About Me…

Hi I’m Taylor, this is my Learning Portfolio Blog for school. I’m a high school student in a program called PLP which stands for Performance Learning Program. It’s a project based program where we do mostly group work which gives us the opportunity to learn and grow as individuals and with each other. In PLP we have one class for each grade and stick together in every different subject we learn. We still do all of the subjects math, science, humanities and digital literacy, but instead of learning from text books we go on field studies, and do projects so we can learn how to apply our knowledge from the classroom to the real world. In fun creative ways we learn to think outside the box in projects and team building exercises, PLP is a place of reading, writing, hard work and lots of fun!

Now that I’ve told you a bit about PLP. I’ll tell you a few things about me. 

First Of all your probably wondering about my tag line and what sport I do? Well, I ski race. I’ve been skiing ever since I was two years old and started to race with Grouse Mountain Tyee Ski Club when I was eight years old. I’m fourteen now so I’ve been with the club for quite some time now. Growing up where I do has definitely influenced my desire to spend as much time doing what I do, being surrounded by incredible mountains. However it’s always been a family activity. My mom, my dad and my older sister and I used to drive up to Whistler Mountain every single weekend of my childhood to go skiing. I loved skiing with my family.

When my sister was ten she told my parents she wanted to ski race. Of course my parents were happy to put her in ski racing seeing as it was something they enjoyed as well. Being eight I didn’t even realize there was such a thing but I thought I’d give it a try too. So my sister and I were enrolled in the club. As new members of the club it was not what we expected. Or at least it was not what I expected. Little did I know that ski racing would change my life. It started to become a huge part of my life and still is and is something that once your in, the connections you make with the people there, you’ll have for life. The families and people involved in the club have become some of my best friends and my parents best friends.

Being as committed to my sport as I am is definitely a bit of a challenge it’s school, however it’s given me and is teaching me valuable life skills. I have learned the importance of prioritizing, not procrastinating, overcoming obstacles, being a good sport, and hard work. During workouts with my ski team or group projects at school. I learn through the people on my teams and they learn through me. 

As I get older there’s more travel involved in skiing. I have the incredible opportunities to travel to new places doing the thing I love. I travel with my teammates and coaches who is have gotten to know and have built connections with. 

Although it seems like the only thing I do it ski, I enjoy doing other things as well. Such as sailing on my family’s boat, bouldering, playing guitar around a campfire, hanging out with my amazing friends and family or hiking with my crazy dog. love animals and I have a lot of them. Two cats, a dog and a fish.

In school and in sport I have learned the value of being part of a team. It can sometimes get difficult, but they are the people that you learn with and from. They’re the ones that you’ll always be there for and they’ll always be there for you.

This blog shows my journey through school and sport while expressing the person I am and who I’ll become.