone in this weeks process was actually milestone 4 since we already reached milestone three last week.  This milestone was all about building knowledge. Living in Canada for most of my life I found that I never really learned the true history of the incredible country  that Canada is today. As I reflect, I realize how important this knowledge was towards my worldview and my understanding of everyday life. When I think about how the nationalism impacted Canada’s confederation and all history prior,  I find myself with a hanging jaw.

In this milestone we completed the Know Your Story Tab on this weeks film planner. In the tab I recorded all notes, ideas, and the core questions for our final video. We also identified our story structure of our tutorial video, which would be the end product of this case study. I thought that I used Apple Number’s many features to best show my message, and in this case my knowledge of BNA.

Once I knew my story, it was time to move onto the next planning stages of the movie making process.  Although I created a very well thought out screenplay, we were only formally assessed on the storyboard of our video. Milestone 5 included three competencies:  Designing Texts: Have I used writing and design processes to plan, develop, create, and refine engaging and meaningful texts considering purpose, audience, and message?

—————————

—————————

For my storyboard I thought that I showed immense detail in each frame. Although, my estimation of the timing, ended up to be quite wrong.

After an approved storyboard and screenplay, the difficulties of the filming process knocked me over like a rouge  wave. Since I spent so much time on the storyboard, I ended up to start a day late on the final milestone. I was very proud of my metaphor for Canadas confederation. A chemistry experiment seemed like it would work, and with the planning I completed in the KYS tab, screenplay, and the storyboard, I thought that filming would come easy… tell that to my 12:00 am self trying to film an engaging video! Although it was difficult, I managed keep my eyes open long enough to capture some useful footage for the editing process.

The next day I went to school with nearly 20 minutes of footage. That evening after school, was the longest editing session that I had faced in my entire PLP experience. By the end I had gotten my video down to a little under 15 mins, but I new that I would need to shorten even more. Another night of revised editing and I had finally got my video down to a satisfactory time. With my video under ten minutes I was ready to hand it in one last time.

Reflecting on the competencies, I realized my understanding of each one had chaned since they were first visited at the beginning of week one. I not only showed unique examples of my work for each one, but each use became stronger. For example, starting of with my, modern day historian in the animatic, to what I thouht to be a clear physical representation of  British influence on BNA. I ended up having a lot of trouble tieing this idea with my chemistry experiment. Another example is the empowered learner competency. By the final video, my use of technology to form a well crafted video had improved vividly under the circumstances that I was in. Although my video was very long and at times hard to watch, the lessons I learned in the process should greatly help me going forward.  My story and understanding of each case study has also improved from the animatic a week ago. In this video I was almost able to tell an interesting story with my creative idea.

Since milestone 6 was due for Friday morning, we still had all of that afternoon to learn our new case study. As we move further along in the timeline,  the birth of some of Canadas darkest years arise. In this case study we are focusing on oppression in Canada and what the culprits believed justified their actions. We had a choice between a side study of Louis Riel and the Métis, or the focus of the Indian Act in Canada. After creating the know Your Story tab once agin, and finding the story of Louis Riel and the Red River Resistance, it was up to us if we wanted to extend our learning and focus on oppression of the first peoples of Canada. That night I went home and researched all I need to know about the second topic provided. Although the subject is tragic, I decided that I wanted to know more about the issue that seen still to this day. I found the story and completed milestone 7 which is the screen play to the explainer video. The explainer video is going to be our end product for this case study. In this milestone I ended up to show a very sufisticated understanding of the designing text competency. I used intricate and powerful wording help tell the story of the case study. For my video I will try to clearly layout continuity since my screenplay could have more clarity around the subject.

Well, the video is done and so are the four other milestones that came after. It has been a trek but before I give you the “deits” on that, lets pickup from where I last finished off. Okay, Milestone eight.  It was a long couple of days planning this video out, although with the screenplay and storyboard at hand, the actual filming an editing process,  flew by like an eagle in the wind. I took the script in pages and transformed it into a teleprompter, which made the filming process much easier.  Using the storyboard I was able to gather the images easily and efficiently In the designing text competency, we were asked to design texts that showed meaningful purposes. In the screenplay, as I said earlier, I showed my understanding through word choice,  and with all of the resources, I crafted a story that would give someone an deep understanding on the Indian Act and it’s outcomes. Finally, putting together the images and animations to the video. Although this part took a while, (like all editing does) I ended up to enjoy the process. Unlike the previous three videos, I didn’t find myself loosing focus or spending to much time on one aspect of  the video. I flowed smoothly and was extremely efficient. Besides for one “ the struggle is real” moment, where I could not line up audio with the visuals, My video process was one of the most satisfying so far.

After four videos and nearly nine chances to show each competency, the destination at the end of the road was finally here. Milestone nine was a cumulative video, meaning it was a combination of all of our learning topics. We were given the choice between the three different types of videos that we had done so far. Since I was proud of all of my videos, I decided that it would be best just to incorporate a couple that most stood out to me. I chose documentary style for transitions, animatic and explainer for the different case studies, and new kind of video called a “John Green Video”. The John Green video is a just a fast-paced factual video, with a mix of live action and photos. After all of the videos I had done so far, the film planner had become habitual. Since I already had all of the information and sources needed, I quickly filled out the know your story tab and moved on to the screenplay.  I past videos, before this year, the thought of making a detailed script before every video was inconceivable. If I already had an idea of what I was going to make why wouldn’t I just go with my gut? Well… it may be because I’m a teenager, but  what once may have been a crystal clear idea one day, usually turns a bunch of mosh by the next. The importance of the screenplay was heavily noted in this video. From my past failed attempts of keeping it in the time restraint, I realized that if you aim for your goal in your screenplay, you will usually go over. Although, if you aim under and focus all of your energy to keep it short and sweet, your goal will probably be achieved. Luckily for me I had already learned this lesson for milestone 9. With a reasonable goal of ten minutes, I tried as hard as I could stay in my time frame.

I wouldn’t have been able to do this without the extensive pre-pre video planning I did the night before. I decided that since this was going to be the last chance to show my understanding of the different competencies and the last chance to show how much I learned about video making, I would put all my energy to make this video the best video I HAD EVER MADE. The first plan of attack was to brainstorm. With four different case studies, engraved in my head, I planned how each story would answer the driving question of the project. I started broad, with each case study , then went deeper and deeper until I found how and when I would  use each piece of evidence in my final video. This could not halve been a better idea. With that I was able to find an order for my video, and create a meaningful, and out of the box, screenplay, which ended up to be a little over ten minutes long. Filming was just as fun. Using the most amount of my creative mind as possible, I constructed two different charters and a really good story to go with. Although I found the answer to the driving question during my primary planning, my curated answer to: How can an understanding of nationalism help us understand today? Ended up to be:

An understanding of nationalism can help us understand the world through different perspectives. It can help us understand geographical boarders, country’s inhabitants ethnicities, current events, and the daily appearances in your life that are unique to north Vancouver.   

Overall, I was really proud of the work I put into this video. For the finding resources competency, my use of sources extend to nearly twenty by the end. I found it really interesting how much I use different cites, whether it be a quick fact check, or the basis of the entire video. When it comes to designing texts, I thought that by the last two videos, not only my knowledge, but my use of technology and word choice to fluently tell each story had improved tenfold. That point also ties into the empowered learner competency. In this competency, I thought that I showed the most improvement. From a non ingaging and way too long, tutorial video, to milestone 9 I have found ways to enhance my videos that I had never thought possible.

finally, after milestone 9 was done and out of the way it was time to celebrate. Using similar questions as the first video of their projects, I interviewed Jason’s on as he reacted to my cumulative video. This was awesome and was a great way to show how much my video skills had improved.

Although it sad to end this quarter, I am very greatful for all that I had learned about video making as well as making my way through the struggles of the everyday. Make sure you comment how you thought the videos were, and maybe even lave a like on my youtube channel 🙂 thanks for reading!

A Case For A Nation: Week 2

—————————

—————————

Since milestone 6 was due for Friday morning, we still had all of that afternoon to learn our new case study. As we move further along in the timeline,  the birth of some of Canadas darkest years arise. In this case study we are focusing on oppression in Canada and what the culprits believed justified their actions. We had a choice between a side study of Louis Riel and the Métis, or the focus of the Indian Act in Canada. After creating the know Your Story tab once agin, and finding the story of Louis Riel and the Red River Resistance, it was up to us if we wanted to extend our learning and focus on oppression of the first peoples of Canada. That night I went home and researched all I need to know about the second topic provided. Although the subject is tragic, I decided that I wanted to know more about the issue that seen still to this day. I found the story and completed milestone 7 which is the screen play to the explainer video. The explainer video is going to be our end product for this case study. In this milestone I ended up to show a very sufisticated under standing of the designing text competency. I used intricate and powerful wording help tell the story of the case study. For my video I will try to clearly layout continuity since my screenplay could have more clarity around the subject.

I hope that all I had learned has contributed to something that y’all enjoy and it can help you understand some Canadian history! Overall thanks for reading and please make sure you comment any questions on this post. I am eager to learn more and improve even more than I already have.

The Case For a Nation: Week One

A fresh start to the new year and an even fresher project to go with it. Our first project of of 2021 is tilted The Case for a Nation. This one was led by the Driving question: How can an understanding of nationalism in the past, help us make sense of today? As you can see from the DQ, this project is all about Nationalism and all that comes with it. Living in the time that we currently experiencing, this topic could not be more relevant. With multiple examples  around the world, especially the current event happening in the U.S.A., learning about this global symptom is more important than ever.

Enlglish 9

Social Studies 9

Maker 9

Social Studies 9

Maker 9

Overall this week was a great start to the project. Although, I have created exceptionally good work so far, there is always room to improve and learn. I am exited to fill my head with more knowledge and to learn new things that may just blow me away. Thanks for reading.

It’s Alive, Its Alive!… Well not really

Number 3!  Four weeks in and we already have finished half of our final project before the break. These past few weeks have been pretty hectic, and the transition between the projects had not been easy. Since this is the last project in the first half of this quarter, the new system has become somewhat normal. The tough two hour periods have been gruelling but the amount of work our PLP 9 class has put in to our three projects, deserves a well earned break.

The name of this project was definitely one to remember. At first when I heard it, I didn’t have a clue of what it could be. Knowing that this project was based around the Industrial Revolution, I had an ever growing wonder of how the name could relate. Later that day when the project outline was given, I knew that the work ahead would be a roller coaster of ups and downs. As with most other projects in the past, Frankenstuffie 2020 was approached with a growth mindset. I decided that I would just ride the waves of the project and strive to always do my best along the way. I was already wiped-out from our last project, therefore  I didn’t have quite the same “oomph”, going into it.

With support from our previous DQ, Rise of the Frankenstuffie project was lead by the Driving Question: HOW DO REVOLUTIONS TRANSFORM THE WORLD? As An individual, I came up with the answer: Revolutions transform the world by fundamentally changing the beliefs and ideas that society’s are based upon. This was revealed both in the Industrial Revolution through the global spread of ideas, and the American and French Revolutions through the spread of political, social, and economic beliefs.

The Ever Changing Road To My Answer…

The launch for this project consisted of the knowledge and skills needed in order to begin the learning process. In this case the skills were learning how to sew, and the knowledge was learning the key concepts of the Industrial Revolution. During this phase of the project, I developed my first understandings on why the Industrial Revolution may have worldwide impacts.

The construction of my frankenstuffie took a while, but after tearing apart multiple stuffed animals and sewing them together in my own creative way, milestone one was ready to be tackled. Since we had a physical creature, all that was left to do is to use our wild imagination to bring it to life.  For this part of the process, I decided that I would tap into my inner creativity and let it all out into my Character Resume. Coming up with a name was easy peasy and by the end of that day, Dre had become as real as ever.

By milestone two, my answer had slowly began to form. Taking in all of the knowledge from what we had learned so far, I realized how much the ‘spread of new ideas’ was an out come of most Revolutions. I knew that that couldn’t be a finalized answer, so I continued learning and reflecting along the way.

The final product for milestone two was when we incorporated short fiction and the Industrial Revolution to make a creative short story, using the Designing Texts competency: Have I used writing and design processes to plan, develop, create, and refine engaging and meaningful texts considering purpose, audience, and message?, And the Comprehending Texts competency: Have I applied a variety of strategies to comprehend texts and express an understanding of how texts use features? After becoming masters on short fiction by learning many various skills such as the 6+1 traits of writing, it was time to begin the writing process.

Late nights and writers blocks were just the beginning of the difficulties I faced while writing. I struggled to incorporate all of my previous details from milestone one and two, and by the time that I realized that was not necessary, I was already nearly 2000 words in. Although it was a mentally strenuous process, I managed to have a completed story that met the criteria by the time that it was due. At the time I thought it was a bit of a mess, but when I started to reflect, I realized how much the work was worth it. I found that I not only extended in most of the criteria given, but I added the skill of precise, creative writing to my repertoire.

The forth, fifth, and sixth milestones seem to come with ought warning, and the calm after the storm of milestone two vanished as if it were never there. My answer to our driving question had altered once again. Using knowledge that we had been given from the leviathan book as well as how the Industrial Revolution effected lives around the world, I had curated a fresh perspective on my answer. Not only do Revolutions transform ideas around the world, but the once never question beliefs of societies, can fundamentally change as well.

After milestone four’s screenplay and video planning using the story spine, as well as my masterpiece of a story board, it was time to put my movie making hat on and get to work. I had travelled a far distance from when we first started. I learned how to make my descriptive writing more concise, I had learned new video and filmmaking skills, and most of all I had learned the history of the revolutions that allow me to be writing this at this very moment.

Milestone six was when my patience and determination to express my ideas was put the test. When I showed my teacher my story spine for my video and she warned me of the extensive work ahead of me, I didn’t realize how right she could’ve been. With the previos uses of  competencies throughout the project, I really only used them as guidance and to see if I was on the right track. Although, in this milestone I took the creative communicator and the other competencies to heart. I made sure that in my final video I used as many of the applications I could access  with this iPad. A few ten-hour-workdays later, I had created a piece of work that I could not have been more proud of. Although it was not Pixar-quality animation, the amount of time and patience I put into the video was incredibly visible.

My film followed the story of scientifically created, Dre and his journey to save his home, Greenland from the bitter chill of the frozen wasteland that the country had become. He ventures to Scotland in the midst of the Industrial Revolution and finds new ideas and skills that may be the solution to the problem.

As with most projects I had learned skills that I never knew existed.

With a finalized answer to the DQ and much needed rest, I stepped out into the light at the end of the once dark tunnel. It was only then that I realized the tunnel was lit all along.

Thank you for reading and make sure you comment any questions you have on this post or project.