Chemistry coding

Special thanks to:

Hello, and welcome to the chemistry coding blog post. I found this to be a challenging project, because halfway through, something called an MPOL, happened. Feel free to check out my other blog post on that here. Some of my social problems were addressed and through some insight, part of my mindset was revealed. It impacted me greatly through this project, many because this was something I had struggled with for several years. The only reason I mention this is to thank mister Gross, who was my teacher for this project and helped me tremendously when it came to my social skills. My mother also helped me, so thank you to her. And my classmates as well. Thank you to all.

What was the project?

This project was called chemistry coding and revolved around the kinetic molecular theory. To learn more about the KMT, click here. But, to put it crudely, it is the idea that all matter is made up of tiny particles or atoms, which have four different states of matter (liquid, solid, gas and plasma) and as they heat up, they build energy and start to move. Their are also several models of atoms, each with their own famous creator. The newest model is the Quantum Model, made by Mr. Ernest Schrödinger. In this project, we had to

• learn about the KMT as well as things like density, mass and volume
  • make a scratch program/game to simulate and show the KMT
  • Follow he competencies

The competencies

Questioning and predicting: Students show a sustained intellectual curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest

I find that this is a competency about the devotion to our projects. One of the criteria for it is “students use all class time for learning without distraction”. By the end of the project I was showing this, but at the beginning, I was barley capable of not disrupting. This relates to my social skills that I mention in the special thanks and how they improved for the project. I feel that through showing this in well at the end of the project, I deserved the grade I got.

Scientific communication: communicating ideas, findings, and solutions to problems using scientific language, representations and digital technologies

This competency has to do with the scratch program, which is linked here. I followed the criteria set forth, which is “several different molecules, different states of matter, and particle motion are represented in the finished product. A historical model of the atom is chosen and implemented” I feel very proud of my work through this project. My concept was not done by anybody else in this class, I felt confident in my code, I showed the different states of matter properly and incorporates many atoms and molecules, all of which were accurate to a certain model. I chose the dalton model.

Reasoning and analyzing: use logic and patterns (including coding) to solve puzzles and play games

I found this competency to be about the interactiveness of the scratch game. If it was simply a video that played out, it was not interactive at all. My simulation started off with the atoms changing states of matter and once the gas stage was reached, the game would start. After the game was over, the game give you a little quiz on how the KMT works. On top of that, the controls were easy to use. I feel like this was an easy game to use and understand and I’m extremely pleased with how it turned out.

Driving question and my answer

The driving question is how is particle motion related to temperature. Well, particle motion is related to temperature by the fact that as the temperature rises, so does the amount of stored energy inside the particle. It is energy’s  that makes the particles move and energy can be heat. Heat given off my a stove is energy and it agitates and increases the energy of the particles, so, if their was a pot with water on the aforementioned stove, the energy of the water molecules would increase and the water molecules would start to change their arrangement, from liquid to gas.

thank you for reading and thanks to everyone.