TPOLS!

Hello and welcome to my blog. Today as you may have guessed by the title it is that time of year again, TPOLS. TPOLS are a presentation of learning given from me the student to the teacher about the year of learning. This could be anything from what you enjoyed to what you excelled in. So without further ado let us get into the post.

One project that I really thought was fun and enjoyable was the Star Wars project. This was a maker/humanities project but they have different end products. The driving question for this project was “how might we build an interactive exhibit which explains the hero’s journey.” The final product for this project was on December 19 a group would bring a room to life using designs and ideas from the Star Wars universe. Before December 19 we would also create a seven part story in our groups. Each story was to be a chapter in a larger story. We used many competencies to bring this amazing process to life and if you want full detail of this entire process here is a link to my blog on the project as a whole. I think the reason this was so enjoyable was because the end product was fun (exhibition) and the topic was also enjoyable.

One of the projects I excelled in was this land is us. This was a video project that was based around the Alberta field school.

This project was mostly a joint humanities/maker project and it was a fun one. We followed the same process as always, launch, build knowledge, develop and critique and then present and reflect. Expect this project is based around the Alberta field school. Here is the link to my blog post on this unit if you want in depth coverage on the project. The driving question for this project is “how does place impact who we are.” The end product for this project is a research based video on how a certain group is affected by the driving question. For my group I was wildlife. The competency that we where assess on for the final project was, SS: Compare and contrast continuities and change for different groups of people at the same time period. ENGL: Demonstrate speaking and listening skills in a variety of formal and informal contexts for a range of purposes. I feel I used those competencies by creating a meaningful video that reflected and answered the driving question.

One project that I feel I could have used the competencies and my skill set better was the D.I regionals project. This project was a little less based around the competencies but we still used one or two of them. I think the reason that I didn’t do well was because our group didn’t use time effectively and I think that we also didn’t have the best chemistry. The competencies weren’t being assessed this project so I felt that I had less reference material.

Now that we have talked about some of my project this year I want to talk a little about some of the things I have learned and how I have done on my goals. I think that the most valuable thing I learned this year was not a random fact or piece of info. I think that the most important thing that I have learned was the importance of work ethic. I learned this from PGP. The reason why I think this is important is that work ethic is extremely valuable in every stage if your life. If you have good work ethic you have more time to rest.

One thing that I want to improve on in the coming year is my mindset. I feel that I always go into projects with a negative mindset. I think that all work is not as engaging as I’d want it to be and I should postpone it to watch YouTube or play games. I think that if I changed that mindset that I would go get work done a lot better and faster. I also think that having a better mindset when going into work will have a positive effect on the rest of my life. I feel that if I have a positive mindset going into the boring parts of the day I will have a positive mindset going into every thing else.

I learned many things about myself this year and I am going share just a couple of the most important things. The first important thing I learned about myself is that I get distracted easily. This is a big problem for when I want to get work done. One of my goals for the coming year is to eliminate distractions. Another thing that I have learned about myself this year is that when I put my head down I can really get my work done. This can go with the other observations as if I get my distractions eliminated I could probably get lots of good work done in a fast period. The final thing I learned about myself this year is probably the fact that I work way better in projects that I enjoy.

To conclude this grade nine TPOL, I feel that I have done well as a learner this year. I have learned many different things and done well in most of those things. Of course there have been times I haven’t done well but I feel that next year I am ready to tackle those problems head on. My Goal for grade ten is “to try my best to eliminate my distractions to get my work done effectively, efficiently, and on time.” To finish this TPOLS I think that this year has been a success and it contained many great moment and learning opportunities. Thank you very much for listening.

The End