🌲What Can We Learn From The Past And Why Does That Matter To Us Today?🌲

Hello and welcome back to the forest of learning! Today I will be sharing with you my process of learning about Renaissance and Medieval times, and eventually creating a meme to present in an online virtual exhibition! So let’s get started.

As always we followed the project path throughout the course of the project:

After being introduced to the project, We started off with some Need To Knows (questions we need to know) to boost our curiosity. We sorted them into product, process and content. Overtime as we gained more knowledge, and answered them all. Here is how our board looked like in the beginning:

After asking some questions we needed to get introduced to what worldview is. Worldview in simplicity, is just how you look at the world. Your worldview is like a lens over your eye, you don’t even realize that it’s there. Your worldview effects the way you act, speak, and dress! The worldview that most people in North America have is something called a western worldview. Everyone is influenced by this worldview, but not everyone chooses to live by it. An example of a western worldview belief is; in order to have a comfortable life you need money. 

After learning a bit about the western worldview, we were also introduced to the 7 aspects of worldview which are: Beliefs, Geography, Knowledge, Society, Economy, Values, and Time. Each of these aspects make up your worldview.

To expand on that, we created a brainstorm where we attempted to understand and establish our own individual worldview using all 7 aspects: 

After we started establishing our own worldview, we were introduced to the meme and museum part of the project. We were using the meme “How it started -vs- How it’s going” and we created a museum room showing off our meme. We included artifacts, art, and colours that all tie into our meme and have meaning behind each of them.

Here was my room:

Now, it was time to expand more on our own worldview! For milestone 2 we created a collage consisting of photos and art representing our individual worldview. We had to tie the photos to the 7 aspects of worldview and try to represent our very own worldview through our images. I personally believe this collage really represents me being an empowered learner. I spent a lot of time using different apps and technology to make my collage express my worldview!

Here is how my collage looks like: 

Once we had finished milestone 2 we needed to learn about the Renaissance and Medieval times! We spent about a week learning about historically significant events, people, and places. Throughout our learning we took Cornell notes. What make Cornell notes different than regular old fashioned notes are mainly, after you take your notes, you write a summary of what you learned. What makes this so special is that it makes sure you understand what you learned fully, so that you can express it in your own words. We learned about Medieval and Renaissance times and it was very interesting to learn about the past. At the end of our learning, we even did a quiz to make sure that we were able to establish historical significance, I personally believe that I expressed this competency very well through my quiz, and my art.

Next, it was finally museum time! We were each assigned to one of those 7 aspects of worldview I mentioned earlier. Overtime, these groups would help us create a room in our exhibition representing one aspect of worldview. I was put into the Geography team, along with my other awesome teammates; Julia, Cale, Patrick, Mateo, Xander, and Landon. In our groups we each started to pick art from the Renaissance and Medieval times. We needed the art to also relate to our aspect of worldview; geography. 

here is the painting I chose: 

After each of us picked our art, we needed to relate our aspect (geography) to our worldview. We each wrote an argument which had to include historically significant events in the Medieval and Renaissance times that related to your aspect, as well as personally tie it to your own worldview, and explain how those events still impact your view today.

Here is my argument: 

After writing my argument, we needed to use one of these prompting questions to establish our very own definition of our aspect. Our definition would also relate to our painting later on.

Here was the definition I came up with: “The environment you live in effects the way you act, dress, speak, and behave.” 

And after writing our definition, it was now time to create our meme! Our task was to take our painting and use SuperimposeX to add ourselves, and other images that represent your definition of your aspect, as well as your very own worldview. 

Here was my first set of drafts: 

After working hard on these, I realized their wasn’t enough of the original painting in it, so I re-started and made the version I have now!

I included things to represent my aspect and definition, as well as my worldview. I chose to add Canadian animals such as a moose, beaver, and geese to replace the old animals following the saint. This is to show that the change of location is playing a role in what animals are presented in the painting. I also added a tuque on my head, ice on the lake, and snow to represent the colder environment, which in the original was non existent. I added very stereo typical Canadian things like a hockey stick to represent where I live.

After we created our memes, we went back to our teams and started working on our exhibition. Each team member was given a role to contribute to our museum exhibition. There were Art designers, Techies, writers, DRI’s (directly responsible individual), room designers, and flex members. I was given the role of the writer! Our job as writers was to create the script for the guided tour audio, which is what you hear when you take the guided tour. There are 7 rooms representing each aspect. In each room, you will hear an introduction, that is what we wrote!

Here was the script I wrote for geography:

After writing the script we also needed to finalize our memes and put them into frames. Mateo put all of our memes in the frames:

Than, it was pretty much done! All of our team members worked together to finalize and create our room, and here was the final result:

Here is the link to the museum if you would like to check it out for yourself!

⬇️ Or just check it out here! ⬇️

In reflection, this project was very fun! I really enjoyed learning about the Medieval and Renaissance times and my world view. I learned so much in this project and I really enjoyed it. So, what can we learn from the past and why does that matter to us today? well, we can educate ourselves about the past, and identify historically significant events, people, and places! In this project we created our memes, a collage, an argument, and more. All of these things individually helped contribute to our understanding of history, as well as taking those events and seeing how it effects our lives today. I worked very hard in this project, and I am so proud of myself for the work that I did. 

As always, thank you for watching me grow in the forest of

🌲learning🌲