Without An H

“I would rather die of passion than of boredom”

Argh Matey, fly the Jolly Roger, etc. 🏴‍☠️

Back at it again with, another blog post! surprise surprise! (Crazy am I right?). Today I’m talking about our last project, Argh Matey. Though, the title is very pirate-ey, the actual project was more focused on the age of exploration. 

Evidence of my learning

To kick off this project, we watched the movie ‘Captain Phillips’, based on a true story. It was about the story of the Maersk Alabama, a container ship that was sailing off the coast of Somalia and got hijacked by pirates. The purpose of watching this was to analyze Cause and Consequence, a big part of our project.

That slid us right into Milestone 1, which was using the app AR MAKR to create an augmented reality story that has cause and consequence incorporated into it. I used the true story of the newsboy’s strike of 1899. Here is the cause and consequence sheet I made for that milestone.

Another Milestone that helped me learn was Milestone 3 where I made a more complex Cause and Consequence sheet about European exploration and the discovery of the New World which is America.

Then of course there’s always the last Milestone which was milestone 4, making a script for another AR MAKR video, this time about European exploration. We drew our AR MAKR objects to go in the video and made it all ourselves. In the end, I’m quite proud of the result and we all uploaded the videos. Here is mine

Competencies 

For this project, we had 2 main competencies, English 8, discussing listening and speaking, and Social Studies 8, analyze cause and consequence. I think this project I started as maybe a sunny cloud or sun. I was pretty new to cause and consequence and AR MAKR, as was everyone else. But throughout this project, I grew as a learner and ended off on a sun or rainbow.

Answer to the driving question

What was the impact of global exploration?

This question is pretty hard to answer as it’s so broad. Global exploration has had just so many impacts on the world. This is difficult but I’d say that the top three impacts are changes in food, changes in economics and changes in population. 

Because of exploration foods native to some countries spread to others. For instance, tomatoes were native to the Americas and Italy needed them to make actual pizza so before they just had basically an open-faced grilled cheese with some meat on it. 

Economics were changed because of exploration as well. This is because of the slave trade. When Europeans went to Africa and South America, they quickly realized they could take advantage of people of colour and began systemic racism with their colonization and later taking these people against their wills to be slaves. The slave trade, began, with white Europeans selling and buying slaves. Racism has carried on today, and while we abolished slavery we still have many economical problems with racism. 

Population changes also occurred. When Europeans discovered the “New World”, they brought many of their diseases over that First Nations didn’t have immunity to. Because of that, many First Nations were killed. So in answer to the driving, question, global exploration impacted population, economics, and foods globally and has carried these impacts on today.

Well, that’s it for this post, I’d like to finish it by sincerely thanking my teachers for letting us watch a movie in class and by telling anyone else reading, pirate packs are really good, also thanks to the teachers for that. I learned a ton during the project and I enjoyed getting to use AR MAKR. Until next time! Stay classy.

“How do you leave the past behind when it keeps finding ways to get to your heart? It reaches way down deep and tears you inside out till you’re torn apart.”

-Rent

saraj • April 2, 2021