Metaphor Machines!

Hello and welcome back to my blog post. Today is another Scimatics post on the latest unit. The title may be a little misleading but it is a science project on electricity. This was a group project that saw the class divided into groups of three. In my group was Anthony and Liam. The driving question for this unit was “how can we represent the scientific method?”What factors Affect the function and the efficiency of electrical circuits?  The task for this project was to create a Rube Goldberg style metaphor machine that used electricity in circuits and represented the scientific method. Now lets get into the project start and end mind map.

Here is my project start mind map. As you can see in the image of it down below it is really small and I have no clue about anything.

As you can see in the project end mind map I increased my knowledge of the big idea in this project. I leaned about electrical circuits and the scientific method. I think that the big idea is a good way to help us learn what we need to as we have a basic idea of what we need to learn. Here is my project end mind map.

There were quite a few competencies being assessed for this project so I will tell you about ones that I thought I used the best and the ones that I didn’t use.

Milestone two used one competency that I though I actually used In the completion of the task. The competencies assessed was: Planning and conducting: Select and use appropriate equipment, including digital technologies, to systematically and accurately collect and record data. The task for this project was to explore simple circuits and complete a lab workbook to hand into Showbie. I think I used this competency by recording and selecting the rights tools to make two circuits and finish the workbook.

In milestone three there was a competency that I feel I didn’t use to the fullest extent. The competency was: reasoning and analyzing: estimate reasonably. The task for this project was to complete a khan academy quiz and hand it in to showbie. I feel that I didn’t use this competency because it wasn’t (I felt necessary) and because I just did need to use it in the doing of the task.

I think that the competency that I still need to improve on is: Planning and conducting: Select and use appropriate equipment, including digital technologies, to systematically and accurately collect and record data. Even though I used this competency multiple times quite well I fell that for some of the milestones I should have used it more to create a very good final product for that milestone.

Well that is it for this post. I feel that I learned a lot in this project. Electricity is a really interesting subject that can have lots of real life applications. Thank you for reading and if you are interested here is our final video product.