About my StarWars mini blue sky project 

YouTube: Simon E

Link to my other blog post about this: About Mazer Tag

Hey guys! My name is Simon and welcome to my blog post. Today I will be talking about my blue ski StarWars project. I’ll also explain what a blue ski project is, the competencies we were accessed on, and the different steps of this project, or as we like to call them, milestones.  I’ll also be explaining what I did in this project, a well as the driving questions. Let’s get into it. 

What is a blue sky project?

A blue sky project is a project where you find yourself a question and answer it through the creation of a product. This could be a tangible product, a virtual one, a piece of art, a feat of engineering or even an event. The question you need to answer is a “How Might We” question. A “How Might We” question could he a sense of wonder at a process, the awareness of a problem or a sense of empathy towards a group. My “How Might We” was “How Might We design the best Star Wars plane?” 

What was the driving question?

How might I design and build an answer to my own inquiry? My inquiry was how might I design the best ship for Star Wars. To build my result, I had to begin by understanding my own question. I needed to learn how to use 3d design apps, I needed to learn about aerodynamics. And I needed to understand how they could be improved. The design part was the most fun.  I got to apply all the real-world physics I had learnt to the design f my ship. One of my goals was to make my result as practical as humanly possible. This led me to fret over details until the very last second. I made sure the landing gear was as realistic as it could be. I gave the wings the realistic shape as well as wingtips, which are important to reduce the pressure differences from the bottom of the wing to the top of the wing. So how might I design and build an answer to my own inquiry? Through trial and error, through researches, through feedback and through persistence.

What is my milestone 1?

In my milestone 1, I go over the description of the first phase as well as my brainstorm. I go over the HMW questions, as well as a few specific details.

What is my milestone 2?

In my milestone 2 I talk all about how I did the NTK sheet, amongst other things. I also talked about how questioning happens thought the entire project.

What is my milestone 3?

My milestone 3 talk a lot about my research and what I learnt through this project, as well as when the bulk of it was done.

What is my milestone 4?

Milestone 4 talks about my innovative designer competency. Yay! Check out my video on it.

What is my milestone 5?

Milestone 5? Prototype creations!

What is my milestone 6?

How did I fail? Failure is important. Without failure, you can’t expand. In my list I made, you can see there are way more fails then successes. But next time, I might have twice as many fails, but also twice as many sucesses.

What were my competencies?

The first competency we were assessed on was Innovative Designer. You can watch my video I’m an innovative desinger. This is the definition. 

• Students use a variety of technologies within a design process to identify and solve problems by creating new, useful or imaginative solution.

What that means, for me, is the we use all our tools to create an elevated and unique product. I showed this when designing my 3D model. I used several different modelling apps, as well as different designs based off planes and starwars ship alike.

The next competency is Computational Thinker. Here’s the definition.

• Students develop and employ strategies for understanding and solving problems in ways that leverage the power of technological methods to develop and test solutions

What this means to me, is we use our wits, new strategies, technology, as well as trial and error to understand and solve our problems. I also showed this in my 3D model, which was my biggest challenge. I had to create a unique shape for the wings. I also had to identify the different classes of ships and each of the components they all share, and many other things. I used my technology and my ability to take feedback and a couple other things to overcome these physical challenges.

The last competency is the Creative Communicator. This came into effect the night we had to present our final product. This competency was creative communicator. Here’s the definition

• Students communicate clearly and express themselves creatively for a variety of purposes using the platforms, tools, styles, formats and digital media appropriate to their goals.

To me, this means we think as creatively as we can to creat an attracting and creative piece of digital work to showcase our learning. I showed this in my keynote. In my keynote I showcased the different steps, several drafts of my product and my failures. Through that I was able to show people what I learnt in a creative and interesting way.