Sex Cells!

In the latest Scimatics project, I learned all about how cells reproduce through Meiosis and Mitosis, the intricacies of both, and how to show them, in order to answer the driving question: “How is the reproduction of cells essential to the survival of organisms?”. So, without further ado, here is the post.

At the start of this project, I created this mind map of what I know and what questions I have beginning the project.

Project Start Mind Map

The second milestone of this project was just completing three Tinkercad tutorials. Tinkercad is a free modeling software that we used to create 3D models of cells. Here are the final versions of my Models:

The fourth milestone was a khan academy quiz on what we learned, then it was time to create the final product, which was a narrated video that describes the process of mitosis and meiosis as well as some similarities and differences between them. Here is my final video:

Sex Cells

And, lastly, for the curricular competencies for this project.

Questioning and Predicting: Demonstrate a sustained intellectual curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest

All class time is used efficiently for learning without distractions

I think that for this project, I could’ve used my time better, because I usually worked on humanities work instead of the important scimatics work.

Planning and conducting: Collaboratively and individually plan, select, and use appropriate investigation methods, including field work and lab experiments, to collect reliable data (qualitative and quantitative)

Microscope slides of plant tissues from clones were prepared and used for photographic evidence of mitosis.

My microscope slides include all the mitosis stages clearly.

Scientific Communication: Formulate physical or mental theoretical models to describe a phenomenon

A recorded video with voice narration explains the reasons for and processes of mitosis and meiosis with accurate 3D models and Photographs. Similarities and differences are also described.

My narrated video shows accurate 3D models and the Mitosis slides, as well as clear voiceover that describes advantages and disadvantages of both types of reproduction.

Overall, I think that my final products fro this project were good, but I didn’t use my time to the fullest and some assignments were late because of it.