(Insert Awesome Winter Exhibiton Here)

Hello, Internet.

So, we’ve been working on podcasts throughout the year. For our winter exhibiton project, we did a set of interviews: one with a grade twelve PLP student, one with a family member or close family friend, and one with someone who attended the exhibition.

We each worked on this project with a grade twelve counterpart who helped us edit our podcasts, prepare for the exhibition, and found people at the exhibition for us to Interview.

The interviews we did were based off the style of StoryCorps, an organization that does short interviews with everyday people about their everyday lives, working from the philosophy that everyone has a story. We listened to some StoryCorps interviews in order to learn a little bit about their style, and the type of questions we should be asking.

Our first job was to interview a grade 12 PLP student. I interviewed Michael Sutherland . For this interview, we had to come up with a list of questions, and as we were working with the grade 12s, we were allowed to tailor our questions specifically to whatever story they wanted to tell. In this case, Michael told the story of how he got, disliked, and came to like his job– a theme that I held up throughout the rest of my interviews.

Our second job was to interview a friend or family member. I interviewed my mum, Celia, about her time working in a courthouse. She talked about her experiences working there, and the judges that she worked with.

The third thing we did was the exhibiton interview. For this interview, we split off into pairs, and each pair of grade ten students, as well as their grade twelve counterparts, was given a room in which to interview people. We were told to make our rooms look “cozy and comfortable”, so we put lots of lamps and fairy lights, brought a couch up from the theatre, put blankets and pillows on the couch, and added a touch of holiday spirit via a mini Christmas tree with a picture of David Boreanaz on it.

Then we took it in turns to interview the people our grade twelves brought back. I interviewed three people, but I decided to use my final interview, in which I talked to Kym Bontinen about being a nurse, and teaching other people how to nurse.

While I enjoyed some parts of the interviews, I found interviewing people without a very stagnant set of questions to be difficult. I also found it difficult to get clear audio. These are things that I would like to improve on in the future.

Toodles.