Correlation vs Causation

Hello again, back at it with another blog post this time it is on Scimatics. This Scimatics project again is on math and more specifically correlation vs causation as the title indicates.  This is our second unit for math. This unit was a shorter one but I still learned a lot in it. At first I didn’t’t know what correlation or causation was and you might not either but I will talk aboutit in the blog.

we started the unit right after the exponent laws unit. We went into class and got our first explanation on what this unit was. We got to see some very funny graphs that would teach us correlation and causation. The first was rise of ice cream sales versus shark attacks. The two data line followed the same trend but as you can tell one doesn’t cause the other. This is a good example of correlation. If two data points rise or fall in the same trend then it is correlation. Causation is where if the rise of one data point directly affects another data point. With this explanation over I’m going to talk about the first milestone.

The first milestone was a project start mind map. This mind map was to be made after a short brainstorming session on any questions we had on correlation or causation. After the brainstorming we made a mind map with all of our questions related to the subject. Here is my mind map.

The second milestone was to create our first survey. The survey topic was the same for everybody, hand length to height. This was a very cool thing because I had never done a survey with correlation and causation in mind. The results where mostly as guested higher you are the bigger your hands.

The third milestone was a quiz. We all know how quizzes go. So this milestone was shorter than the rest but it is still as important to my knowledge of the subject.

The fourth and second last milestone was to create a survey plan for our final project. Me and Ryan decided on two sides, one survey that would have a correlation and one survey that would have a correlation and a causation. Here is our overall plan

The final milestone, the final presentation. Our final project was a keynote slide show showing our final results for the survey questions you see above. We got results from almost everyone in the PLP 9 class. This is a little under what we were hoping for but it still gave us a decent size sample survey. We got to school on Halloween and gave our final presentation. If I say so myself it was pretty good. We got a B+/A for our efforts. If you want to see one group who went above and beyond for their project check out Ally T, or Megumi B. After this short but fun project we had to create a mind map to show what we learned in this unit, and to also answer the questions of our first mind map. Here is my mind map.

Here is my final project slideshow. It is put into a video for this post. Thank you very much for reading this post and I hope to see you again soon. https://youtu.be/1h2pNlxEgAE