Introduction:

This project really allow me to be extremely creative with the final product. For this project I had to create an object that had maximum surface area or volume. We were allowed to do this project in either groups of 2-3 or by ourselves. Additionally, at the end of the project we were tasked with presenting our calculations for surface area and volume to a class in a PowerPoint or keynote. One thing this project has taught me is that you should plan out the work and when your going to do the work at the beginning thus you won’t procrastinate or not know what to create. In general, this project taught me a lot of important lessons that I hope I can use in future work.

Milestone two

For Milestone two we had to hand in the formulas  that were going to be used for my mathematical calculations and the final draft of my pirate. One thing I believe I did amazing on this part of the project was create a visually pleasing design for the pirate ship. Even thought I feel like I could of done better however, I think overall, it looks at least decent. One thing I wished I should of done differently was add more different shapes. This could be a cone or a sphere but just something more than rectangles, triangular prism thus, I could of got a better mark. Overall, this was one of my favourite milestones and I’m glad that they allowed so much freedom for this project 

Milestone four

Creating and the presenting my presentation to the class was very difficult. For milestone four we had to present our project to the class. The main element of the project that was meant to be in our presentation was our math and specifically what was our process with the calculation. I believe if I were to do this project again I would try not to procrastinate as much and focus less on the design of each slides. During the weekend I had a great deal of time to work on my project however, I spent most of my weekend on my phone and telling myself I could work on it in an hour. Overall, this project taught me that I need to be more careful on what I spend my time on.

Competency:

Applying and innovating: Contribute to care for self, others, community, and world through personal or collaborative approaches

I believe that I mostly completely show this competence in my work. Due to not having any partners I was able to work with out the distraction of another person. However, I frequently doodle when I was bored or burnt out for a few seconds which caused me to loose my focus and my train of thought. I can try to improve next time by planning out when I’m aloud to have quick second doodle breaks. Overall I hope next project I can work hard to fully achieve this competence 

Reasoning and analyzing: Model mathematics in contextualized experiences 

I believe I have fully achieved this competence. Since I didn’t have a partner all I needed was more than 10 shapes and I would have at the very least an accomplished project. I did around 30 to 50 shapes in the final version of my pirate ship. Another example of how I showed is my goal of getting maximum volume was achieved at the end of the project. I had a volume of 149279.94mm3 which was much bigger compared to my surface area of 37994.08mm2. In general, I’m very happy and proud of how this competence turned out.

Communicating and Representing: Explain and justify mathematical ideas and decisions

I believe I have almost fully meant this competence for this project. This competence can be shown in my final calculations  for the project. I showed all my work and even highlighted my answers thus, it would be more clear and organized when I present my calculation to the class. This also shown in how my goal for the project, to have maximum volume was achieved and I was able to create a ratios of 3.928mm3:1mm2 and 0.255mm2:1mm3. The one thing I need improve on is showing my calculation better in my presentation. In my presentation I forgot to include my calculations for the wedge triangle and only realized in the last moments. Overall, I hope I do this great of a job with the math side of the assignment in future work.

Conclusion:

Overall, this project even thought difficult was one of the most enjoyable project I have done. This project got me to use my skills in art and in design for which I’m grateful for since it was a very fun and exciting experience! Additionally, I taught what skill I most likely need to work on in order for me to have more success in the future. These skills are things such time management and willingness to take risky decisions. In general, this project gave me a great deal of self awareness for goals I should work on and make in the future.