2018 tPOL’s

Welcome to my tPOL(transitional presentation of learning) post. In this post I will be answering our driving question. “Why do you feel you are ready to advance to the next grade level?” To answer this question I am going to reflect on my growth as a learner, on my work ethic, habits and areas for improvement. I am also going to provide evidence of teamwork, responsibility and high quality work as a PLP learner.

Looking at the work I did throughout the year I have come up with a couple of examples that I would like to share with you. The first example of work that I would like to share is the science generator project that we completed in groups at the beginning of this term. We had to find a way to make a generator that would produce enough energy to light up a few small LED’s. At first our group decided to try and make a water wheel but throughout the project it wasn’t really working for us so in the end we made a small generator that uses a magnetic field to create small amounts of electricity. I am picking this project because I think it is a good example of learning and teamwork. We had to change our project a couple of times and had to take a lot of feedback during the project. On top of this I also had a lot of fun making the generator and filming the video that went along with it. This required a lot of communication and we all had different things that we were doing for the project. In the end it was something that I was happy with as it showed a lot of how we had to adapt as learners and as a team. 

One project that I think best symbolizes my teamwork skills was Destination Imagination, or DI. This is something that we have done very year in PLP and is a large part of our maker grade. We had more students than every doing it this year and our grade 10 class was even competing against the grade 9 class sot eh stakes were pretty high. I am picking this project as an example of my teamwork skills because of how we communicated and used our different strengths to help the team. For example, Simon is very good with designing and building things and Alex is good with writing and coming up with ideas. The strength in which I brought to the team was flexibility and being able to help on most of the different aspects of the challenge. If someone needed help with building anything or designing the story I would go and help to make sure that we getting the job done. In the tournaments our team performed very well both times at provincials and regionals and I think that most of that was due to our teamwork. We kept to our schedule, communicated very well and for the most part we did an equal amount of work. His year I was very happy with how we performed and it showed in our final results. 

For my final example of work I am choosing the WWII unit that we started at the beginning of term three. Like the WWI unit we did at the beginning of the year this was something that I found very interesting and I liked to learn about. Because it was something that I liked I think that I did some of my best work on it and did work that I am proud of. The biggest part of the unit was the website that we created in teams. We also made a book review and many other small assignments. This whole unit was something that I think I did well on and was very happy with how my work turned out. We made a unit end Blogpost that I think is one of the better ones that I have made this year as it included the work that I made, what I learned and all of the aspects of what makes a Blogpost. I really enjoyed learning about this and like I said in my last mPOL I am really trying to find the parts of the unit that I enjoy so I can do my best work on them. 

I hope you agree that this blog post is a good summary of my year of learning, and shows the areas I have developed in this year.  I think my teamwork skills have improved this year.  I know that I do my best work in units that are most interesting to me, and I hope that in Grade 11 I can really focus on these areas of interest.  I still need to make sure I am proof reading my work thoroughly and asking questions when I don’t understand something, and these areas of improvement will help me produce my best work.