Loon Lake Learning Advance

This year in PLP, the grades 8-9 went on the first feild study since covid, and on it, we went to loon lake: a vacation/research area with lodging and fun activities. We spent a total of four awesome days at the facility, and did things like shelter building, laser tag, archery, and more. So, without further ado, here is the post.

On the first day of the advance, we packed out bags and left for loon lake. Once we got there, we did a photo walk to observe the new place and find out some cool landmarks around there. After the photo walk, we did a scavenger hunt where we looked for little sign that marked important places, which was a fun way to learn the lay of the land.

Scavenging!

After the scavenger hunt, the long awaited moment came: we found Our cabins and who is in them. I got paired with Zach, Luca, Ben T, and Julian.

I was pretty happy with who was in my cabin, but I unfortunately got a cabin that is up on top of a hill that only contains five people, and is far away from all the action. This is unfortunate because I generally missed out on some stuff and it was also a pain to drop off or get something from my cabin.

After an amazing dinner (the chefs there are great) I (tried to) wound down with some not at all calm card games. And then went back to my cabin to sleep.

On the second day, we did shelter building for part of the day. this was a great way to practice some survival skills with friends, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Also, every morning and every night, we would participate in advisory, which is like a check in with all the students to gauge how we are feeling. Here is my advisory group:

A Troupe Of Monkeys

On the third and final full day on the advance, we did some really fun stuff, bow tag and laser tag. for me, the first half of the day was spent working on DI and the other half was bow tag and laser tag! These two activities were immensely fun and were my highlight of the trip.

And finally, on the last day of the trip, we packed up, loaded the buses and played a large game of capture the flag! This was also super fun, and lasted about 2 hours. Then we headed home, concluding the trip.

Also, this whole time, I was writing a book that documented my time at loon lake, so check that out too:

Thanks for reading my post about the loon lake learning advance! stay tuned for more, bye.