Workplace Safety

Workplace safety is a very important topic because there are over five thousand workers injured in the work place every year. These are not just broken arms and stitches but people it includes people breaking their backs and becoming paralyzed. So in PLP 10 we talked about some of the ways that you can get injured and how to prevent them. This part of the class that we call Maker time was split into two parts. We will start with part one.  We took a quiz that asked questions such as “Have you done a safety questionnaire for your job?” Some of the other questions were “Did you get any work training when you started?” After we finished the quiz we moved onto watching a video that told us four stories of how people got injured on the job. Some of the people had serious injures that could have been prevented if they had used common sense like not putting your hand near sharp objects. Other injuries were just some people not communicating very well for example, a person driving a forklift dropped something on a co-worker.  After hearing about the terrible things that happened to these people we moved on to the next section of part one which was to pick a workplace safety video from a local business. I chose Grouse Mountain and their safety video consisted of teaching the new employee how to use all of the work equipment and how long the training would take before you were qualified to use the equipment.

Now let’s move on to the second part of the work assignment. Part two consisted of three sections.   Let’s start with section one which consisted of copying answers from another page to show that you read the information and that you understood it. Section two was to help you understand that if you don’t feel safe in the work environment then you can refuse to continue to work there and you have to go talk to your supervisor.  Last but not least, section three looked at hazardous workplaces and we took notes on what the hazards were in these workplaces.  Some examples included leaving something combustible on a   cooktop surface, and climbing on a ladder while reaching too high to grab something. Overall I will take everything that I have learned and I will apply them to my Job and hopefully this will help me stay safe.