Scimatics! (Chemistry Stories)

Introduction:

Hello everyone, welcome back to another blog post. Today I’m going to be talking about my most recent Scimatics project Chemistry Stories. Now Scimatics has been rough lately, as Im more of a math person and this project was a bit more “Science” based. For this project we needed to make an animation on covalent and ionic bonds. This project was “very” difficult, and thats an understatement. Now some people may have found this project interesting, or fun, but this one was quite difficult, for many different reasons. Lets move on to the Milestones.

Milestones:

Milestone 1: For MS1 we obviously started with a mind map, as we usually start our projects with a mind map. Now this mind pad was the exact same as our last project mind map’s. For this mind map we needed to include Personal Questions on the project, Questions we wrote from our whiteboards, and Thoughts on our project so far. Thats it for Milestone 1.

Milestone 2: Now there was not really a Milestone 2 nor a Milestone 3, not sure why but for this reason I’m just going to guess on what I think was Milestone 2. So for Milestone 2 we had to do an Investigation 2-A animation Copy. Now for this Milestone we needed to make a short animation representing lab safety and how important it is. We also needed to show the procedure for the upcoming lab experiment we did. Milestone 2, done.

Milestone 3: Like I said beforehand, there wasn’t really a Milestone 3, so I’m just going to guess. So for Milestone 3 we needed to do a Lab 2A Write-Up, now this connects to what I was just talking about in Milestone 2, where we had to make an animation showing the procedure. For this though, we needed to do a lab write up on our lab experiment we did, showing what we hypothesized before the experiment, and etc…

Milestone 4: For MS4 we needed to make a story board for our animation, now this I could have done better on, mostly because I forgot to include both ionic and covalent bonds in my story board, which was indeed, a requirement. So room for improvement on the story board aspect. In general I think I could have been a bit more focused and enthusiastic while doing my work in general. 

Milestone 5: Now for our last milestone, our animation, for this we needed to make a story, about an ionic bond, and a covalent bond, not much else to say really. So I’m just going to leave an embed so you can check it out for yourself: 

Conclusion:

In conclusion to this project, I can confidently say this was one of the hardest Scimatics

projects ever done. I suck at drawing, I always have, and making an animation is really really hard, therefore I had some late nights doing homework. Overall though I got the project done and finished and I’m proud of the work I’ve accomplished. Now its time for my answer to the driving question: “How do the election arrangements of atoms determine the chemical and physical properties of elements and compounds?” Well, chemical properties of each element are determined by the element’s electronic configuration and particularly by its outermost valence electrons. In addition, the total number of electron shells an atom determines which period it belongs to. Thank you for tuning into our last Scimatics blog for semester 1, and Ill see you in semester 2.