Star Wars X Winter Exhibition

Hello again and welcome back to my blog. I am here with yet another blog post. This. One is going to be a little different as this time I am going to be cover maker and humanities in the same post. The reason for this is the two subjects used the same topic going into the winter exhibition. As the title suggests the topic for this unit is Star Wars. There are two reasons for this, first is our teachers love Star Wars, and second is when the new Star Wars comes out everyone wants to see it and why not see it as a school field trip. Anyway lets get into this blog post.

• Showing off our artifacts at presentation night
  • A sign on presentation night
  • Our stories
  • My jumbled up artifact
  • Getting ready to show off

We first learned about the Star Wars project with some hints from our teachers and it kinda is PLP tradition for the program to do a Star Wars project when a new movie in the trilogy series comes out. We got right into the project in mid-November and we had to get right to work as we had to get ready in time for the exhibition. This term for humanities ms Willemse took us and ms Maxwell took the maker teacher. The first thing we did was of course launch. This is the cycle which we will launch the project in. The first thing we learned about was the significance of Star Wars today, how does the series still draw people to it? How does disney still sell merchandise? We had to answer the questions in a properly formed paragraph.

For maker the main project is the launch journal. The first part of this journal is L for the start of LAUNCH. The purpose of this first section is to spark curiosity, look, listen, learn, find out what you want to do for your artifact. For this project the competency being assessed is “Engage in a period of research and empathetic observation in order to understand design opportunities.” I think the way is showed and understood this competency was through my research. I decided to research for a long term solution so I could do work all along the way and use materials I had at my hands. I thin that was the way I showed the competency. Here is a picture of my L stage of the launch journal.

The second milestone for humanities was still a building knowledge assignment. This assignment was a test of all the short story’s we had read over the course of the project. This was a literary analysis assignment that showed what and how we learned about the parts of a story. The competencies being assessed where “Recognize how literary elements, techniques, and devices enhance and shape meaning.” I feel I did well on the test and showed my understanding of the competency by completing the test with a good understanding of all the stories.

The second milestone for maker was LAUNCH journal phase 2 or A. For this assignment we had to Ask a ton of questions. Our task was to fill out a form called the product pitch. This was a pre-made document that we had to write our pitch for our artifact. This is when we found out what we were going to make (the project could be shifted a little).the competencies being assessed were “Identify potential users and their requirements for a chosen a design opportunity and Identify criteria for success and any constraints.” I feel that I showed these competencies by filling out my pitch form in a way that would reflect on these competencies and by coming up with a good artifact pitch first time.
For the third humanities milestone we started getting ready to make/start/brainstorm about our story’s. For this task we used our understanding of the hero’s journey to make a graphic organizer of our groups very own characters hero’s journey. This was to been done individually for your part of the story and then combined into a bigger picture that would fit all seven parts together.  There were two competencies being assessed for this mile stone, here they are. Creating and Extending Shared Understanding: Exchange ideas and viewpoints to build shared understanding and extend thinking. Literary Identification and Analysis: Recognize  how literary elements, techniques, and devices enhance and shape meaning. I think I used the first competency by asking my group mates for their opinions and ideas on my organizer. I used the second competency by using my groups feedback to shape and change my current organizer.

For the third maker milestone we had a simple task. This task was to export the first three sections of our launch journal for a simple check up after completing the third page of the journal. For the third page we had to complete/research our inquiry that we come up with in the past milestone. We had to use various sources including analyzing videos and data. The competencies we used to complete this milestone were, “Identify and use sources of information Critically analyze and prioritize competing factors, including social, ethical, and sustainability considerations, to meet community needs for preferred futures Choose an idea to pursue, keeping other potentially viable ideas open” and “ Students use a variety of technologies within a design process to identify and solve problems by creating new, useful or imaginative solutions.” The way I used the first competency was by using and analyzing various sources then citing them. The way I incorporated the second competency into my work is by using different search methods and google shortcuts and by using various internet apps to test my theories.

The fourth milestone for humanities was probably one of the harder ones. It consisted of the entire class writing a review on a Star Wars movie. These review where going to be sent to the New York Times review competition. The review was ment to go into a blog post which I link right here. We used two different competencies for this milestone. “Express an opinion and support it with credible evidence.” “Assess the justification for competing historical accounts after investigating points of contention, reliability of sources, and adequacy of evidence.”  The way I used the first competency was by showing my opinion on just the movie and not the setting is was watching it in. The way I incorporated the second competency into my work is by showing my evidence on points of contention. Here is the link to this post.
The fourth milestone for maker was an easier task but still just as important. The assignment was to make a mini video on your progress as a whole. We had to show how we were applying our knowledge to solutions. We had to show what progress we made using clips for the movies. We then had to upload it to our launch journal. We used two  competencies for this milestone. “Assess the justification for competing historical accounts after investigating points of contention, reliability of sources, and adequacy of evidence.” “Generate potential ideas and add to others’ ideas, Screen ideas against criteria and constraints ,Develop a step-by-step plan that identifies key stages and resources and carry it out, making changes as needed, Identify and use appropriate tools, technologies, and materials for production.” I used the first competency by showing and talking about my plan for the future of my artifact. I used the second competency by using clips to my advantage to make a fun video.

The next milestone for humanities was one of the biggest ones. This is the milestone where we wrote the first draft of my story. This milestone had three parts. Each part was a draft handed in. Between each draft we got peer/teacher feedback. These stories had to be good enough as a single story but also good enough for us to make them a series. We had to use this story to complete our physical object. We used three competencies for this milestone. “Transform ideas and information, using appropriate features, forms, and genres, through the writing process to plan, create, assess, and refine original, engaging, and meaningful literary and informational texts for a variety of purposes, audiences, and messages while using an increasing repertoire of conventions (Canadian spelling, grammar, and punctuation) and appropriate citations for clarity, effectiveness, and impact.” “Recognize  how literary elements, techniques, and devices enhance and shape meaning.” “Exchange ideas and viewpoints to build shared understanding and extend thinking.”  I used all of these competencies in the making of my story. I used the first one in the grammar and structure/writing of my story. I used the second one by using words to convey the setting of the Star Wars universe. I used the third competency by getting critique and using it to the fullest.

For the fifth maker milestone we had to complete/make our prototype. This was a fun milestone because we got to use all sorts of different methods to complete different types of prototypes. Our task was to complete a revision form that showed the teachers what we needed to fix. We used two competencies for the complete ting of this project. “Explore and test a variety of materials for effective use and potential for reuse, recycling, and biodegradability, Prototype making changes to tools, materials, and procedures as needed, Record iterations of prototyping, Use materials in ways that minimize waste.” “Students develop and employ strategies for understanding and solving problems in ways that leverage the power of technological methods to develop and test solutions.” I used the first competency to make my prototype in a creative way and by making changes to what I need. I used the second competency by using technology to help me make my prototypes.

The sixth humanities milestone is one of the hardest milestone yet. This milestone is to decorate our room in a way that would reflect on our stories setting. The task was to make our room/space into a space that will transport our room into a different planet. This involves painting, cutting, drawing, decorating and making. This space has to have a story flow to them and enough room to fit the grade eights and nine in. We used two competencies to do this. “Exchange ideas and viewpoints to build shared understanding and extend thinking.” “Assess the justification for competing historical accounts after investigating points of contention, reliability of sources, and adequacy of evidence.” we used the first competency by using each other’s ideas to build up our room. We used the second competency by using our research of the planet our characters story is set on to make and design our room.

Katrina_S / Pixabay

And now for the final maker milestone. This milestone is the sixth and final milestone. This milestone has to include your fail evidence. The task was to find out what is wrong with your artifact and then highlighted and fix the problem. This was good because we really looked into what was good and working and found what was failing in some parts. We used two competencies for this milestone. “Identify sources of feedback Develop an appropriate test of the prototype Conduct the test, collect and compile data, evaluate data, and decide on changes Edit based on feedback from critiques Iterate the prototype or abandon the design idea”. “Students develop and employ strategies for understanding and solving problems in ways that leverage the power of technological methods to develop and test solutions”. I feel I used the first competency by seeing and hearing feedback on what was wrong and by abandoning an idea completely and using a different one. And I used the second competency by understanding the problem and the testing new solutions.

And now for the final and very last milestone of the post. The humanities milestone that is present and reflect. For this milestone we had to create a room environment and show our launch cycle to the public. We also had to bring food and drinks in for the guests. We used four competencies for this milestone. “Exchange ideas and viewpoints to build shared understanding and extend thinking.” “Exchange ideas and viewpoints to build shared understanding and extend thinking.” “Express an opinion and support it with credible evidence” “Assess the justification for competing historical accounts after investigating points of contention, reliability of sources, and adequacy of evidence.” I feel I used all of these to create a environment that would transport people to a different place on the night of the exhibition.

Thank you for reading my blog. I think this blog really made me reflect on how I used the competencies to complete a meaningful project and presentation. And now here is my launch journal. The video that encompasses the maker journey of this project.