Time Is Money

Hello, and welcome to another post. The driving question for this project was “how can we predict our finances for the future?”. To answer this question, I created a narrated video. So, without further ado, here is the post.

The final product for this project was this narrated video:

Final video

To make this video, I combined all the milestones from this project into this video. Milestone 1 was just choosing my topic. I choose to make my business about wood puzzles.

For the second milestone, I created a spreadsheet that shows all my prices, time, and mateirials required for my business to operate.

For milestone three, I created an equation to represent my earnings.

Equation

for the final milestone (excluding the video) I created a graph that show my earnings over a span of time.

Graph

And then I combined them all together and added some spice and made the final video.

Now, for the curricular competencies.

Understanding and solving apply multiple strategies to
solve problems in both abstract and contextualized situations

All time, materials, and equipment are accounted for in the cost of making your product or performing your service.

My video includes all equipment costs and they are all factored into my math.

Communicating and representing: represent mathematical ideas in concrete, pictorial, and symbolic form

Linear equations are used to determine profit per transaction, hourly wages, and predicted NET earnings (minus deductions) over a year. Graphs are created, labeled, and explained.

I showed this competency by explaining graphs and equation throughout my video. My video contains labeled graphs, equations, and other statistics.

Connecting and reflecting: connect mathematical concepts to each other and to other areas and personal interests.

Video compares your new business to other careers and considers the value of your time, if your business can cover your costs of living/operating, and its sustainability/impact on the environment.

while my video does do this, I think it could’ve been done better by me directly comparing actual jobs rather than an average salary.