Without An H

“I would rather die of passion than of boredom”

Destination Imagination

Hi and welcome back to my blog, today I’m going to talk about something that consumed about 70% of my time, thoughts and worries before spring, Destination Imagination, or DI for short.

What is DI?
DI is a global tournament where teams of kids and teenagers compete in different categories, including fine arts, engineering, scientific and technological. They are all given the same challenge for the category, a budget and a specific amount of time to have a solution ready. It’s usually an in-person solution that is judged by a panel of appraisers, but with the global pandemic and all, we had to hand in our solutions in video form.

Starting!
To start our project, we got assigned categories. I got the fine arts challenge. The fine arts challenge was to create a music video based on a piece of literature, which sounded hard but fun. We then got assigned, teams. My team consisted of Dana, Julia, Landon, Gabi, Cole and Ben.

The challenge!
As I mentioned previously, our challenge was to create a music video based on a piece of literature. Our team decided to make a music video about Alice in Wonderland, specifically the tea party scene. Once we made all the important decisions, it was time to buckle down and do the work. Here is a link to the tea party scene our solution was loosely based on.

The work
And so commenced the work. I’d say the amount of work included was the hardest part of DI. I wrote a fair bit of the song, helped make the choreography and put the costume together. It was a huge group effort just to get to the filming day. Here is a bit of the storyboard and a design for Alice’s costume.

Filming Day
About a week before the due date, our team set out to do the filming. Our location was outside in the forest behind Seycove, so that was a hard place to lug all of our props and equipment so we aimed to get all the footage in one day. It was a challenge but we managed it. It was crazy how it took us maybe over 2 hours just to get 5 minutes of footage (I think maybe we needed a director to boss us around).

Finishing up
Once we had filled out all the forms and done the editing on the video, it was the due date! Our video was finished and we had it finished. We handed it in and everyone collectively breathed a sigh of relief. On the last day of school before spring break, we all got to watch the other teams from our class’s videos. It took a lot of work, effort, ideas, zoom calls, tears and footage but we got to the end.

The End Product and Q and A

Now I’m sure you all want to see the end product, and see it you may! My team’s video, A Mad Tea Party is just below. As well as the challenge solution, I put our team’s Q and A video where we answer some questions about our challenge solution. I hope you enjoy them!

Challenge Solution:

Q and A:

The project’s end brings this blog post to an end as well. I hope you enjoyed this summative post, until next time, later skaters, stay classy! 😎

saraj • April 2, 2021