(Insert Awesome mPOL Here)

Hello, Internet.

So it’s time for another mPOL (Or SLC if you prefer). This time around, we’re focusing on the question “How are you going to progress as a learner before the end of the school year?”.

Before I can look at how to progress, however, I have to take a look back at the work I’ve already done this year.

We have five PLP classea this year: math, science, maker, humanities and planning 10. We’ve done various projects across those subjects, but I’m going to focusing on a few of them.

One of the places that I’ve been struggling this year has been scimathics. I haven’t had trouble with the material, but I’ve found it awkward to adjust to a style of learning math and science that requires you to be able to apply those skills to other things, or to draw upon other skills during projects and assignments. While it makes sense to do these things, especially in PLP, I’m someone who prefers to have math and science tests, or at least a more even mix of tests and projects, rather than just projects, and I haven’t been enjoying the class that much. I also feel, however, that I’ve been slacking in those classes; doing sloppy work on projects that confuse me, or handing in assignments late, both of which are things that I don’t want to do this term.

One project that I actually really enjoyed, and felt I did well on this term was the Social Justice podcast, in which my group focussed on Indigenous Rights. What I wanted to do originally for this project was a different subject, and I was disappointed not to be able to have my first choice, but when I got over that and started putting effort and energy into the project, I ended up learning a lot, and I felt proud of the work I was doing. Feeling good about the work I was doing made it enjoyable, so I kept on doing well.

A project we’re currently working on is Destination Imagination. This has been something that I’ve found to be stressful in the past, and that I wasn’t particularly looking forward to this year. We’re in a stage of DI that requires going through some paperwork and doing some research, and it has been stressful, as per usual. However, that may be at least in part due to my own attitude towards and experiences with DI, and not the actual work itself.

Which brings me to the answer to my question: the way that I want to progress as a learner this year is to learn how to adapt, roll with the punches, and change my attitude about things even if they’re not exactly what I want. If I focus on changing my own attitude, instead of worrying about the things that I can’t change, I’ll have a better chance of being happy with the work that I’m doing.

Toodles.