Chemical Coding

Introduction

Hi this is my new blog on a new project chemistry coding. I will be sharing all about how I made a video game based on atoms. I know that sounds weird but I want to tell you about my journey through this project.

Launch 

Project start mind-map

The first thing we did was make a project to start Mind Map. This helped me get a good idea about what this project was going to be about.

Mind Map picture before…

Mind map picture after…

Building knowledge

Gemstone identification challenge

After we got introduced to the atomic theory we tried to identify what a gemstone bye measuring its density through multiplying its volume and mass.

Workbook pages

Here is where we read most about the atomic theory and the kinetic molecule theory. We also learned about the difference between a physical and chemical change that really helped us to get a good understanding for what our games would look like.

Atomic theory test

This was a test that went over all the things we had learned in the workbook pages prior. The reason fo this test was to give us a better understanding of how much we new about the atomic theory. I think this was a great learning experience.

Develop and critique 

making our atoms

after we had finishing researching we decided to make atoms that would fit into our game. You could do multiple types of atoms if you wanted I chose a lot of different atoms an molecules.

Example of my atoms…

Milestone 4

Basically we had to create an outline for what our scratch project would look like and say how it would include all the requirements for my game ( it needs to follow the atomic theory and the kinetic molecularly theory). 

Milestone 5

After we finished our plan it was time to implement what we had learned on scratch. We first had to watch a lot of scratch tutorials to make sure that we knew what we where supposed to do. After hat we had to start making our game. It was really hard to learn scratch at first but once you had it down backed then you can create almost any video game.

sketches of my atoms and molecules

image of my scratch coding

Core competencies

Questioning and predicting: basically did I use all my class time wisely. I think I kind of did most of the time and I definitely improved from the last quarter but there’s still so much more that I could improve on. I need to make sure I’m listening t instructions better because I often zone out and don’t know what’s going on.  One thing that really helped me to use my class time more efficiently then last time was the project plan that we did at the beginning of the day this really showed me what we where going to do that day and how I could use my time efficiently to get my work done. 

Scientific communication: basically did I implement the things we learned about into my scratch game. Even thought the work book pages really gave me a really good understanding on what the kinetic molecular and atomic theory was i struggled to implement it into my game I think that I needed a bit more time to finish but my game did not really revolve that much around the kinetic molecular theory. 

Reasoning and analyzing: basically did I make a scratch game that works properly and makes sense. I did this pretty well but i could definitely improve on it. I had nice ascetics and the game worked really smoothly the controls where good. I have to give a big thanks to the tutorials that I watched because they really gave me a great understanding on how to do scratch and make a really good game.

In conclusion this was a really great learning experience and it really helped me get a better understanding on atoms. I cant wait to start the next project in scimatics.

Link to my game: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/527676057/