PLP Application Process

2016/17 PLP Application Process
Written by: Tamara S. Lee

If I am remembering correctly, it was the summer of 2015. My sister, mum and I were going swimming at a outdoor pool with some friends. The friend and I for some reason ended up walking laps around the pool talking about school, swimming, marshal arts and siblings. Under the school category: “its a program offered at Seycove called the flight/PLP program” he told me. He explained why it was and all that kind of stuff and by the end of our trip to the pool I was very intrigued with this PLP program.

A few days later at about 7:30am I was laying in bed with my ipad looking at the PLP website. Learning more about the program and what they did in it;
The trips, the out-of-classroom learning, the projects, the way that the program used iPads, stuff like that. I bet I didn’t think at that time that I would have to go through such a process to get in and actually get in with 3 other elementary school friends.

During the school year of 2016 I was going to all sorts of going-into-grade-8 talks and things and after going to one of the talks at one of the other North Van secondary schools I was walking through stands and things in one of the cafeterias or something, when I saw a table with a sign next to it: PLP- said one of the signs. Right away my mum pushed me over to it and we talked to one of the people got an information booklet and was on my way to look at the Dance Academy booth (again something I am currently doing. The Academys are for people who want to do one sport instead of PE). After going to the PLP information night I was already determined to get in.

Soon the time for making my Application was here. Time to spend weeks working on, doing heaps of drafts on and having my parents critique my 8 questions, AND to spend hours on a two minute video (it couldn’t be longer than 2 minutes. I think I went over by about 23 seconds). Unfortunately I no longer have my video to display as my iPad mini was wiped for my mum and I got a new ipad for the program. However I have the opening photo for it.

I used time-lapse to draw that picture then added clips of myself doing “what I like doing in my spare time” as that was the topic my video was asked to be about.

After going to a day where we went to meter all the other applicants and see the teachers as a group. 3 of my friends had also applied and we all ended up (after much hard work) getting in.

After came the interviews. Where I was asked some questions and thought some questions for the teachers myself. I wrote down the 3 questions on a piece of paper so I could use it if I forgot one of the questions. In the end I forgot the piece of paper and one of the questions. Oh well.

The day came when I got home and turned on my ipad to find my friend had texted me “Check your email the PLP results have arrived!” THE RESULTS HAD ARRIVED A DAY EARLY!
I then slowly went to my home screen and opened the notes app and closed my eyes. When I opened them I saw a e-mail: Congratulations you have been chosen for the PLP Navig8 please reply to accept.

I didnt scream or anything. I just stayed quiet then at dinner said I had good news. Then I told my family and I was very happy. I then wrote a email back accepting AND I even had my Mum check that for mistakes.

That was my PLP Application process.

{If you want to share yours, write a post like this on your blog and put it under #PLPaplicationprocess . I like reading other people stories like mine!}

The End.