How is the reproduction of cells essential to the survival of organisms?

Introduction

This project has taught me how life comes to exist and more specifically, how I came into existence. This entire project was about mitosis and meiosis, types of cellar reproduction. Before this project, I didn’t know anything about mitosis and meiosis however, after the project I could explain to you each stage of the process. Overall, this project pushed me to fully understand a concept I didn’t know anything about before. 

Milestone 1

For milestone two, we had to create a mind-map that showcased our full understanding of the topic. For my mind map, most of my information came from the textbook pages we are provided due to me not know anything about meiosis or mitosis. If I were going to do this project again I would make sure to make the little photos cause less strain to peoples eyes. However, I think I did an amazing job at including a lot of information at this part of the project. Overall, this project has taught me the basic ground work for these concepts. 

Milestone 4 Part 1: Models of Mitosis

For milestone four part one, we had to use all of our knowledge so far to create a visual model of mitosis using the program Tinkercad. The stages of Mitosis that we were representing were Interphase, Prophase, Metaphase, Anaphase, Telophase and Cytokinesis. If I were going to do this project again I would make sure to make my photos better laid out on my Tinkercad file. However, I think did a great job representing the different parts of mitosis in these models. Overall, this part of the project helped me understand each part of mitosis.

Milestone 4 Part 2: Models of Meiosis 

For milestone four part two, we had to create the process of meiosis using Tinkercad. One thing I wished I could of improved on this project was to add little specs of colours to the chromosomes on my first try. This is due to me having to revise due to the lack of little specs of colour. However, I think I did amazing job in representing the process visually. Overall, this part of project taught me what meiosis should look.

Milestone 5: Narrated Video 

For milestone five, we had to create a narrated video filled with everything we knew about mitosis and meiosis. This video included the models, garlic experiment and the similarities and differences between meiosis and mitosis. If I were going to do this video again I would defiantly not take my shots for the models in one take. Instead I would make separate videos for each stage of meiosis and mitosis. However, I believe I did a great job at choosing the music and creating the slides. Overall, I think this narrated video is a true representation of what I learned in this project. 

Core Competencies

Questioning and Predicting: Demonstrate a sustained intellectual curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest

I believe that I have mastered this competence. This is due to me spending all my class time productively. I was especially productive this project due to me spending time on assignments that weren’t even assigned to the class. This caused me to get work done quickly and have a better understanding of the topic being discussed. This can be seen with milestone three and milestone four due to how much time I spend on those project outside of school and inside of school. Overall, I believe I was focused and I could defiantly teach mitosis and meiosis to someone who hasn’t heard of those concepts before.

Planning and conducting: Collaboratively and individually plan, select and use appropriate investigation methods, including field work and lab experiments to collect reliable data 

I believe that I have somewhat competence I have somewhat mastered. This is due to our original experiment not turning out perfect and the fact that I’m still unsure of how accurately I theorized which stage fit the picture. This can be seen in my video where I go through each stage of mitosis. This is due to me guessing which circle I think are part of mitosis and not having infinitive proof if they are actually part of mitosis. However, I think I did a decent job following the instructions of the project and using the appropriate language and methods. Overall, I can improve in this competence in the future. 

Scientific Communication: Formulate physical or metal theoretical models to describe a phenomenon 

I believe that I fully met this competence. It took a couple of tries however, I was eventually able to create a models that fully represents the phenomenons of mitosis and meiosis. This can be seen with the models represented in my video. As shown, all the models include each stage of mitosis and meiosis and go into detail on how that is. Additionally, I explain the phenomenon in an easy to understand way and in a way that still shows how complicated the process is. Overall, I think I have truly mastered this part of the project. 

This project has taught me that cells are the reason for everyone living. Without cells, there is absolutely now way any living being would exist. This project has made me realize just how important cells are to living. Overall, this project has allowed me to see just how important mitosis and meiosis is to our continued existence.