Winter story telling Exhibition

Every year in PLP, we as a cohort, have two exhibitions or ‘super bowls’ of the calendar year for PLP. This year the Grade 10 cohort had a mission different from anything that we had set out to do before. The PLP 10 class collaborated with the PLP 12 class to find amazing stories and document them so they will never be forgotten. The Grade 12 class had a draft of sorts to decide which one of the grade 10’s they wanted. My partener turned out to be Jayden. I knew Jayden already because we play on the same senior basketball team.

The Grade 10’s job in this project was to be the recorder as well as the editor for the podcast. The Grade 12’s side of the project was to be the producer or the DRI (directly responsible individual) of the project. The project was to create 3 podcasts that would later be turned into a series.

The first podcast that we had to make was about our grade 12’s. I asked Jayden a question and I sat back and listened. Jayden ended up telling this great story about how he and his friends were down in Atlanta in a baseball tournament. They were hungry so they went to get something to eat and the rest of the story is told in the podcast linked below.

The second podcast involved another interview but with a family member. I interviewed my sister and asked her a question. Her story was about the time she was on the starting line as her senior girls basketball team won Provincials last year. She talked about how much basketball really had a positive impact on her life and what she learned.

The last podcast is where the exhibition came into play. For the exhibition we took over a classroom and transformed it from a boring old classroom to a living room type atmosphere. There were fewer rooms than groups so we had to double up. Jayden and I went with another group who was made up of Simon and Zakk. By the time people start to come into the exhibition, we had finished our magnificent room that we liked to call the ‘man cave’. While the exhibition was on Jayden’s job was to go and get people to interview. By the end of the night I had interviewed 3 people. Two of these people I already knew and one I hadn’t met before.  First off I interviewed my friend Sam’s dad Curt. Curt had some great stories to tell about his childhood as well as sam’s childhood.  Curt talked about the time when he was a kid, he and his family travelled around eastern Canada in an RV. The cool thing is that Curt is taking his family on the same road trip this year. Next I talked to another one of my friends parents Julia.  Julia is Adam’s mom Julia told the story of how she was in an airport in BC and she had to get down to Vancouver for work the next day but she couldn’t fly because of the really bad weather conditions. Julia along with two other strangers decided to rent a car and drive 5 hours in white-out conditions. In hindsight Julia said that it was not the best decision due to the danger of the situation. Lastly I interviewed Matty. Matty was one of my teachers friends. Matty told me about her childhood and growing up in Vancouver. After all of the interviews were done it was time to choose one of them and make it into the final podcast. I ended up choosing Julia’s interview as the final podcast.

I thought that this was a really interesting and fun assignment to do. I thought that it was a cool experience to wrk with an older grad on the same project. Everyone has a story to tell and by recording the stories, they can be remembered for generations and generations to come.