There’s Chemistry In The Air

“I’m the match, she’s the kerosene, she’s gonna burn down everything”

Chemistry. The danger, the excitement, the colour and the flames. In our most recent unit, we have learnt all about Chemistry.

We were split into groups and each created a project based around a reaction type; Combustion, Decomposition, Acid Based Neutralization, Synthesis, and Single/Double Replacement.

My group worked on a project about Acid Based Neutralization. We created a keynote to explain our project, and presented it to a chem 11 class. 

We created our project using the following core competencies

Make observations aimed at identifying their own questions, including increasingly complex ones, about the natural world

Okay so, our project includes this competency because in our presentation we talked about how our experiment related to the real world. Our presentation was on Acid Based Neutralization, so we found examples of that in our everyday lives- we chose the human body. We talked about the acids Stomach, Saliva, and Blood as our examples. 

Select and use appropriate equipment, including digital technologies, to systematically and accurately collect and record data

This competency connects with our project by our experimental phase of learning. By that I mean that we used multiple chemicals and experimented with amounts/measurements while following safety procedure and also recording the data we found. 

Use knowledge of scientific concepts to draw conclusions that are consistent with evidence

We connected our project to this competency by creating a presentation that showed our new knowledge whilst also having an example. In our presentation we talk about what we have learnt about ABN, and show where we find it in everyday life. In the presentation we also showed a live experiment, explaining throughout what was happening, and why. We then connected the experiment to our presentation and used examples to show what makes the experiment an important part of the way we live day to day. 

Formulate physical or mental theoretical models to describe a phenomenon

This final competency connects to our project through our use of a live experiment in our presentation. We use our experiment as an explanation of how ABN works, and we showed it live to an audience to show and explain our theory/knowledge of how ABN works, while finalizing the presentation with our examples. 

The beginning and The End

At the beginning this is what I knew about chemistry, all the words and ideas I had learnt from past units-

And this is what I’ve learnt-

Thanks for reading!