The 50’s

Hello everyone and welcome back to my blog. Today we are doing another weekly reflection post. The title above, “The 50’s” is very broad and non specific topic. In this post I want to talk about how one lesson sort of shifted my idea of Canada in the 50’s.

Generally the international community sees or stereotypes Canada and the nice guy who is always accepting and apologetic. Back in the 1950’s and especially before they were anything but. I personally have always thought Canada was a stewpot of diversity and acceptance. This idea was shook up when I heard in more detail about our immigration and refugee situation and ideologies in the 40’s and 50’s. In the 50’s Canada was still a primarily western European nation. This meant Canada denied entrance or made it hard to get in for any ethnic groups that weren’t European. The end of WW2 changed this with so many of Canada’s ethnic minorities fighting this changed. I was surprised to learn that even 70 years ago Canada begrudgingly eased of restrictions slowly for ethnic minorities. Over the years until today Canada has become a accumulation of culture that is now our national identity. 

A image I created that showed the increases in immigration post war

This has been my first weekly blog post for our new quarter. Thank you for reading and have a good day.