Cookies, Careers and Class

So, we’ve been working on health and career. As suggested by the name “health and career”, one of the aspects of this unit is career goals and planning.

Now, learning about this involved a couple of different things. Before you can start thinking about the future, you have to understand how you got to where you are now, so we began by each making a timeline of our lives thus far.

I had some trouble figuring out what events in my life were important enough to go on this timeline, but I eventually decided to go with the points at which I began to do things that I would continue to do for years afterwards.

The next part of our career study was doing a piece of writing detailing the steps to becoming “gifted” at something. There are a lot of things that I’m not gifted at, but I chose to write about baking.

My steps to becoming gifted at baking were as follows:

Step One: Practice. Find recipes, find ingredients, find utensils. Keep trying.
Step Two: Identify what you’re doing wrong. Burnt cookies? Non-buttered pan? Accidentally put whipping cream in the wrong bowl? Understand your mistakes so you know not to make them again.
Step Three: If needed, get help from someone who’s already gifted. Ask questions. Pay attention. Figure out why they are gifted.
Step Four: Research. If you’re still having trouble, try and find out what you need to do to become better. Get as much information as you possibly can, even if you might not need it.
Step Five: Practice more. Apply what you’ve learned. Try out new or more difficult recipes.
Step Six: Get feedback. Find out what other people think of your abilities. If needed, adapt to their needs or specifications.
Step Seven: Don’t give up. Nobody can be perfect at doing something. You will occasionally mess up something beyond repair. Remember that that’s fine.
Step Eight: Take breaks. Learn other skills that might be helpful to you.

That being done, we went on to take some aptitude tests. I found the results to mine a bit confusing and not all that appealing, but taking the tests was interesting.

Now, I don’t know what I want to do when I grow up. I have some ideas about what I’d like to study in university, but I don’t know where that’s leading in terms of a job, other than I want to be as financially stable as I can and hopefully do something I enjoy. This lack of a plan or dream made the next part of this assignment kind of difficult.

So, the main part of this assignment consisted of creating a video in which you had to introduce yourself and then tell a fairytale about your ideal future career. I don’t have an ideal future career yet, so I decided to continue down the vein of my writing assignment from before, and explore a potential career in baking.

While I’m not sure baking is actually a career I would be interested in persueing, this was a fun video to make, and it would be interesting to have a career doing something I enjoy.

Toodles!