Chemistry Coding (REFLECTION POST)

GAME AT BOTTOM OF PAGE
⌨️⌨️⌨️⌨️⌨️⌨️⌨️⌨️⌨️⌨️⌨️⌨️⌨️⌨️⌨️⌨️⌨️⌨️⌨️⌨️⌨️⌨️⌨️⌨️⌨️⌨️⌨️⌨️⌨️

INTRODUCTION💬:
Hello world, it’s me. Sylas, and I’m back with another Scimatics blog! I forgot to tell you, welcome to Quarter 4! The last Quarter of my grade 8 experience. I’m happy to be presenting our first project in Scimatics Q4! I’m always excited to bring you these Scimatics blogs as Scimatics is my favourite class! If you don’t know already how our projects work in PLP, well. To start things off, our teacher always introduces a new driving question. What is a driving question, you may ask? Well, a driving question is a question that is designed to DRIVE our project forward. The more and more work we do, the closer we get to answer our driving question! To answer a driving question is no easy task, and it takes weeks to even get near answering it. So, we have something called milestones which are little projects designed to get us one step closer to answering the driving questions. We also have stepping stones, which aren’t as crucial as milestones, but they are there to give us an answer to a milestone, but I won’t be going much into our stepping stones. Now back to the driving question, our driving question for this project was: How can the behaviour of matter be explained by the kinetic molecular theory and the atomic theory? Now, let’s move onto the work that gets us close to answer the driving question. The Milestones!

MILESTONES💎:
Our first Milestone for this project was: Project Start Mind Map. From past experiences in Scimatics, our teacher usually likes to start projects by doing a Mind Map. What’s a mind map? A mind map is a collection of little thoughts or questions we can ask ourselves to make us stay on track whenever we have run out of ideas or questions. In my opinion mind maps are a very important part of projects. Here is a picture of my mind map:

Lets move onto milestone 2! Milestone 2 was called: Atomic Models. Now, I haven’t told you this yet, but basically we are trying to design a game that we would code through a program called Scratch. We would design the game based on our driving question. And for the Atomic Models milestone we had to make models of atoms and molecules and had to show what model it was and who made it. For example, one of my atoms was a Nitrogen Atom, and it was based on Bohr’s Atomic Model. Here is a picture of my Atomic Models:

Lets move onto Milestone 3. Milestone 3 was called: Atomic Theory Test. Now the Test was not the hardest milestone, in fact it was really just there to see if we have even learned anything about the project were doing, after all we do need to know our math. Milestone 3 was also there to give the teacher some insight on what we have learned so far and if we know enough knowledge to understand the rest of the project.

Now for Milestone 4: Programming Plan. For MS4 we had to make a detailed description of what we want our game to look like. We had to list all the Features our game would have, How the player interacts with the game, and finally how the KMT (Kinetic Molecular Theory) was included. Here is a picture of the list of features I wanted my game to have.

GAME🕹:
Now finally! MS5, the hardest milestone! Milestone 5 was called Scratch Coded Applet. MS5 we had to code our game, we had around 4 days to code it, and that may seem like quite a while, but when it comes to coding it can seem like only hours. It can sometimes take years for people to code one little game, but thanks to the massive help of Scratch I got it in on time. And boy did it feel good! Now, here is my game:

Game Information:

Welcome to Gas vs Solid, a two player interactive game! To play this game, you must have two people! One person is trying to turn the liquid into a solid, and the other player is trying to turn it into a gas.
___________________________________________________
Instructions:
Gas controls: PRESS 0 KEY.

Solid controls: PRESS 1 KEY.
Goal:
Your goal is to beat your friend by getting 100 clicks. First to 100 clicks wins! Click as fast as you can!

Hidden features:
Press the N key to make the water molecules nitrogen atoms.

Game Notes:

Notes:
Please note, non of the music in this game is mine, and all of it belongs to its respectful owners. All music is Non-Copyright.

Easter Eggs:

R key: Press the R key to get a taste of Rick Roll.
B key: Press the B key to get the bomb dropped!
NOTE: MUST HAVE KEYBOARD TO PLAY GAME.

(If you want to check out my code for the game, you can click the “See inside” button to view it, sadly I cant put all of the code photos in here as it would bore you from the amount of code there is so you can see it for yourself by going to the Scratch Website and typing in my project name in the search bar)

Now, for the last Milestone! Milestone 6! Milestone 6 is called: Arcade Day. Arcade day was the Milestone we got to present our work to the class! This was the day we had all been waiting for, the day we would get to show our work to our entire class. What we would do is set up our iPad, and let people come around and play our games or simulators. We also had to do our blog post which you are reading at this very moment!

CURRICULAR
COMPETENCIES☀️:
Questioning and Predicting:
I belive I did an accomplished job at Questioning and Predicting. Questioning your work can be really tough, but I believe I pulled off an accomplished job on this Competency. Why? Well, I would make sure to remind myself to question my work, I would say “What can I do to make this better?” Or “How can I extend my learning skills on this project”. For example: One time I was coding, I didn’t quite understand something while coding, so I questioned if I should go back and review the subject, which I ended up doing. Predicting, I think I did good at this as-well, maybe not extending, but from my point of view I think I did an accomplished job. Why? Well, for instance: At the start of this project I new I was about to go through a lot of hard work. And I predicted I would have to review some subjects to get a better point of view on something, and I did. I also predicted that I would have to learn to work more independently, and this really prepared me for what was to come.

Scientific Communication:
I think I did an accomplished job at this competency. The reason for this is because I put a lot of time and effort into my game to make it communicate the idea of atoms and molecules through scientific communication. For example: While I was coding my game, I had a thought that I wanted to make a  scientifically accurate visual representation of what atoms and molecules are.

Reasoning and Analyzing:
I think I did an extending job at this competency, why you may ask? Well, I went on YouTube, and look at many different coding tutorials, and I feel like Ive extended this skill by showing it through my game. For example: At the start of coding my game, I reviewed and went back and used many pieces of logic and learning I’ve used over class, and used that to build my game, and solve puzzles.

OUTRO💯:
Now, its time for my answer to the driving question: How can the behaviour of matter be explained by the kinetic molecular theory and the atomic theory? Well, as it turned out, The Kinetic Molecular Theory explains how the behaviour of matter is made up of particles that are constantly moving. All particles have energy, but the energy varies depending on the temperature the sample of matter is in. This in turn determines whether the substance exists in the solid, liquid, or gaseous state. And the Atomic Theory determines the behaviour of matter are determined by the shape of its atoms. … Thus, atoms determine the composition of matter, and compounds can be broken down into their individual elements. This shows how the behaviour of matter can be explained by the kinetic molecular theory and the atomic theory. In conclusion this project was a blast and I learned many important skills, like how to code! I thank you for checking out the first Scimatics Quarter 4 blog and ill see you in the next one!