Hello and welcome to another blog post. In this post, I will be talking about IDENTITY and how the land can impact your identity. If you want to learn a little more about identity, you can go to my other blog post. So let’s get straight into it. 

What is Identity?

Identity is somewhat different than worldview. It’s about how the world sees you rather than how you see the world. You can get impacted in many different ways. The food, the climate, the community, the culture, the religion and a lot of other things can impact your identity. But how can the land impact your identity? The land plays a huge role in identity. Everything listed above is included in the land. What I mean is, based off of where you live, the climate, food, culture, religion, people and a lot of other things can be different than other places. 

The Project

For our Project, we travelled to Alberta and we were tasked to create a video explaining how each of the places impacted the people’s identity there. Most places are based off of the CPR(Canadian Pacific Railway) and some are just really nice tourist attractions. Obviously, we weren’t supposed to use all the places but you can if you wanted to. The minimum is three places and we had to have at least one interview in the video. I chose five different places, they were Rogers Pass, Spiral Tunnels, Craigellachie, Columbia Icefield, and Buffalo Ranch.

Craigellachie                                     Rogers Pass

Buffalo Ranch                                    Spiral Tunnels

Columbia Icefield

Learning About Interviews

Before I get into telling you about the video, I want to talk about some learning experiences. Especially for interviews. For my very first interview, I was really really nervous. So I didn’t get much out of that interview. First, we had to do a introduction(which went really bad in the first interview), we asked them if they were comfortable answering some questions, if they say yes, we would ask if we can record their audio or film them. Since we were trying to get people’s opinions on identity, we didn’t want to make the questions too complicated. For my first interview, the person I interviewed was comfortable with only the audio. Yes, I was nervous when I did my first interview so it didn’t go that well. I also didn’t get much information out of it. After the first interview, and went to do my second(not because the first one was bad, it was because I wanted too), but this time, I was with my buddy Jason. It went so much better, we even had some follow up questions. In the end, I actually had three interviews, two at the Glacier Skywalk/Columbia Icefield, and one at the Buffalo Ranch. Now your probably thinking, I WANT TO SEE YOUR VIDEO, so I will show it to you.

The Video

Let me do a brief intro to my video. In this video, you will see the five places I chose and hear how each places impacts a person’s identity. You will see my two good interviews because I didn’t use the bad one. You will also hear a conclusion and a introduction to identity. Enjoy!

After watching the video(or skipping to the end) my conclusion is… No matter where you live, what you do, you make up your identity. YOU, is more important than LAND. You can choose to eat Chinese food in Canada, or wear shorts at -100 degrees Celsius. It’s all up to you. What you do, what you eat, what you wear, it’s what really makes up your identity.