Position: Science Facilitator Assistant
Reports to: Managers, Visitor Experience
Science World British Columbia is a charitable organization that, through science and nature, ignites wonder and empowers dreams.
Under the direction of the Visitor Experience staff, you will perform a range of duties at TELUS World of Science, all designed to make our visitors’ experience spectacular! This is a great opportunity to develop your customer service and communication skills, while at the same time learning a bit more about science. Past volunteers have spoken of how much the placement helped them to grow their confidence, and in turn has developed their leadership skills. Volunteering at Science World gives you the chance to grow your workplace skills in a nurturing and supportive environment.
We require our talented work experience volunteers to commit to a minimum of 80 hours over the course of their 15-day placement period. For the most part, you can choose the ten days you can work out of the 15-day period, as we understand that flexibility is important to achieve work/life/school balance! This commitment means that some days of school (a minimum of four) must be missed for placements that occur outside of school break periods.
• Provide our customers with friendly, fun, awesome, wow, and memorable experience.
• Positively influence attitudes towards science, technology, and creative thinking by performing gallery demonstrations, and explaining exhibits.
• Enhance the customer experience through science games, activities and “magic” tricks.
• Ensure a safe, clean, secure environment for our customers.
• Assist with security measures and lost child processes.
• Assist with school group entry and direction.
• Checking tickets of visitors entering the OMNIMAX Theatre.
• Assist in the smooth operation of all ancillary services.
• Free admission to Science World over the course of your placement
• 25% discount at our food vendors and science store over the course of your placement
• After successfully completing 80 hours of volunteer service, you will receive two free passes to visit us in the future.
• Professional development in the form of “Zingers” (further mini training sessions that take place during the placement; not applicable to students volunteering during school break periods).
• Candidates who successfully complete the program will be invited to apply for a paid summer job in the summer following their placement. Please note that this is highly competitive, and we typically receive many more applications than we have positions available.
• Work experience volunteers must be at least 16 years old.
• A desire to work with children/the public.
• A love of science is an asset.
For more information click on this link: https://www.scienceworld.ca/hswe/
If you are interested in getting Work Experience Credits over Spring Break this is a great opportunity. I have one spot reserved but have to give it up by March 6th, so if you are interested please come see Ms. Bramley right away.