tPols 2022

TPOLS 2022

Why do you feel you are ready to advance to the next grade?

In this presentation of learning, I will be demonstrating my learning over the last year. I will be exhibiting my growth and why I am ready for PLP 10. In this blog post, I will be recapping my school year, and explaining the lessons I learned from these experiences.

First, I will be explaining my experience with our project, People and the Environment. This was one of the first projects of the year, and one that I actually liked quite a lot. For this project, we wrote letters to Canadian politicians about an environmental related issue. My first idea for this project was to write a letter to the Bloc Québécois on why Quebec independence would be better for the environment. When I presented this idea to the teachers, they were confused and possibly a bit disturbed that this was my first thought. They obviously rejected my idea, and in turn, crushed my dream of Quebec Independence. At the beginning of the next class, they told us that now, we would only be sending letters to BC politicians. At least I got some sort of change. I think this experience shows a lot about me as a learner: I have big goals and aspirations, I reach high, and I shoot my shot, even if it means being ignored or criticized.

People and The Environment Blog Post

Response to my letter from the BC Government

The next anecdote is a recent one, about revision. For our last Maker project of the year, we made documentaries about a topic of our choice. My first idea was to make a video essay explaining why people in the modern day are so unhappy, despite our modern advancements in technology and healthcare. When I presented my topic to my teacher, I was told “This is a great idea, but what will you actually be filming?” At this moment, I had no answer. When I was planning my idea, I was thinking about what I would be discussing in my documentary, that I hadn’t even thought of what I would be showing to my audience. I spent probably around an hour just thinking about what I would film, and I had no ideas, I realized I had FAILed. I had a First Attempt In Learning. Eventually I decided to change my topic, but if I had spent more time thinking in the bigger picture, I would have changed my topic sooner, or I could have come up with something to film for my first idea. 

Documentary Screenplay

Documentary Blog Post

One of my big successes in terms of school work this year would probably be the Winter Exhibition in December. At our Winter Exhibition, we presented our Revolutions On Trial project. For this project, we studied various revolutions and argued in support or against them in the form of a trial. Our team argued for why the American Revolution shouldn’t have happened. I remember spending hours at home researching the American Revolution and assembling a detailed timeline of events to get the history aspect of this project down. After that, I decided I should research the law aspect of this project, so I naturally watched some clips from Better Call Saul, a popular TV show about an extremely corrupt lawyer. I remember spending lots of time practicing my lines so that I would be ready for the presentation. When it was time to present, and I walked up to the podium, I didn’t feel scared or nervous. I had practiced many times, so I felt pretty much nothing as I examined our witness. This is one time when I felt very committed towards a PLP project and I spent a lot of my free time working on it.

Revolutions on Trial Blog Post

Mock Trial Script

One time when a skill I learned from PLP came into use had very little to do with PLP. On the second night at our Loon Lake learning advance, 4 of the people in my cabin got very sick, and under the fear that it was the coronavirus, our cabin was placed under quarantine, and we self-isolated. At this moment, I used Personal and Social responsibility to help keep the situation under control and prevent the illness from spreading to myself and the rest of the cabin. I also showed personal responsibility at Loon Lake by managing my belongings, paying attention to my schedule, and being self-aware and acknowledging the effects of my actions in a place away from home.

Loon Lake Book

Loon Lake Blog Post

The project I learned the most in would probably be the Believe in Good project we did for Maker. For part of this project, we were assigned to read the popular self-help book “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.” This book taught me a lot about self-improvement, which is something I have been very interested in for a few months and this book sort of started my experience with self-improvement. In this project, I realized that I learned more from reflection, than from the actual reading. This has continued to be true as I write this assessment. I think I have really improved myself mentally and physically over the last few months and this book was like the spark that lit the self-improvement fire. I am certain that I will remember this book and the lessons I learned from it, and I will continue to apply these habits in my life. After we read a section of the book, we did a reflection activity and workbook, including a final assessment. These reflections were hard, but I realized that no matter what grade I got on my final product, it would mean nothing compared to what I learned. 

7 Habits Blog Post

I believe I am ready to move on to PLP 10. I believe that the examples I have provided in my presentation have demonstrated my abilities, capabilities, successes, and areas of improvement as a learner. My work has proven my readiness to advance to grade 10 because through my ambition, hard work, dedication and proficiency being accomplished or extending in every project and assignment.