If only I could go back in time…

The school year is quickly coming to a close and now is the time to finish up our projects and begin reflecting on our year. PGP (Personal Growth Plan) was a new course introduced into this years PLP curriculum. This course helped us learn important skills which we will take with us throughout the rest of our lives.

All PLP students were assigned the end of year Time Machine project. Click on the box below to learn about the project:

The Time Machine was a project where we could create anything we wanted to depict the most significant thing we learned during our year in PGP. It may have been an interpretive dance, sculpture, drawing, book, skit or anything else you could think of. I chose to create a digital children’s book where the main character learned an important lesson from her new friend, that had moved in next door to her. I interpreted the most important things I felt I learned from PGP this year into my book by having the main character learn those lessons from her new friend.

Read my digital children’s book below through a video on YouTube:

Before I get into to much detail let me explain what the PGP course is all about. Its a course for us as students to learn how to set goals and actively achieve them. We have learned crucial skills to working with others, being proactive, setting goals and more. One huge thing everyone has learned this year is the importance of having multiple perspectives. The idea of having multiple views on something and not creating a single story perspective. For example, if you were put into a group project with someone you didn’t really know but a friend of yours told you that the person was really annoying and they didn’t like them. You would probably go into that project with a fixed and negative mindset towards them. Before even working with the person you’ve already created a paradigm towards them based off of someone else’s opinion.

PGP has taught us the importance of looking at things from multiple perspectives and having a more positive mindset. 

We started our year off reading a book called “A guide for teens What do you really want? How to set a goal and go for it!” by Beverly K. Bachel.

While reading the book we completed book forms that helped us to comprehend what we were reading and set our own goals to achieve in the future. Later on in the year we read a book called “The seven habits of highly effective teens” by Sean Covey.

During this book we also completed similar book responses, however these responses had us go a little more in depth and really think about what we were learning. These are some of the book responses I did as well as other fun assignments:

After reading “The seven habits of highly effective teens” we were given the Time Machine Project. I knew that the last habit from the book, “Renewal” and specifically “Sharpen the saw” was the part/habit I wanted to focus on because it was the most important thing I felt I learned in PGP this year. 

This course has given me many new skills and resources that I have learned to use to keep me more organized, such as the apps “things” and “calendar.” I was certainly hesitant at the beginning of this course but I have been given so many resources that impacted my school and personal life by keeping me more organized and am very glad that I was given this opportunity to take this course.