Introduction

This unit was all about how to make your own movie. The main apps we used was iMovie and Clips. We created with these apps a bunch of different movies using different editing techniques, angles, effects and filters. Before this project, I didn’t know anything about the history of editing and how to create a video that could be considered to be like a professional movie or film. Overall, this project has taught me quite a lot of how to see the world like a director. 

Skill 1: Think Like a Movie Maker

I Think Like a Movie Maker was our first step into learning how to create a film. Our first assignment was about us presenting a video concerning a hobby of our choice and creating a story with a beginning, middle and end. This whole video had to be done one Clips and must include filters, effects, posters, subtitles and more. This part of the project really helped me learn the features of Clips and taught me how to use poster and use the different filters. If I were going to do this project again I would make sure to plan out my angles and make my transitions more clean. However, I think I did an extremely well job at incorporating my effects and filters into my film. Overall, this project helped me become more experienced in using clips. 

Skill 2: Framing Shots and Developing Angles

The next part of the project was all about planning our angles and creating smooth transition. For this one we had to create a silent film, a film without sound and black and white. Additionally, this film must have a story, include a variety of different angles, take place in one setting, use an appropriate soundtrack as background music and use the “gasp” film. I learned through this film how to record in Clips without holding the recording button, how to add music to a soundtrack, plan out angles and how to write on a poster. However, if I were going to do this project again I would make the props included more fancy and fit the mood of the film. One of the strong points of this film was the interesting story line and the use of puppets. Overall, I had a lot of fun during the creation and the editing of this film.

Skill 3: Planning and Shooting 

Planning and Shooting was all about creating a plan for what our film should be. This was one of the first films where we had to work with multiple people to complete. We had to use the DIY storyboard in iMovie and our film had to be a tutorial. I was put in a group with Ariane and Mickey and we decided to do a tutorial of how to pet a frog. This part of the project taught me how to edit effectively both the video and the sound of the video. If I were going to do this project again I would make sure our audio was at the correct volume for the entire film. However, I think we did a great job at creating an engaging and fun story. Overall, creating this film taught me how to think ahead.

Skill 4: Making the Most of Effects 

This film was all about using effects in a way I have never done. We had to use iMovie for this film and were put into groups. The people I was with were Alicia and Makenna. This video had include special effects such as green screen or disappearing an object/person. I learned through this video how to use the green screen effect in iMovie and how to use sound effects. However, I feel as if we weren’t given enough time to make our editing better which made the final product presented to the class not our best work. Moreover, I still think we did a great job at acting and writing a interesting story. Overall, this part of project helped me learn how to use effects.

This project has helped me become more ambition for my future goals in filming. Due to the knowledge I have now required on how to use effects and angle effectively. I will most defiantly be using the techniques I have learned in this project in the future, especially the green screen. Overall, I can most denfialty say that this project has helped me to grow as a learner.