Literature is a Closet Of Words [1]

“White shouldn’t be the default any more than straight should be the default. There shouldn’t even be a default.”

As Simon Spier in Simon vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda says… you know what there’s a lot of great things Simon says in the book. 

How would I know? Well, I read it. For school. As a unit assignment. It was great.

THE UNIT-

In our most recent unit, we have been reading books. We had the choices of the following books;

I chose Simon Vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda, a book about a closeted gay 16 year old boy who was being blackmailed by some jerk names Martin.

For our unit, we were to read out books, and in a group with the other people reading the same book as you, make a trailer. 

THE BOOK-

I’ll be honest I’ve read the book before. But I really liked it and wanted to see what other people reading it thought.

The book tells a story of Simon Spier, a 16 year old closeted gay boy who lives in Georgia. Simon has a secret internet crush who goes by “Blue” and when a boy named Martin reads and screenshots them, Simons life starts to fall apart. Martin blackmails Simon for a while until a big turn of events causes him to stop, in the process, forcing Simon to make a decision.

THE TRAILER-

For out trailer my group (Luca J, Maggie, Morgan, Kai, and myself) had to create a trailer based off of our book choice.

This was great- except that we only had one guy and more than once guy character. We made it work though, and in the end I was very proud of the outcome.

I’ll be honest, I’m actually really happy with the way this project came together. Maybe it’s because my voice isn’t actually in it 🙂  . 

THE END-

This book taught people about the trials of being a closeted LGBTQ+ person, and hopefully brought awareness to the everyone worldwide of how people feel in Simon’s position.

I really enjoyed it and recommend it to any young adult (and any adult) who feels the need for a cute love story and feel-good book. 

Thanks for reading!

[Part One Of: “Literature is a Closet of Words”]

[Part Two]

One thought on “Literature is a Closet Of Words [1]

1. I really like how you broke down the project in to different categories and had your blog post follow them. It made it easy to follow and understand everything you and your group did.

As well as fixing a few little spelling errors, I would suggest that you go a little deeper in your self reflection. Just expanding on your final thoughts would close out this post really well and tie everything together.

Lastly I have a question: do you think the fact that you had previously read the book helped you with creating your trailer? If so, how?

Daniel